• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote
    TRAUMFABRIK - Philipp Noll

Wow. This is really impressive. It has some absolutely HUGE moments (those last two tracks), and is just really solid all the way through. One of the best scores I've heard from 2019, and highly recommended.

This is the first time that this composer comes to my attention. I see, that this is his first cinematic project. He had some notable TV assignments though. I checked out those two last cues you mentioned. Wow! I'll listen to the entire album these days and I'll keep an eye on the fellow.

I only just discovered him as well. If this album is anything to go by, then I very much look forward to his future work.
  2. CYBERWORK AND THE AMERICAN DREAM - Chad Cannon

First listen. I'm only a handful of tracks into the album, but I'm impressed so far. There is a lot of energy in this music. I think I saw that Jon had this in his favorite 10 scores of the year so far, and I can see why. It might end up in mine as well.
  3. NP: Ghost Rider (2007) - Christopher Young

I'm not the biggest fan of Christopher Young but this sore really floats my boat. I like the film too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2019
    MichaƂ Lorenc i DesOrient - Muzyka Filmowa

Such a great, alternative take on the music of Lorenc.
  4. Listening to The Hunger Games by JNH for the first time. For some reason it reminds me more of something Thomas Newman would do rather than James Newton Howard. But I like that the themes are not overplayed and there's a lot of variation track to track. All around enjoying it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2019
    I've always had trouble getting into the HUNGER GAMES scores individually, but I love the compilation album that Silva did awhile back. Really showcased the wonderful highlights of those scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2019
    For the time being, I felt like I needed to revisit the music to the N64 game Goldeneye. There is some material that ties in with Serra's score, but the only one worth mentioning is the score in the ''Facility'' level. Over the years, many people re-done them (semi) orchestrally and I like browsing through all these efforts.
  5. NP: The Red Pony

1949: Aaron Copland, performed by the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Leonard Slatkin

1973: Jerry Goldsmith, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Nic Raine

Wonderful music, great performances!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2019
    The Omen: The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection Prague City Philharmonic Orchestra

This was my first foray into non-90s, non-Star Trek Goldsmith way-back-when, and has a huge amount of nostalgic value. It introduced me to many of my favourite Goldsmith scores.

Some of the recordings aren't perfect, but I don't care. The quality of the music (which is the largest factor no matter how much nostalgia there is) plus the nostalgia continues to make this one of my all-time favourite albums.

The larger 4 disc set from Prague is also a great album. But if I want something a little more concise, this is the one I go for.
  6. Great album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2019
    The Rocketeer James Horner

For those who have seen the film, a piece of chewing gum is used to allow the jetpack to work, holding it together. The score is essentially that for the film.

If ever there was an example of a score that glued the film together, it's this.
  7. I haven't seen that film since I was a kid.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. I've never seen it! One of these days. I really ought to do a marathon of all the films that have my favorite scores in them, but I'm worried that some of the bad ones (not The Rocketeer necessarily, more stuff like Krull and Cutthroat Island and the 1998 Godzilla) will negatively impact the mental images that the music conjures up on its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2019
    ^ They're all silly popcorn films. If you go into them with that thinking then you'll have fun and have a better appreciation for what those scores do for those films and how freeing those films were for the composers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2019 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ They're all silly popcorn films. If you go into them with that thinking then you'll have fun and have a better appreciation for what those scores do for those films and how freeing those films were for the composers.

-Erik-

That's a pretty accurate analysis.

I remember finally watching Lionheart (the one with the Goldsmith score) after years of appreciation for that score and being completely amazed about how Jerry managed to come up with so many wonderful themes for such a desaster of a "movie". Though I must admit that I never saw the original, just a german dubbed version, which might have taken away any decency it may have had, given Eric Stoltz and Gabriel Byrne are in it.

That said, "Great Scores for Lousy Movies" should be its own topic. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2019
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

We already have it.
  9. Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

We already have it.

biggrin Well put!
  10. This morning I'm discovering Nainita Desai's UNTAMED ROMANIA, which is lovely so far, and very much in the tradition of gorgeous nature documentary scores. My only complaint about scores like these is that while they have lovely music throughout, each track is usually self-contained and doesn't obviously relate to the rest of the score as a whole. There aren't major themes woven throughout the score. So it ends up being a collection of very nice individual pieces of music without a strong identity overall. METSAN TARINA seems to be the exception to the rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2019 edited
    christopher wrote
    This morning I'm discovering Nainita Desai's UNTAMED ROMANIA, which is lovely so far, and very much in the tradition of gorgeous nature documentary scores. My only complaint about scores like these is that while they have lovely music throughout, each track is usually self-contained and doesn't obviously relate to the rest of the score as a whole. There aren't major themes woven throughout the score. So it ends up being a collection of very nice individual pieces of music without a strong identity overall. METSAN TARINA seems to be the exception to the rule.

It's OK, but has too many tracks going nowhere. It's currently sitting in my 'pending' pile -- should I delete it or should I add it to my iTunes collection? I'll probably give it a couple more gos before I decide. Btw, I don't mind the 'self-contained tracks' bit, it's more the musical qualities of certain tracks themselves that keep me on the fence.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Really really enjoying Williams' The Terminal today - it's just delightful and has been awhile since I've heard it. A unique and limited landscape for Williams to work with since it's all takes place in the same place - an airport, but he manage to fill that un-epic space with such beauty, depth and joy.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019
    James Horner - Ransom

'Delivering the Ransom' is such a great cue!
  12. NP: A Classical Tale (2015) - Mike Batt

A collection of symphonic cues. Of interest for film music conniseurs might be three cues from the animated series "Watership Down", since that score was released in Germany only in rather small numbers.
    Also of interest might be five cues from the animated series "The Dreamstone". Both score CDs are rare and hard to come by.

Volker
  13. Lorne Balfe - Ghost in the Shell

Pity Mansell couldn't/didn't feel like releasing his cues. I have to say, though, that Balfe's part worked very well in the film and it has a very nice atmosphere. The theme is also decent. Of all the stuff I've heard of him, this is one of his very best IMO.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2019
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Lorne Balfe - Ghost in the Shell

Pity Mansell couldn't/didn't feel like releasing his cues. I have to say, though, that Balfe's part worked very well in the film and it has a very nice atmosphere. The theme is also decent. Of all the stuff I've heard of him, this is one of his very best IMO.

Still awaiting Ad Astra angry
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Lorne Balfe - Ghost in the Shell

I wasn't aware that any of this score had been released.

I just finished my first listen of JUDY by Gabriel Yared. It has a pretty theme, and a couple tracks at the end are nice, but a lot of it was so low key that it passed by me without making an impression. I'm kind of surprised to see that it's been getting so much praise from some people.
  15. Balfe released his whole part on YouTube. And in fact he made WAV files available somehow and that's how I got it. But how exactly he's done that, I can't remember. (It's not a bootleg though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2019
    Balfe's music is OK, but it's Mansell's superior material I'm waiting for!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Got mail from England!

NP: Dracula (1958) - James Bernard

The new Tadlow recording performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Nic Raine. It sounds specdracular. wink

Volker
  17. NP: Romeo & Juliet (1968) - Nino Rota

I'm a big big fan of Zeffirelli's take on the eternal story of forbidden love. The Prague re-recording of Rota's score is one of the oldest CDs in my collection and it was much played.
    I now took the opportunity to also add the original album, newly released by Quartet. (I read, the original tapes are lost.) I cannot compare the sound quality to any edition that went before, but it does sound great.

Volker
  18. Just finished a first listen of BARCELONA 1714 by Gerard Pastor. This is another winner from MSM, and one of the best I've heard from 2019. If you like old school film scoring, this one is for you.