• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019
    Yes, the voices are the REAL highlight here. Probably not a nod to the Shore LOTR scores (haven't seen the film), but lovely nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019 edited
    I think it's a very strong score. There are definitely a few cues from this going into my 'Newman Master-Playlist'... which is more than what I can say about his previous score, The Highwaymen, which left me almost completely cold.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2019
    I really like it, but I'm also positive on Saving Mr Banks. I can't detect much Shore influence, which I see quite a few reviewers talking about. Maybe a little Enya on the voices though?
  1. Thomas Newman - Tolkien

After Fellowship came out as a single on Spotify I had it on repeat.

The score is Newman nowhere outside of his comfort zone (and while a rare touch, the choir does harken at Road to Perdition, doesn't it?), but what a comfort zone it is. Stuff like Fellowship and Starlit is the reason why he gets to the core of me so well, whatever that core is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2019
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - Tolkien

After Fellowship came out as a single on Spotify I had it on repeat.

The score is Newman nowhere outside of his comfort zone (and while a rare touch, the choir does harken at Road to Perdition, doesn't it?), but what a comfort zone it is. Stuff like Fellowship and Starlit is the reason why he gets to the core of me so well, whatever that core is.

It's quite hilarious that if it was any other composer, I would be enormously cynical about the amount of similarity between virtually all Newman scores, but from him, it just works. It's like coming home after a long holiday each time, and just being enveloped in those beautiful, simple piano melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely.

I still maintain, though, that hadn't it been for Shore's LOTR scores, I'm not sure Newman would have employed the choral colours here the same way. I think it's supposed to mirror some sort of vague link between the man and his work. But it's just a hunch; I'll have to see the film first.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    Thor wrote
    Absolutely.

I still maintain, though, that hadn't it been for Shore's LOTR scores, I'm not sure Newman would have employed the choral colours here the same way. I think it's supposed to mirror some sort of vague link between the man and his work. But it's just a hunch; I'll have to see the film first.

You're probably right, and those scores are so intertwined with the source material now (when I read the books I actually hear the themes) he might have not even intended for it to be a kind of homage.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    Harry Gregson Williams' Penguins is straightforward but really pleasant, would highly recommend.
  2. Thor wrote
    Absolutely.

Or his religious faith. He is one of the most prominent Catholics of the 20th century (also responsible for bringing C. S. Lewis back into Christianity, though it was reportedly very disappointing that Lewis became Anglican). I have read somewhere that the film does not ignore that aspect of Tolkien's life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Perhaps. But something about the way the choir is used chromatically here, reminds me more of LOTR than religious music.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I associate it more with Road to Perdition for some reason (and yes, I know that it incorporated a recording).
  4. Jules wrote
    Harry Gregson Williams' Penguins is straightforward but really pleasant, would highly recommend.

it was fun indeed. But I've heard better.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote

Any recommendations?
  5. Jules wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote

Any recommendations?

talking Harry Gregson-Williams or documentaries?
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote

Any recommendations?

Oh, I thought you were talking just scores in a similar vein...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2019
    I know I'm not here much these days but I'm still listening to great music.

NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

Pure class!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2019 edited
    Just continue your 'absence', Tim, and then perhaps in 10 years, I've overtaken your post count! Only 24.000 more to go.... wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Jules wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote

Any recommendations?

Oh, I thought you were talking just scores in a similar vein...

just better in general smile
    But I must say that I wasn't expecting it to be good, so I was pleasantly surprised
  7. CLIFFS OF FREEDOM - George Kallis

This is very nice. I'm only part of the way through it, but I'm impressed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2019
    Thor wrote
    Just continue your 'absence', Tim, and then perhaps in 10 years, I've overtaken your post count! Only 24.000 more to go.... wink

biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2019
    Hedwig's Theme - Anne-Sophie Mutter (Violin)

New violin arrangement conducted by Williams. Absolutely brilliant.
  8. I know a guy who worked on the recording for that, actually. Friend of my mom's. I guess that puts me at three degrees of separation from John Williams?
  9. I recently saw her on TV playing music by Williams, accompanied by the Staatskapelle Berlin. Her interpretation of Across the Stars was breathtaking.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2019
    Ennio Morricone - La Sconosciuta

The only Morricone that feels like a rollercoaster ride. Fantastic.
  10. I just caught the last minutes of a concert by Alexandre Desplat conducting his film music on arte TV. No worries, it is on demand in the arte "Mediathek", at least in Germany and perhaps also in France.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2019 edited
    NP: THE ROCKETEER - JAMES HORNER

Haven't listened to this in ages. What a gem.

cool
  11. Two new entries in my collection:

Twilight Zone The Movie (1983) - Jerry Goldsmith

Sublime. I need to revisit some of the Maestro's works.

The Orville (2017) - Broughton, McNeely, Debney, Cottee

The La-La-Land 2-CD set. 140 Minutes of music is quite a bit to digest. The quality is a bit uneven, but it's never boring. There is probably a very strong 50 minutes album in here. Still, I am glad, LLL gave us all. It's a tribute to a great era of space opera scoring.

Volker
  12. Jerry Goldsmith - Medicine Man

Never saw the film. But always liked the score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019
    Never saw the film either. But it's one of my JG favourites.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019
    NP: BERLIN CALLING (Paul Kalkbrenner)

Hard electronica; very Berlin scene. Love it.
    I am extremely serious.