• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019
    He conducts like I pretend to conduct music when I'm drunk.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019
    Captain Future wrote
    christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote
    Lars wrote
    Caliburn wrote
    NP: Gemini Man - Lorne Balfe

Well I have to look for another score to review. Not going to write another review of an emotionless score by him. He had some much potential with Beyond: Two Souls and Assassins Creed 3.

I think you will change your mind, after you listened to his score for His Dark Materials. smile

I've only heard one track from HDM, and it sounded cheap and synthy to me. Is it just me? I saw Jon Broxton say on Facebook that after one listen he thinks it might be the best thing Balfe has ever done.

It's quite a good score, but it also sounds cheap and synthy. slant

I was able to give HDM a full listen today, and while there are still horns and strings that sounded too synthy, It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think the first track is the one I had previously heard, and it starts with some of the most synthetic strings I've heard in a long time, but as the track moves on, and as the album moves on, it sounded less like that and more like your standard RC-quality stuff (which still doesn't sound like a studio orchestra, but I digress).

I was surprised by how good the music was, though. Balfe was clearly given free reign to write some huge music, and he clearly put a lot of himself into it. I think it's an impressive score. And kudos go to whatever genius produced this album. It's a tight 19 tracks and I don't think there is much filler there. There must be a lot less interesting music for the series that accompanies the less climactic scenes, and it seems like a lot of album releases these days give you all of that in addition to the best stuff and you end up with four hours of music to sift through to find the gems. This album is great. And it's easily (for me) the best music I've heard from Lorne Balfe. He really impressed me with this one.

Well the thing is, if strings are intended to sound like real orchestra strings, samples or physical modelling or something the like, then it's annoying, if the sound doesn't come close.
    On the other side, if the sound is supposed to sound synthy, Mellophone, or some string machine, like the Solina or Roland VP-330, then it's part of the aesthetics, which I think is the case here.

I think Balfe certainly likes that artificial sound. Watched the first episode of the series last night and wasn't that impressed. It's certainly promising but looked a lot better in the trailers. Enjoyed the music, but it's played in every scene for maximum epic effect for some reason, the pacing might have been a heap better had they toned it down for some sequences.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019 edited
    Charlie's Angels - Bryan Tyler

Pretty fun, never listened to any other music composed for CA, so not sure if the themes are the same. But I've really warmed to Tyler after not liking him a few years back, his scores are a good time (particularly Crazy Rich Asians). This is some cheesy heist music with Tyler's signature all over it and lots of trap influence which some might not like. Think half as good as Daniel Pemberton's Ocean's 8, very repetitive but still enjoyable somehow. WAY TOO FUCKING LONG

Edit:

and yes, I'm not a conductor, but Tyler's style is weird as heck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nicholas Britell - The King

This guy is really special. What he can do with, essentially, strings, a small choir and about 6-7 chords is mesmerizing. Especially the Hymn bits. I had the privilege of reviewing If Beale Street Could Talk for my site, but have been more seriously following him since I saw Moonlight, which also made me a fan of the director.

And he's the first composer since Goldenthal to regularly use musical terms as track titles.

Wow, great score this. Song of Hal is an immensly beautiful, heartfelt piece. What an emotional score, with like you say, such a small setting.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2019
    Rambo III Jerry Goldsmith

My favourite Rambo score is whichever Rambo score I happen to be listening to. (Well, minus the Tyler rubbish.)

Also, I love how what is essentially the Taliban are the good guys in this film. It's aged extremely well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2019
    Dark Encounter - David Stone Hamilton

This is impressive! A nice surprise.
    A dash of Signs. A sprinking of Knowing. No Close Encounters sadly.
    A lot of very interesting orchestral delights found within this gem. Maybe not for everyone though.
    Along with the recent Solis David Stone Hamilton is proving to be a composer to watch out for.
  1. Atham wrote
    Dark Encounter - David Stone Hamilton

This is impressive! A nice surprise.
    A dash of Signs. A sprinking of Knowing. No Close Encounters sadly.
    A lot of very interesting orchestral delights found within this gem. Maybe not for everyone though.
    Along with the recent Solis David Stone Hamilton is proving to be a composer to watch out for.

I definitely heard the similarities with Signs. That's no bad thing in my book. A lot of this score was less enjoyable to me, but there were some wonderful highlights.
  2. TRAUMFABRIK - Philipp Noll

This is one of my favorite scores of the year. It has fantastic themes, even if it might be a little guilty of over-playing them.
  3. christopher wrote
    TRAUMFABRIK - Philipp Noll

This is one of my favorite scores of the year. It has fantastic themes, even if it might be a little guilty of over-playing them.

Those final 2 tracks are amazing, goes to show big bold emotional music is never a bad thing for a film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2019
    christopher wrote
    TRAUMFABRIK - Philipp Noll

It's a good score, overall, but has some tracks that simply "tread water" and don't do much. It could do with some serious whittling.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Gave Cyrille Aufort's newest score, LA MALADROITE, a listen this morning. It has an elegant piano theme to start things off and then pretty much repeats that theme without much variation in most of the tracks that follow. The first and last cues were my favorites. It's a fine theme, but it gets old, and there's little else to recommend it.
  5. christopher wrote
    Gave Cyrille Aufort's newest score, LA MALADROITE, a listen this morning. It has an elegant piano theme to start things off and then pretty much repeats that theme without much variation in most of the tracks that follow. The first and last cues were my favorites. It's a fine theme, but it gets old, and there's little else to recommend it.

This one was on my list of new releases to listen to. Thanks for the little review.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2019
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - JAMES HORNER

Why hasn't this been expanded yet? Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019 edited
    LSH wrote

The album is 80 minutes long, and more than long enough as it is. A bit too long, in fact. But yes -- great score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019 edited
    NP: WORLD TRADE CENTER (Craig Armstrong)

Probably my favourite score of 2006, and a fairly recent discovery on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard

One of those scores where the description is very much in the title. Great Christmassy music too, reminiscent of 90s scores. (The second score is perhaps less magical, but equally impressive. ‘Leta’s Flashback’ is classic JNH.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019
    LSH wrote

Like I said above, another one of those scores where the description is in its title. This really is the perfect Horner "phase 2" score. (His 80s sound being phase 1, and Avatar onwards being phase 3.)
  6. Steven wrote
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard

One of those scores where the description is very much in the title. Great Christmassy music too, reminiscent of 90s scores. (The second score is perhaps less magical, but equally impressive. ‘Leta’s Flashback’ is classic JNH.)

I really enjoy that score. The thematic breadth and depth is so impressive. I was disappointed by the sequel, which didn't resonate with me on the same level. The darker story and ending didn't give Howard the chance to write such awe-inspiring music as he did for the first one. Also, I missed some of the themes that didn't come back.

NP: MASQUERADE HOTEL - Naoki Sato

I like this score. Particularly the middle of it (tracks 6-9). It's currently in my top ten for 2019, though may not be after 1917, LITTLE WOMEN, and STAR WARS IX come out. Also not Sato's best from this year, imo. His CRESCENT MOON is currently my favorite score of the year.
  7. NP: Stargate (1994) - David Arnold

I sure love this score. The deluxe edition already features 72 minutes of music. It sounds great and I can't see, that any essential music would be missing. So I guess I'll pass on the recently announced expansion by La-La-Land records.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. 1917 - Thomas Newman

I'm currently listening to the FYC page that just went up yesterday. I just started so I can't give any opinions yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2019 edited
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

The album is 80 minutes long, and more than long enough as it is. A bit too long, in fact. But yes -- great score.

There’s positively oodles of action music from the film’s final act that is sadly missing from the official release; stuff that rivals his best from the period. Lots of echoes of Titanic but way more bombastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2019
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Like I said above, another one of those scores where the description is in its title. This really is the perfect Horner "phase 2" score. (His 80s sound being phase 1, and Avatar onwards being phase 3.)

I like this.
  9. LSH wrote
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

There’s positively oodles of action music from the film’s final act that is sadly missing from the official release; stuff that rivals his best from the period. Lots of echoes of Titanic but way more bombastic.

You...you DO realize who you're replying to, yes? Replying to "it's too long" with "but the action music" is EXACTLY what he hoped you'd do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2019
    I believe it's also in chronological order.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2019
    Ha, ha....The Three Evils, then. :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN (Daniel Pemberton)

Fascinating score, one of the year's highlights. There are some definite shades of Goldenthal here (when he does jazz stylings), creative orchestration and very, very moody.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Rise of Skywalker John Williams

It took three torturous shifts, but I finished this 50 minute academy promo album.

It’s dull, empty, hollow and soulless. Thanks Disney.
  10. Steven wrote
    The Rise of Skywalker John Williams

It took three torturous shifts, but I finished this 50 minute academy promo album.

It’s dull, empty, hollow and soulless. Thanks Disney.

It isn't a very good presentation of the score but I am sure the finished album will be more polished and listener friendly.

If this is the quality of what members are presented with it is no wonder there are some weird choices of award winners!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    After one listen, the FYC album is indeed rather dull (I expected as much), but it's better than THE LAST JEDI, at least. I've decided to wait untill the proper album is here, so my evaluation isn't too tainted by the promo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 1917 (Thomas Newman)

This isn't good as a listening experience at all. Newman doing standard thriller riffs, occasionally trying to do a DUNKIRK (but without that score's ingenuity). I'm sure it's fine in the movie, but I have no idea what the positive "buzz" is about.
    I am extremely serious.