• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2019
    More surprising perhaps is that I quite liked it too and I think that's the first time that has been the case with that composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2019
    Captain Marvel Pinar Toprak

Relatively well orchestrated, but generic as hell.
  1. That's my thoughts as well, sadly. The colors and textures are the only thing that's above average. I particularly like the little Lethal Weapon-esque bits with tapped cymbals and electric guitar, but they're always fleeting. Would have been cool to have the whole score go for that sort of sound instead of throwing a bunch of 80s synths at the 90s. Or do a full-on tribute to 90s MV scores like The Rock.
  2. At least nobody claims that she should "show some cleavage to set things straight" as I read on a friend's comment section on Facebook.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Southall wrote
    More surprising perhaps is that I quite liked it too and I think that's the first time that has been the case with that composer.

Mortal Engines I was pleasantly surprised with, this was meh!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2019
    NP: CAPTAIN MARVEL (Pinar Toprak)

God, I had to turn this off after 7-8 tracks. Annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WONDER PARK (Steven Price)

Also annoying, and had to be turned off. Geez.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PAPER TOWNS (Son Lux)

Aaaah. Better. Slow and beautiful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2019
    Captain Marvel Pinar Toprak

As a few people seem to sing this one's praises, I'm giving it another go. Though I can't quite see the appeal of a score that has themes as weak as theologians' logic. (Nor does it incorperate those themes particularly well throughout the score.)

The orchestrations are quite good, and the action writing is in parts impressive, but all the more frustrating for it; it's a ship without a rudder given the lack of decent thematic material.
  4. I listened to the score on Spotify twice. There are some impressive moments but these are indeed carried by orchestration, not by thematic development. While probably functional in context, this is nothing I will return to for its own sake.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2019
    Also, film reviewers seem to love scores that have noticeable retro synths (for lack of a better phrase), so it gets praise on that front, much like Thor: Ragnarok. But that too had quite weak thematic material. Hardly any professional film reviewers praised Ant-Man for having one of the most memorable themes not just in the MCU, but in recent years. Although I'm happy to be proved wrong there.
  5. Well. I actually liked Mothersbaugh's score for Ragnarok, which seemed to have an air of progressive rock about it because of yesteryear's synths. (Some of which I like to fool around with myself. smile ) Yet, in the case of Captain Marvel, they didn't do much for me.
  6. I think in Ragnarok they felt like a part of the score's identity, whereas in Captain Marvel they feel a bit tacked-on just to tick a trendy box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019
    Having listened to Thor: Ragnarok again, yes, its themes aren't too bad, and the synths are definitely integrated better. But my points still stand about Captain Marvel. It's a shame, because I suppose the SJW in me wanted the first female composer for a Marvel film to flourish. Instead, she performed adequately.

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World John Powell

The perfect final addition to the Dragon musical saga. The second was a great extention of the first score, but in this score he relies more on new themes. And what themes they are. 'Third Date' is this score's 'Forbidden Friendship', as was 'Flying With Mother' from the second score.

There will have to be a damn good score to top this in 2019.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019
    How To Train Your Dragon 3 > Solo
  7. Steven wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon 3 > Solo

Difficult to make a ranking here. Two very strong scores!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019
    NP: MUSIC FROM THE HUNGER GAMES SAGA (James Newton Howard)

Excellent Silva compilation which makes the scores out to be better than what they actually are when listened to individually.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Eleni Karaindrou - Bomb, yek asheghaneh

The new waltz never ceases to amaze me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2019 edited
    I've been meaning to check out Karaindrou's work properly for DECADES now, especially her work with Angelopoulos (which I've really only heard in the films). Guess there's no time like the present.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PETER GUNN (Henry Mancini)

cool

How about that Johnny Williams on piano, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2019
    DUMBO (Danny Elfman)

Very run of the mill for me. Elfman just never seems to be able to grab my attention, especially not recently.

THE HIGHWAYMEN (Thomas Newman)

This is hilariously listed on Spotify as from 1937 (probably because of the Benny Goodman song on it), which explains why I couldn't find it yesterday. Right down the bottom in Newman's discog.

I've been waiting out for new TN for ages now, he hasn't been that busy lately. This is really fun, standard Newman with Western influences which as it turns out is a really killer combination. Though if you don't usually enjoy Newman I wouldn't bother.
  8. I played tonight

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - Mark Mothersbaugh
    and
    Doctor Strange (2016) - Michael Giacchino

Two of my favourite Marvel scores, that both follow a somewhat similar formula: Combining symphonic music with element of popular music, the former with 80s new wave style music, the latter with rock music that stylistically I would place in the 70s. Both of them succeed admirably.

Volker
  9. NP: Justice League (2017) - Danny Elfman

I love Elfman in Superhero mode. The longer action cues are a bit all over the place but there are lots of gorgeous moments to be found here. Great score!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019 edited
    This is what Maintitles has been reduced to now. One or two new posts every week, and they're almost ALWAYS about superhero stuff. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019
    NP: POINT OF NO RETURN (Hans Zimmer)

The main theme is one of the best he's ever written; the rest is somewhat uneven. But still a damn fine score, for a great remake.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019
    Marco Prince - Total Western
  10. Classic space opera themes mostly from the 70s and 80s.
  11. Thor wrote
    This is what Maintitles has been reduced to now. One or two new posts every week, and they're almost ALWAYS about superhero stuff. sad

Be the change etc etc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019 edited
    I often try, but to no avail. I can neither force people to post more, to keep Maintitles going, nor to post about more interesting things than superhero stuff. I can only lament our demise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019 edited
    NP: CAT PEOPLE (Giorgio Moroder)

Brilliant -- both song and score!
    I am extremely serious.