• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Never saw the film either. But it's one of my JG favourites.

The film is okay, the music of course is the star of the film.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019
    NP: GOOD OMENS (David Arnold)

Always nice whenever Arnold releases new stuff (which is about once every 10 years these days), and this has some good tracks. But also a lot of 'filler'. The album is far too long; need to set aside time to whittle it down to about 50 minutes or so.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2019
    Raymond Lefèvre - Le Gendarme de St. Tropez

Horrific.
  2. RIM OF THE WORLD - Bear McCreary

Those last two tracks are pretty great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2019
    Yes. A very impressive score from Bear.
    Much like Goldsmith's scenarios where the music is way better than the film it was written for!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2019
    Wow I haven't commented here for a while!

Anyway, I've been listening to Zimmer's Dark Phoenix score. Even though it sounds like a mashup of man of steel/the dark knight/the amazing spider man 2, it's great to hear Zimmer in power anthem territory again. Great working/writing music.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Ennio Morricone - Il fiore delle mille e una notte

Organs.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    And now The Sound of Music. Let's see if I survive the torture.

Upcoming: Charles Fox - Foul Play and Tyler Bates - The Devil's Rejects. I love a cultural night....
  3. NP: Ghostbusters (1984) - Elmer Bernstein

The new Sony release arrived today and I am a most happy camper to finally fill that gap in my collection. I am not the biggest of Bernstein fans (To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourites though.) and this is not a score I will return to for sheer listening pleasure. I love the film so much that I just had to have this CD, since I never layed my hands on the Varese Sarabande edition.
    What annoys me is, how some people are cross with Sony for handling their own property and how La-La-Land would have done everything better. They go on about what was wrong with the Varese CD and what is wrong with the Sony release and that Sony doesn't understand what the fanbase really wants, whoever that fanbase is supposed to be and whyever someone feels empowered to speak for them.
    For my part, I am most happy to finally have that score in my collection.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: Das Wunder von Bern / The Miracle of Bern (2003) - Marcel Barsotti

NRD Radiophilharmonie conducted by Nic Raine

The film features the story of the German national football team winning the world cup for the first time in 1954. Melodic, sometimes understated, triumphant where it ought to be. Very nice!

Volker
  5. Atham wrote
    Yes. A very impressive score from Bear.
    Much like Goldsmith's scenarios where the music is way better than the film it was written for!

funny you say Goldsmith, considering when I heard that first track, I immediately thought of ... Explorers wink
    But yes a fun score for a laughable film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Avengers: Endgame - Alan Silvestri (2019)

The CD program. This is a score that draws my undivided attention. I listened to it yesterday. Not for the first time, but the first time by headphones. It's a rich and rewarding score. I didn't see the film so far and I am quite curious to experience the music in context. I number this score among the best action scores, Silvestri has written.
    (Sorry, Thor, a super hero score again. wink )

Volker
  7. James Horner - Enemy at the Gates

Nothing, for me, more appropriate for this tragic anniversary than the score that made me a fan after a few years of being clueless.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. NP: Mona, L'étoile sans nom (1963) - Georges Delerue

A long time virtual Holy Grail of mine. Virtual, because I never thought possible this would ever actually get a release on CD. I had a recording of the main theme on a compilation for many, many years. It is a haunting bitter-sweet theme, IMO one of Delerue's finest.
    Almost the entire score was released on EP back in the day, featuring 9 minutes of music. Minimal scoring indeed.
    By chance I discovered that Disques Cinemusique reconstructed the EP content for a release limited to 500 CDs. This is the original recording.
    The main feature (and title of the CD) is Le Bestiaire d'amour, a score for a long forgotten documentary. The orchestral music was re-recorded by Robert Lafont, using samples. I haven't yet listened to this music. Like many fans, I am ambivalent when it comes to using orchestral samples. It is better, than having no release at all, I guess.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2019
    Captain Future wrote
    I number this score among the best action scores, Silvestri has written.

shocked

I think it's rather dull, much like Infinity War, with roughly 20 minutes of solid material. IMO, Endgame doesn't even come close to other Silvestri actioners like Judge Dredd, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing, or Richocet. It's not even as good as the original Avengers score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. I adore it, Great action music throughout and at times incredibly moving. The orchestration is consistently brilliant and there are a couple of moments I find insanely rousing, particularly the 'Portals' cue which gets me every single time I play it. His 4 Marvel scores and 'The Walk' are my favourite scores of the last 15 years.

Has anyone given 'Toy Story 4' a listen yet, any thoughts?
  10. John Chambers wrote
    His 4 Marvel scores and 'The Walk' are my favourite scores of the last 15 years.

omg omg omg
  11. Is that really so shocking Edmund? What are yours?
  12. Re-reading my earlier message I should clarify I mean my favourite Silvestri scores of the last 15 years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2019
    Far From Home Suite Home Michael Giacchino

Well this is a nice surprise.
  13. John Chambers wrote
    I adore it, Great action music throughout and at times incredibly moving. The orchestration is consistently brilliant and there are a couple of moments I find insanely rousing, particularly the 'Portals' cue which gets me every single time I play it. His 4 Marvel scores and 'The Walk' are my favourite scores of the last 15 years.

That mirrors my own experience. smile
  14. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2019
    I can see where Erik is coming from. A lot of it feels like filler, wallpaper and fairly average by Silvestri's standards. And it's not helped by a flat, dull recording. It's a shame, because there are some really great highlights in the three scores, especially Portals.

Take the best tracks from his three Avengers scores and you would have a damn good album.
  15. John Chambers wrote
    Re-reading my earlier message I should clarify I mean my favourite Silvestri scores of the last 15 years!

That makes...a lot more sense haha
  16. David Arnold - Godzilla

I never really was a fan of the composer and this is a good reminder. I prefer Desplat's and, definitely, McCreary's take.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2019
    I'm a fan of 90s Arnold and Bond Arnold. I'm not a fan of quirky BBC TV show Arnold or hangs-around-with-bands Arnold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    David Arnold - Godzilla

I never really was a fan of the composer and this is a good reminder. I prefer Desplat's and, definitely, McCreary's take.

Madness! Arnold's is a million times better and more engaging than either of those two (which I found largely annoying).
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Love Arnold and his Godzilla though I'm a little surprised to see the same sentiment from you, Thor, given how loud that score is punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, you have to remember that when it comes to 90s scores and earlier, I'm usually in line with all the other lovers of big symphonic action scores here. It's contemporary, post-2000 scores in the same idiom I tend to have issues with (for the most part; there are exceptions here too).
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Steven wrote
    Far From Home Suite Home Michael Giacchino

Well this is a nice surprise.

Indeed! One of the best cues from 2019 I've heard so far.