• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2019 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: John Williams & Steven Spielberg - The Ultimate Collection (1990-2017)

So far I was only familiar with the initial "Collaboration" album and only now I got the 3 CD (plus one DVD) box set. All I can say is, that these are fantastic albums, thoughtfully edited and produced. Also they really sound marvelous. This anthology gives you the most astounding composer-director collaboration in a nutshell. If you don't have it, get it!

Volker

Volume 2 is one of my favourite soundtrack compilations of all time. Also the one I got first, back in the mid 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Battlestar Galactica (1978) + Daybreak (2009)

The Lords of Kobol smiled on Stu Phillips and Bear Mccreary when they wrote the opening and closing musical chapters for this Saga of a Star World. I'd really had liked to see Mccreary score Villeneuve's DUNE. Hans Zimmer in Interstellar mode should be interesting all the same.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2019
    Working through Avengers Endgame (Silvestri) and enjoying it so far, but just looked at the length - it's nearly 2 hours long!! Don't remember the last time someone released that long of an album that wasn't a deluxe edition or something similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2019
    It's ridiculous. Silvestri used to be such a good album arranger, but in the last few years he has really gone overboard with the length of his soundtracks. The COSMOS stuff, READY PLAYER ONE, the Marvels etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. No CD, no sale.
  3. PROJECT X - James Horner

My first listen to this score ever. I’m really glad Intrada rereleased it. It’s fun to here the genesis of some of his other scores here (MIGHTY JOE YOUNG clearly got its sound from this one, and even THE ROCKETEER has some of its origins here, I think). He also taps into some of the same wonder that you get in COCOON. It’s crazy to me that “Flying” wasn’t on the original score album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2019 edited
    christopher wrote
    PROJECT X - James Horner

My first listen to this score ever...

So many young people here! I grew up with that film. Fond nostalgic memories.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'm older than you, young one. Never heard of that film, much less the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2019 edited
    NP: PAYCHECK - JOHN POWELL

Give this guy the upcoming Bond film.... PLEASE!

If you mated this with his Bourne stuff, you’d have a perfect Bond score, I’m tellin ya.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2019
    Jules wrote
    Working through Avengers Endgame (Silvestri) and enjoying it so far, but just looked at the length - it's nearly 2 hours long!! Don't remember the last time someone released that long of an album that wasn't a deluxe edition or something similar.

Listened to this twice yesterday and think it’s excellent. But I won’t usually have that long so need a compressed playlist ASAP (primarily because I want to listen to it again tonight but will only have an hour or so). Some wonderful highlights in there.
  5. NP: The Genius of Film Music - The London Philharmonic Orchestra; John Mauceri

The concert suits from Cleopatra (North), Mutiny on the Bounty (Kaper) and The Godfather (Rota) make this live recording stand out.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2019
    Southall wrote
    Jules wrote

Listened to this twice yesterday and think it’s excellent. But I won’t usually have that long so need a compressed playlist ASAP (primarily because I want to listen to it again tonight but will only have an hour or so). Some wonderful highlights in there.

Here's one James if you still need it: https://open.spotify.com/user/king...ju … pUNXjOIWWw

Got it down to 1 hr 8 min, tried not to just take out action cues and kept a good mix I think, but there's probably a few that you could still cut.
  6. Laura - Forever Amber: The Classic Film Scores of David Raskin
    Charles Gerhardt, The National Philharmonic Orchestra

A wonderful album featuring a composer I know deplorable little about.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2019
    It's a great album.

Raksin is woefully underrepresented on disc. I'd love a soundtrack of THE REDEEMER.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Played yesterday: The Phantom Menace (1999)
    Now playing: The Force Awakens (2015)

This coming December will present us with the 9th Star Wars score by John Williams. How great is that? What compares to that? Shores musical universe for Middle Earth comes to mind. Apart from that only Richard Wagner.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2019 edited
    I was super excited when we got The Force Awakens, and spent many months listening to it... but I've since fallen out of love with it. It's great on paper, but much like the films, there's no magic, no fantasy. It's hollow. If I'm in the mood for a John Williams action score, it isn't bad. If I'm in the mood for Star Wars, it doesn't cut it.

The Last Jedi has even less heart/magic/call-it-what-you-will than The Force Awakens. Although it's still a John Williams score and retains a minimum level of quality we would expect, it's easily the worst Star Wars score (and that includes many of the non-John Williams Star Wars scores). Williams is a professional and will write decent music no matter the film, but clearly the shitshow that was The Last Jedi had absolutely no emotional impact on him, and it shows. I rarely revisit The Last Jedi, and even The Force Awakens is getting far less 'spins' these days.

It's always exciting to hear new Williams, but my expectations for what will probably be the last Star Wars score from him aren't exactly astronomical. The fact that other composers write more interesting scores is a testament to the fact that these new Star Wars films are shit.

tl;dr Disney sucks.
  8. Yes and no. I still find The Force Awakens a strong score with great thematic material. The Last Jedi (We are in agreement concerning the film.) was a difficult film to score utilising the leitmotiv approach. Essentially no new characters, no new places, at least none of relevance, so there was little honey to be sucked from that. In consequence the album runs more like a best of Star Wars album than a film score. And it overuses the The Force theme.
    If (IF!) J.J. Abrams is to believe, The Rise of Skywalker (What a shit title!) will tie the whole episodic narrative together. Should he succeed in this, then Williams' music might reflect that and that might result in a really great score. I'm aware of the ifs here. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2019
    The Force Awakens still remains one if the best scores of the century. There’s so much magic, fantasy, excitement and drama. The themes are brilliant especially Rey’s, which is one of the saga’s best.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yikes, those are big words. Although TFA is one of Williams' better ones in his disappointing period post-2005, it's still a score that fails to engage me much. It didn't even make it to my top 10 of 2015 (well, the FILM did, but not the score).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My opinion's pretty close to Erik's. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2019
    NP: Susumu Hirasawa - Parpika

My friend brought me a used copy from Japan YES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019 edited
    NP: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Suite - John Williams

Symphonic suite based upon "the Disney themed land". It's ok.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Captain Future wrote
    No CD, no sale.

I believe there is a CD of Endgame coming out on May 24. Not sure whether it's the same length as the digital release or a shorter one like Infinity War got, though. Hopefully the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019
    NP: TOLKIEN - THOMAS NEWMAN

I’m liking this. A lot.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    No CD, no sale.

I believe there is a CD of Endgame coming out on May 24. Not sure whether it's the same length as the digital release or a shorter one like Infinity War got, though. Hopefully the latter.

I see, amazon.de has it listed for May 31st. It has 28 tracks as opposed to the 35 tracks of the digital release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote

I’m liking this. A lot.

Oooh! I didn't knew. Newman is so off the radar to me, even though he's one of my favourite composers. He is rarely scoring high profile stuff.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Suite - John Williams

Symphonic suite based upon "the Disney themed land". It's ok.

Agreed. It's very ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    LSH wrote

I’m liking this. A lot.

Oooh! I didn't knew. Newman is so off the radar to me, even though he's one of my favourite composers. He is rarely scoring high profile stuff.

I've known about this for a while. Listening to it now; it's pretty good. Better than I had expected -- much better than SAVING MR. BANKS, which I expected this to sound like.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I'm excited about that one.

This morning I listened to season two of Frederik Wiedmann's THE DRAGON PRINCE. It's pretty good. It's too synthy for me a lot of the time, but the solo instruments help get past that. There are some nice highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    LSH wrote

I’m liking this. A lot.

I've known about this for a while. Listening to it now; it's pretty good. Better than I had expected -- much better than SAVING MR. BANKS, which I expected this to sound like.

It's like a more serious Saving Mr. Banks. A good mix of slow and rhythmic ideas, as per usual, but with a far more somber tone overall. The use of choir - the London Voices - is really quite lovely (and a rare touch for Newman) and it works beautifully with the rest of his typical palette. Some cues are frustratingly short but, hey, it's Newman.