• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2019
    LSH wrote
    NP: JUMANJI - JAMES HORNER

<snip> A film like this should have had a show-stopping big adventurous theme. Even Jackman’s sequel scores are more engaging, and I’m not his biggest of fans.

Umm.. the score does have a big, adventurous theme. Re-listen to "Stampede" And that theme plays numerous times elsewhere.

I think Jumanji is a superb score! And I like Jackman's efforts as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2020
    NP: A HIDDEN LIFE - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

This is really quite good. Loving the Village/Defiance vibes.

Some critics are calling the film a masterpiece, others are less complimentary. Clips I’ve seen look like B-roll from some existential perfume commercial. Malick be Malick. Still, I’d like to check it out, it’s just not showing anywhere near me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2020 edited
    The film is superb, and will probably feature on my top 10 of 2020 when the year is over (it's a 2020 film in Norway). The score? Well, as I've said many times -- it's my favourite of 2019. A masterpiece and JNH's best since THE VILLAGE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2020
    Tolkien - Thomas Newman

Doesn't have the stunning highlights of 1917 but a very worthy listen too. It's mostly light and airy and brimming with Newman's instantly recognisable orchestral and electronic colours. The second last cue 'Fellowship' is a real standout as well as the sombre, ecclesiastical tone of 'Other Sorts of Scars'.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Succession - Nicholas Britell

One of the best current shows on TV also features one of the best main themes of recent times. Hearing Britell put his stunner through a series of inventive variations alongside a scattering of other equally good cues (esp. 'A Piacere - Orchestra') makes for a perfect 37 minute album. Beal Street, Vice, Battle of the Sexes and The King have been amongst the top echelon of scores in recent times. Have yet to hear a dud note from Britell.
  1. CLIFFS OF FREEDOM - George Kallis

A really solid score from a young composer that continues to impress me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Tolkien - Thomas Newman

Doesn't have the stunning highlights of 1917 but a very worthy listen too. It's mostly light and airy and brimming with Newman's instantly recognisable orchestral and electronic colours. The second last cue 'Fellowship' is a real standout as well as the sombre, ecclesiastical tone of 'Other Sorts of Scars'.

To me, this is heads and shoulders above 1917.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2020
    I wouldn't say head and shoulders but it's definitely a far more satisfying listening experience overall.

The Accordionist's Son - Fernando Velazquez

This is really excellent. Definitely one of his warmest melodic scores and a refreshing break from all the genre films he scores (and scores superbly I might add).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2020 edited
    NP: MY CUSTOM DAVID ARNOLD BOND MEGAMIX

Just a playlist of all the best bits from Arnold’s Bond scores. cool Happily disturbing my neighbours’ Sunday lunch.

I do feel he’s left a great mark on the franchise and, while others are pining for him, I feel he’s done his bit now and I would much rather see him score other projects (anything at this point!). I think that just in the same way that several directors get their chance on the films, composers should too. I’m not as annoyed as most that Zimmer is scoring the upcoming entry; I think it’s great for anyone to have the chance to give a Bond film a go. I certainly wouldn’t imagine any composer turning it down. Obviously he wouldn’t have been my first choice but hey ho.
  2. Jason and the Argonauts Herrmann

One of my favourite recordings. Great music, terrific sound and a brilliant performance under Bruce Broughton.
  3. Varese did some outstanding Herrmann recordings back in the day! Beyond "Argonauts" I have "Psycho", "North by Northwest", "Citizen Cane", "7th Voyage of Sindbad", "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "The Egyptian".

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2020
    LSH wrote
    NP: A HIDDEN LIFE - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

This is really quite good. Loving the Village/Defiance vibes.

Some critics are calling the film a masterpiece, others are less complimentary. Clips I’ve seen look like B-roll from some existential perfume commercial. Malick be Malick. Still, I’d like to check it out, it’s just not showing anywhere near me.

Thor wrote
    The film is superb, and will probably feature on my top 10 of 2020 when the year is over (it's a 2020 film in Norway). The score? Well, as I've said many times -- it's my favourite of 2019. A masterpiece and JNH's best since THE VILLAGE.

The theme is great, perhaps my favourite of 2019, but the rest is either somewhat dull, a piece of classical music or a repeat of the theme. It's a shame the rest doesn't live up to that incredible opening track.

---------

Also, I tried listening to Rise of Skywalker after some time since my initial disappointment. For something that's mostly action, it's surprisingly dull and uninteresting. The only memorable or affecting parts are when the old themes kick in (although, at this point, the Force theme is way over used in the sequels).

Two out of three of the prequel scores may not have had that special something that sets the originals apart from most other things, but they at least had a much more satisfying narrative and use of new themes. The Phantom Menace was probably the last great John Williams Star Wars score; Across the Stars the last great theme; and Revenge of the Sith a satisfying, if dark, finale.

The sequel scores are all surface level. It sounds like Star Wars, it's all very John Williamsy: There are new themes, which at times can be relatively exciting, there are the standard Star Wars tropes... but I never feel the power and heart that the originals ellicit. The feeling that you're listening to something special. These are not special. They're hollow, often cold and generally messy - much like the films.

I don't think many people will remember these scores in the decades to come. Bleh.
  4. Steven wrote
    Also, I tried listening to Rise of Skywalker after some time since my initial disappointment. For something that's mostly action, it's surprisingly dull and uninteresting. The only memorable or affecting parts are when the old themes kick in (although, at this point, the Force theme is way over used in the sequels).

Not even the cue "The Rise of Skywalker" does anything for you? I think it's one of the best Williams themes I've heard in a while. I really enjoy The Force Awakens still, and I really enjoyed this new score as well (despite really disliking the film). The only sequel score that doesn't connect with me as much is The Last Jedi, but I still enjoyed that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2020
    It's a surprisingly warm track, I have to admit. Perfectly pleasant. But it doesn't really move me.

I suppose I do understand how the energy of these scores are appealing, and I was once won over by it. But after the initial excitement of it all has severely died, these aren't scores I find myself wanting to return to.
  5. It may have to do with the fact, that as good as the music is, you basically heard it eight times before already. Even the richest musical texture will wear thin eventually. Also, if the music reminds you of a film you don't like, then that isn't helping either.

Volker
  6. NP: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD

One of last year's best scores. Listening to it again today I'm enjoying it more than ever. This score just keeps getting better.
  7. christopher wrote
    One of last year's best scores.

I think so too. And Hidden World is my favorite of the three.

NP: The Affair of the Necklace by David Newman

Revisiting this one and had forgotten how luscious and stunning it is! David Newman goes largely under my (and most other people's) radar but he has written some amazing stuff!
  8. NP: Silent Running (1971) - Peter Schickele, feat. Joan Baez

One of the most lyrical and heart breaking science fiction films ever. A wonderful score that Intrada mastered from the vinyl album due to the lack of tapes.

Volker
  9. THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD - Christopher Willis

This is fantastic. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out asap. It's an early contender for score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2020
    Agreed. Very impressive score! Willis has done it again.
  10. John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

To honor the man's birthday with one of my personal favorites by him. (Schindler's List I'm keeping for special occasions).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. NP: Joker (2019) - Hildur Gudnadottir

Wow! This certainly is no easy listening. I haven't seen the film so far. I will do that when it arrives on BluRay. It'll be interesting to experience the score in context.

smile Volker
  12. NP: Sommersby by Danny Elfman

It surprised me how much the Main Titles in Sommersby remind me of George Fenton's Planet Earth Prelude! Many similarities!
  13. I'd never noticed that, but you're right. There are some very Planet-Earth-esque moments during that first track. And it's all orchestrated like that Planet Earth Prelude, too.

Sommersby is my favorite Elfman score. It's just lovely.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2020
    Mihály Víg - Filmzenék

Great music, but not the most satisfying release. Werckmeister Harmóniák is still brilliant.

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/werck … harmoniak/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2020
    Funny with Vig. I love Bela Tarr's movies (challenging as they are), but I've never really thought of them as having much musical content. Seems like an interesting release that I'm very curious about. Thanks for the tip, Joep!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2020
    On this release, Werkmeister is really a class apart, so different from the other music. I don´t think anyone who is not familiar Tarr´s cinema will even like the other music.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2020
    Manfred Hübler & Siegfried Schwab - Vampyros Lesbos

Groovy!
  14. Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams - The Rock

Got back to this one recently as it appeared on streaming services. That's the score that got me into film music originally, so while it hasn't always aged well (the cues you can attribute to Hans - the opening, the last half of Rock House Jail and the opening to Mason's Walk - First Launch - are the ones that aged best, really).

While the first soundtrack album we had was The Lion King and I caught myself listening to the orchestral bits more than the song, the one that made me love film scores and cinema in general, was this. It's a funny little story in and of itself, but the music and the passion for film got me through some difficult times.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. The Rock is a great one. I just wish it was longer! My progression into Hans Zimmer territory was very similar to yours! Started with The Lion King, (loving the This Land track above everything else) then discovered The Rock and Backdraft. I remember trying to introduce all my friends to how cool and edgy film music could be through The Rock in junior high. Didn't work though. I still feel like a loner when it comes to loving film scores as much as I do.