• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: STAR TREK (2010) - Michael Giacchino

The recently released deluxe edition. I love this score. The original album is rather short, so I am glad to add this CD to my collection. Besides I have the expansion CDs of all Trek movie scores, so I had to have this. smile

volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2019
    Hans Zimmer - The Lion King

Such an improvement. However, the songs... That is something different.
  2. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - Geoff Zanelli

For not being written by JNH, I think this is about as good as we could have gotten for this score. Zanelli definitely exceeded my expectations.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2019
    Joep wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Lion King

Such an improvement. However, the songs... That is something different.

Exactly my thoughts
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2019
    NP: A HIDDEN LIFE - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

First listen. Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2019
    LSH wrote

First listen. Wow.

I first sampled it a couple of days ago. Instant love -- his best since THE VILLAGE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

First listen. Wow.

I first sampled it a couple of days ago. Instant love -- his best since THE VILLAGE.

Where are you guys listening to this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The FYC page at FOX Searchlight:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/fyc/film/ … oundtrack/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2019 edited
    NP: Gemini Man - Lorne Balfe

Well I have to look for another score to review. Not going to write another review of an emotionless score by him. He had some much potential with Beyond: Two Souls and Assassins Creed 3.

(Listening to A Hidden Life now... Holy sh...)
  3. Thor wrote

Man, that score is a revelation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2019
    It is indeed. Quickly rocketed to my favourite score of the year (so far).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It's in my top 10 after just one listen. I look forward to revisiting it.

In other news I gave DUELLES by Frederic Vercheval a first listen and did not enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2019
    Thor wrote

Thanks so much!
  5. Just giving Steven Price's new score, THE AERONAUTS, a listen. It's okay. The first track led me to believe that it was going to be a little more fun than it has ended up being. Most of it has passed by me without making too much of an impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2019 edited
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I get the feeling that this is slightly under-rated which is a massive shame because this is one of my favourites of his... and one of the last great scores of his 90s to early 00s heyday.

I admit, the official album is a terrible mix. It’s weirdly quiet (compression issues) and sequenced terribly. The complete bootleg features the action/adventure cues from the second half of the film that should have been included in the official release. Think this would definitely benefit from an expanded release (with much better sound).

Otherwise, it’s one of my favourites from Howard. Great theme, brilliant action music, and lovely quiet moments. Some of the material is quite indicative that he scored Dinosaur the same year. But that’s no problem.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2019
    Caliburn wrote

Well I have to look for another score to review. Not going to write another review of an emotionless score by him. He had some much potential with Beyond: Two Souls and Assassins Creed 3.

I think you will change your mind, after you listened to his score for His Dark Materials. smile
  6. Nicholas Britell - The King

This guy is really special. What he can do with, essentially, strings, a small choir and about 6-7 chords is mesmerizing. Especially the Hymn bits. I had the privilege of reviewing If Beale Street Could Talk for my site, but have been more seriously following him since I saw Moonlight, which also made me a fan of the director.

And he's the first composer since Goldenthal to regularly use musical terms as track titles.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. LSH wrote
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I get the feeling that this is slightly under-rated which is a massive shame because this is one of my favourites of his... and one of the last great scores of his 90s to early 00s heyday.

I admit, the official album is a terrible mix. It’s weirdly quiet (compression issues) and sequenced terribly. The complete bootleg features the action/adventure cues from the second half of the film that should have been included in the official release. Think this would definitely benefit from an expanded release (with much better sound).

Otherwise, it’s one of my favourites from Howard. Great theme, brilliant action music, and lovely quiet moments. Some of the material is quite indicative that he scored Dinosaur the same year. But that’s no problem.

I've been meaning to seek that one out for so long. I've actually heard a lot of people talking positively about it. I just haven't made time for it yet.
  8. Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote

I think you will change your mind, after you listened to his score for His Dark Materials. smile

I've only heard one track from HDM, and it sounded cheap and synthy to me. Is it just me? I saw Jon Broxton say on Facebook that after one listen he thinks it might be the best thing Balfe has ever done.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Nicholas Britell - The King

This guy is really special. What he can do with, essentially, strings, a small choir and about 6-7 chords is mesmerizing. Especially the Hymn bits. I had the privilege of reviewing If Beale Street Could Talk for my site, but have been more seriously following him since I saw Moonlight, which also made me a fan of the director.

And he's the first composer since Goldenthal to regularly use musical terms as track titles.

There's something about Britell's music that doesn't resonate with me. I gave this one a listen. It was okay, but I found it difficult to connect to. It passed by me without leaving much of an impact.
  10. christopher wrote
    Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote

I've only heard one track from HDM, and it sounded cheap and synthy to me. Is it just me? I saw Jon Broxton say on Facebook that after one listen he thinks it might be the best thing Balfe has ever done.

One of his best works, I would say, yes. There's a nice combination of a more modern sound (the ostinati are there in some places, yes), with a more traditional approach, which works surprisingly well together.

That said, I like his "additional" scores, Ghost in the Shell and Ad Astra much more than many.

christopher wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

There's something about Britell's music that doesn't resonate with me. I gave this one a listen. It was okay, but I found it difficult to connect to. It passed by me without leaving much of an impact.

It's very inwardly emotional. If Beale Street Could Talk was my favorite score last year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2019
    christopher wrote
    Just giving Steven Price's new score, THE AERONAUTS, a listen. It's okay. The first track led me to believe that it was going to be a little more fun than it has ended up being. Most of it has passed by me without making too much of an impression.

I had the exact same experience sad
    • CommentAuthorJules
    PawelStroinski wrote

PawelStroinski wrote

Will have to give this another listen, I watched the film and found the music pretty underwhelming. But then I absolutely adore Britell and I think Beale Street is one of my favourite scores ever so it deserves a full listen through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't warmed to Britell so far, I'm afraid. But I'll give it a go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019 edited
    NP: Carnival Row - Nathan Barr

It's been released, FINALLY. I loved the series and whatever I noticed about the score while watching. Finally being enabled to listen to Barr's music as an album will hopefully be as rewarding.

EDIT: I forgot how lovely depressing this thing was. biggrin

My personal favourites:

1. Main Title (1:15)
    8. Goodnight Vignette (2:03)
    10. Hope and Weakness (2:24)
    14. Sacred Library (1:00)
    15. Pact Air Raid (3:27)
    17. Imogen and Agreus (3:38)

There are, of course, two songs featured in the series, which I also like.
    The first one is pretty special, but I suggest listening only to the second one if you haven't watched the series.

23. Lora Lie Low – Patty Gurdy (1:56)
    24. Grieve No More – Patty Gurdy (1:22)
  11. christopher wrote
    Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote

It's quite a good score, but it also sounds cheap and synthy. slant
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote
    Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote

I was able to give HDM a full listen today, and while there are still horns and strings that sounded too synthy, It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think the first track is the one I had previously heard, and it starts with some of the most synthetic strings I've heard in a long time, but as the track moves on, and as the album moves on, it sounded less like that and more like your standard RC-quality stuff (which still doesn't sound like a studio orchestra, but I digress).

I was surprised by how good the music was, though. Balfe was clearly given free reign to write some huge music, and he clearly put a lot of himself into it. I think it's an impressive score. And kudos go to whatever genius produced this album. It's a tight 19 tracks and I don't think there is much filler there. There must be a lot less interesting music for the series that accompanies the less climactic scenes, and it seems like a lot of album releases these days give you all of that in addition to the best stuff and you end up with four hours of music to sift through to find the gems. This album is great. And it's easily (for me) the best music I've heard from Lorne Balfe. He really impressed me with this one.
  13. christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote
    Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote

I was able to give HDM a full listen today, and while there are still horns and strings that sounded too synthy, It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think the first track is the one I had previously heard, and it starts with some of the most synthetic strings I've heard in a long time, but as the track moves on, and as the album moves on, it sounded less like that and more like your standard RC-quality stuff (which still doesn't sound like a studio orchestra, but I digress).

I was surprised by how good the music was, though. Balfe was clearly given free reign to write some huge music, and he clearly put a lot of himself into it. I think it's an impressive score. And kudos go to whatever genius produced this album. It's a tight 19 tracks and I don't think there is much filler there. There must be a lot less interesting music for the series that accompanies the less climactic scenes, and it seems like a lot of album releases these days give you all of that in addition to the best stuff and you end up with four hours of music to sift through to find the gems. This album is great. And it's easily (for me) the best music I've heard from Lorne Balfe. He really impressed me with this one.

Well the thing is, if strings are intended to sound like real orchestra strings, samples or physical modelling or something the like, then it's annoying, if the sound doesn't come close.
    On the other side, if the sound is supposed to sound synthy, Mellophone, or some string machine, like the Solina or Roland VP-330, then it's part of the aesthetics, which I think is the case here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019 edited
    Formula 1 Theme Brian Tyler

This is the most Brian Tyler sounding piece of Brian Tyler Brian Tyler has ever Brian Tyler'd.
  14. I found the live performance on YouTube. Taylor has a weird style of conducting, which doesn't matter, since no musician seems to pay him any attention. Probably they are all let by an in-ear metronome.

Volker