• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2019
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Love Arnold and his Godzilla though I'm a little surprised to see the same sentiment from you, Thor, given how loud that score is punk

Don't get too excited. I think he likes the original score album that has a lot less action. tongue

But yeah, no, it's an insane score in the best way possible. Recording this must have been fun.
  1. Thor wrote
    Well, you have to remember that when it comes to 90s scores and earlier, I'm usually in line with all the other lovers of big symphonic action scores here. It's contemporary, post-2000 scores in the same idiom I tend to have issues with (for the most part; there are exceptions here too).

Do you think that has more to do with the music itself or your perception thereof? I think this is quite interesting. For instance, if you were to listen to a big grand bombastic action score from the 90s that you had never heard before, would you enjoy it or not?
  2. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Love Arnold and his Godzilla though I'm a little surprised to see the same sentiment from you, Thor, given how loud that score is punk

Don't get too excited. I think he likes the original score album that has a lot less action. tongue

But yeah, no, it's an insane score in the best way possible. Recording this must have been fun.

The original album that had like 7 minutes of score and a shitload of songs?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wasn't there a bootleg score album? Regardless, even I think the 2 disc version is too much. But there are more than enough highlights to make a great album (that is, if you like the score).
  3. It was about as long as the official limited release, but sans the bonus tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Do you think that has more to do with the music itself or your perception thereof? I think this is quite interesting. For instance, if you were to listen to a big grand bombastic action score from the 90s that you had never heard before, would you enjoy it or not?

I don't think such a thing exists, as I'm pretty up-to-date about all things that came out in that decade, but I'd probably enjoy it. Back then, these scores were more extrovert, thematically driven, with wider dynamic range than they eventually became.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019
    Steven wrote
    Far From Home Suite Home Michael Giacchino

Well this is a nice surprise.

Here, have a suite from the second movie to enjoy :-)

https://www.facebook.com/SonyPicturesIR … 175866950/
  4. Caliburn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Far From Home Suite Home Michael Giacchino

Well this is a nice surprise.

Here, have a suite from the second movie to enjoy :-)

https://www.facebook.com/SonyPicturesIR … 175866950/

I really like this! This isn't the same suite on youtube is it?

This morning I gave RORY'S WAY by Frank Ilfman a first listen. It's very pretty. A little too low key for fans of bigger music, but I enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2019 edited
    I can't believe it's been four years, this week, since we lost James Horner. shocked

NP: THE PERFECT STORM - JAMES HORNER

This one always struck a chord with me... and the (unofficial) expanded version is grand. Hope it gets an official expansion one day. There's so much great action music here.
  5. NP: The Goonies (1985) - Dave Grusin

The recent Varese Sarabande release. Believe it or not, I have never seen that film. Also this is the first entry that Grusin makes in my collection. The score seems to be a lot of fun!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Revisiting an old friend smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2019
    Tôn-Thât Tiêt - Xich Lo
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Goonies (1985) - Dave Grusin

The recent Varese Sarabande release. Believe it or not, I have never seen that film. Also this is the first entry that Grusin makes in my collection. The score seems to be a lot of fun!

Volker

the movie is a lot of fun, and the score is so enjoyable in it. If you can accept constant shouting and running around teenagers (though all in the good sense of 80's fun), you really should give this one a chance.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. NP: Heaven & Earth (1993) - Kitaro

Amazing!
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

the movie is a lot of fun, and the score is so enjoyable in it. If you can accept constant shouting and running around teenagers (though all in the good sense of 80's fun), you really should give this one a chance.

He's a teacher. That's his day job.
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

dizzy wave
  11. Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

dizzy wave

then why haven't you've seen it? Go GO smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. NP: Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) - Ramin Djawadi

Still largely ignorant of books and show, I have all 8 albums of film music in my collection. The journey closes with a lavish 2 CD album. The music is as strong as it ever was.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2019 edited
    I've never really understood the praise Djawadi gets for Game of Thrones. I put it down to a love of the show, and anything related to it. There are some okay tracks, some catchy tunes, but nothing beyond that. Not only this, but his approach to scoring many of the scenes were utterly lacklustre.

Point in case: The entire episode of The Long Night in season 8. Say what you will about the writing, but the visual spectacle of that episode was clearly a watershed moment for TV. But Djawadi wrote one long, tense underscore with a shitty piano theme at the end. The most boring, simplistic and unemotional approach to a visually epic, episode-long battle scene.

Or when Jon and Dany were flying on friggin' dragons. The music was painfully boring. How do you see a scene like that and decide, "You know what this needs? Nothing special." He's like the anti-John Powell.

The main theme is the best thing, and even that is nothing beyond okay. rolleyes

The show had its problems and turned into utter shite the longer it went on, but there were countless opportunities to have much more interesting things happening in the music.
  13. Well, this is one of the rare occasions, when I can't relate the music to pictures, moods or characters. And even though the albums have their share of filler cues, I still like most of the music. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2019
    All power to ya, but my god I hate the praise these scores get, especially from non-film music fans.

I know food analogies are over used, but it's like someone praising McDonald's for being this wonderful little local restaurant where they serve the best food.
  14. NP: Shaka Zulu (1986) - Dave Pollecutt

Do you know a score, that you consider a holy grail, even though few people besides you are even aware of it? Dave Pollecutt was a rather low profile South African TV composer. To be fair, the underscore here is nothing special. The magic resides in the vocal cues. Those are outstanding.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019
    NP: Bad Boys (1995) - Marc Mancina

I had to give this amazing score a relisten after the news of Balfe going to score the new one.
  15. NP: Flight of the Navigator (1986) - Alan Silvestri

A delightful and uplifting little score for a delightful and uplifting film. A CD was released only in the 90s. It sells for lunatic money now. I just discovered there is a budget priced digital download available from amazon (and possibly in other places). This probably diminishes the likeliness of a CD reissue from one of the boutique labels. Nevertheless the music is here to enjoy.
    This is a purely synthesizer based score, featuring 80s pop sensibilities a la Moroder and Faltermayer. So this is probably not everyone's cup of tea. wink

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2019
    Krzesimir Debski - Stara Basn - Kiedy Slonce Bylo Bogiem

Brilliant from start to finish.
  16. Hans Zimmer - Drop Zone

Because of... The Lion King's Stampede cue. Today it's the finale only (as in the two final action tracks). It's fun, but I think a bit overrated as I prefer Broken Arrow to it. It gets a bit incoherent at times.
  17. I hadn't listened to Thomas Newman's Meet Joe Black in awhile and well...it's still incredible. And makes me weep every time.
  18. NP: The Sign of Four (1983) - Harry Rabinowitz

The Opening Titles Suite that I ripped from the DVD. You'll also find the music on YouTube.

Volker
  19. NP: Theme from Remington Steele (1982) - Henry Mancini

I was never able to hunt this theme down on some Mancini or TV themes compilation. Now I found, what appears to be the original recording, on a Spanish compilation. (Grandes Clásicos de la Tele, Vol. 1) It's on Spotify and amazon, download only.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2019
    NP: THE SPITFIRE GRILL - JAMES HORNER

On a journey, ploughing through every Horner score chronologically. Up to 1995. I'm in no way a Horner-basher (I love his music regardless of the nay-sayers) but when you plough through his entire filmography it does play like an enormously long concept album, haha. Finding motives here and there... can never place where they came from. This is great though.

cool