• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019
    Thor wrote
    NP: CAT PEOPLE (Giorgio Moroder)

Brilliant -- both song and score!

Is this a sequel to Black Panther?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha! Good try!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DRIVING MISS DAISY (Hans Zimmer)

Some of Zimmer's lighter drama/comedy scores are hit and miss, but this is definitely hit.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: CAT PEOPLE (Giorgio Moroder)

Brilliant -- both song and score!

Is this a sequel to Black Panther?

bounce But Thor is right. One of the seminal electronic sores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019 edited
    Jules wrote
    THE HIGHWAYMEN (Thomas Newman)

While it reaches nowhere near the emotional heights of it, the score of his it most reminds me of is The Green Mile. Mostly in it's texture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE GREEN MILE is a good sell, but I doubt it's anywhere near that level. But you have me tantalized now; I'll get to it shortly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2019
    More in its texture and general portent than anything. Don't expect the any sort of heartrending, ala The Green Mile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019
    NP: THE HIGHWAYMEN (Thomas Newman)

I get what you mean, Lee. It's got that twangy Americana TN does so well, but no heartbreaking harmonic variations. OK, but nothing terribly exciting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019
    I'll pretty much listen to any Newman so I enjoyed this. But nowhere close to the Green Mile for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019 edited
    He has that Tolkien biopic coming up pretty soon. I imagine that should be better. In theory, anyway.

I also read recently that Sam Mendes has a First World War epic in the works, titled 1912. Should be a given that Newman is on board. I bloody hope anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2019 edited
    LSH wrote
    He has that Tolkien biopic coming up pretty soon. I imagine that should be better. In theory, anyway.

I doubt it. I expect another SAVING MR. BANKS.

I also read recently that Sam Mendes has a First World War epic in the works, titled 1912. Should be a given that Newman is on board. I bloody hope anyway.

That is more promising.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - John Williams

The La-La-Land edition. I bought new PC speakers, because my old system broke down. This is a fine way to introduce them.

Volker
  3. (1990) William the Conqueror (John Scott)

Boy oh boy, what a theme. Scott can truly write them. He has written so many great themes, but this one is my favourite (that and Lionheart love )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2019
    Jeff Rona - Traffic: The Miniseries

Unoriginal from start to finish, but everything works; the whaling, the atmospheric textures.... It basically combines his work for Martinez''s original score and its general sound with a cliched media ventures sound in a way that is unheard of. In fact, I regard this is as Rona's magnus opus.

And yes, in response to the previous post, it also features another, perhaps greater Scott....
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019 edited
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

I doubt it. I expect another SAVING MR. BANKS.

That is more promising.

It's titled 1917 and yes he is attached smile
    I sure hope that it's another SMB, I loved that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Jules wrote
    It's titled 1917

That definitely makes more sense. dizzy

Also, I thought this project was much further away from completion but it has a planned release date in December. Exciting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP: SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I love this to bits! Good to see John Powell has this in his list of top 100 scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019
    Timmer wrote
    NP: SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I love this to bits! Good to see John Powell has this in his list of top 100 scores.

Yes, I saw that too. Some fine choices there, great to see so many shared favourite scores!

Speaking of...

Alien Jerry Goldsmith

1979 was Goldsmith's equivalent of Williams' 1977. It's no exaggeration to declare this one of the greatest scores ever written (and a blueprint for sci-fi/horror scores). When was the next time a composer wrote two of the greatest scores ever written in the same year? Williams again in 1993? Horner in 1995?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2019
    NP: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD - JOHN POWELL

This guy is a fucking genius. This is just utterly lovely.

My favourite moment (from my favourite cue) is around four and a half minutes into Third Date when five energetic passes of the love theme go from playful to stirringly dramatic and then it all releases into a gorgeous string-led release. What a great moment.

This guy will go far.
  4. NP: The Green Mile (1999) - Thomas Newman

I have seen this film several times but never gave the score its due attention. Since it was praised here lately I gave it a listen. Wow. Consider me impressed!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2019
    It's one of his very best, Volker.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Jan A.P. Kaczmarek - Quo Vadis

Pokój Przesladowanym (Lament) remains a immense melancholic, over the top piece of art, while Milosci Umieranie (Medytacja) is by far the greatest cue resembling a perfect meditative take on the 'thematic cycle mode'' of Wojciech Kilar.

I have listened to this score hundreds of times, and yet I never felt to review it properly. Maybe soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can't remember his name at the moment, but there was a guy on FSM who raved about that score (and Kaczmarek in general) several years ago. After checking it out myself, I don't know what all the fuss was about, but I'm open to giving it a second chance.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Finding Neverland is the the only score by him I know. I didn't listen to it since it was released I'm afraid.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019 edited
    NP: HIGH SPIRITS (George Fenton)

Rambunctious score! I've never understood, however, why it's recorded/mixed this way. Very spacey and distant.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    I can't remember his name at the moment, but there was a guy on FSM who raved about that score (and Kaczmarek in general) several years ago. After checking it out myself, I don't know what all the fuss was about, but I'm open to giving it a second chance.

Never make the mistake of seeing the film though. While Kawalerowicz was one of our masters, calling Quo Vadis (an adaptation of an epic ancient Rome novel, mind you) a "misfire" is an understatement of Himalayan proportions.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Beyond the Sky (Don Davis)

I expect more from this, especially from Davis. I wasn't expecting much, but at least I was expecting music. Too bad because most of it is noise, ambience and barely something worth remembering
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. played two days ago:
    First Man (2018) - Justin Hurwitz
    For some reason this film went by me unnoticed. I just got aware of it when I saw the BluRay on display in a shop. I have jet to see the film. Some research showed, that I had to familiarize myself with the score. It is a lovely melodic score that builds up to the much praised track "The Landing". A score that I will surely return to.

Just played:
    Hollywoods's greatest Hits Vol I by Erich Kunzel
    One of the first film music related CDs I bought back in the day and still a great album, a fine album to accompany an Easter Sunday's morning.

Volker
  9. NP: John Williams & Steven Spielberg - The Ultimate Collection (1990-2017)

So far I was only familiar with the initial "Collaboration" album and only now I got the 3 CD (plus one DVD) box set. All I can say is, that these are fantastic albums, thoughtfully edited and produced. Also they really sound marvelous. This anthology gives you the most astounding composer-director collaboration in a nutshell. If you don't have it, get it!

Volker
  10. NP: The Star Wars Trilogy (1983)
    Utah Symphony Orchestra; Varujan Kojian

Roses are red, violets are blue,
    John Williams is a genius
    What else is new? wink