• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2020 edited
    I keep meaning to watch it but it was James' review that prompted my to give the score a listen on Spotify. Had a feeling it would be up my alley; chilled melancholic electronica in a nostalgic vein that I haven't heard in years. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2020
    NP: HE NAMED ME MALALA - THOMAS NEWMAN

This didn't capture me on first listening but I've just done a binge through all of Newman's fairly recent South Asian flavoured scores (the two Best Exotic Marigold Hotel scores and Victoria & Abdul being the others) and thought I'd give it another go.

Well I certainly wasn't paying attention first time around... this is superb. More subdued than the others but it's still packed with moments of prototypical melancholic Newman stylings. Overall, very lovely and a good companion to the others I mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes. Of those three you mention, that is my favourite (and, in fact, one of the 10 best scores that year).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's also nice to have a Thomas Newman cue named for my home city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You live in Malala? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    She's not that lucky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    James Horner

Very drunk, and very in a James Horner mood. Currently Mask of Zorro. punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    James Horner

Very drunk, and very in a James Horner mood. Currently Mask of Zorro. punk punk

I'm also drunk and that sounds like a good idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Might I suggest, in that case, All Systems Go - The Launch? The ultimate liftoff music. No one will better it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2020 edited
    And Re-entry and Splashdown for the inevitable hangover?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    More like An Insurmountable Hurdle from The Missing, but yes, something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm spreading my drunkeness out a bit. Had a crazy stupor on Friday, will have a moderate one tomorrow, and then a crazy one again on Saturday.

BUT, as fate would have it, I'm also listening to Horner at the moment. PATRIOT GAMES, to be precise. I used to dislike this score quite a bit, and even sold off my CD some 15 years ago. But listening to this again, I really like what I'm hearing. Stupid young version of myself.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. That was me with RANSOM. I sold off my copy when I was young because at the time it just sounded like mostly noise to me and with my hard-earned allowance, haha, I remember being very disappointed how little of the score was on the actual album, so I got a refund. Certainly it's not one of his best scores ever, but now I wish I'd held on to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2020
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Michael Giacchino

Not a great Jurassic Park score, but a bloody brilliant Godzilla or King Kong score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020
    "Jurassic Pillow Talk" is a brilliant action cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2020
    NP: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Do I really need to say anything in this bit?
  2. LSH wrote
    NP: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Do I really need to say anything in this bit?

Do you have a favorite track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdsioux
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2020
    I just got done listening to both volumes of the Hammer Horror films. Lot's of good James Bernard. His Horror of Dracula is really good, better than the movie.
    Tom
    contempt prior to investigation will keep you in everlasting ignorance
  3. James Horner - In Country

In memoriam James Horner. I chose a score that was close to my heart since I've heard a not-so-legal version of it in awful quality. It was an instant buy when Intrada decided to put it out and I'm all the better for it.

Delicate, subtle score for a smaller orchestral setting has always struck a chord with me. The secondary theme, in particular, in its solo piano version. I always loved his smaller piano cues, because there was something delicately honest to them. Very heartfelt and respectful, hence my pick for today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdsioux
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2020
    Doing an article on the rejected Agatha score. Quite a difference between the two scores.
    contempt prior to investigation will keep you in everlasting ignorance
  4. New for me this week has been James Newton Howard’s Hidalgo. I really love Middle Eastern interments, so I’m not surprised I love it, but I’m surprise how MUCH I love it! The "Main Title" flute intro is just so stunning. I absolutely love the Arabian desert-esque percussion (reminds me of another favorite of mine “The Egg Travels” from Dinosaur) on "Arriving In The Desert", and wow the lush oboe solo recapped from the Main Title that makes a reappearance in “Let ‘er Buck” really makes a special musical moment followed by the strings and french horns, trumpet, and swoon, I’m just falling in love with JNH all over again!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020
    Tom Holkenborg - Johan Primero

One of his fines and a true flamenco delight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020
    Joep wrote
    Tom Holkenborg - Johan Primero

One of his fines and a true flamenco delight.

Not familiar with that; have you heard his WHITE LINES? Gorgeous stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. James Newton Howard - Hidalgo

Inspired by Cailin's post and discussion at the Zoom meeting, I took a listen to this fun, indeed score. Being the weirdo I am I probably love the opening oboe motif more than most of people around, but yeah, it's a score I've overlooked for years!
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you're enjoying it again! That oboe motif sure is splendid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020 edited
    As I said in the Zoom meeting, I acquired a digital version of HIDALGO a couple of years ago, after I had heard lots of good buzz about it. Having never seen the film, I expected it to be something lyrical, a la Elfman's BLACK BEAUTY, and was totally taken aback by how action-oriented it was. But by all means, it's JNH in good action mode, no doubt about it.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It's not as much as I'm enjoying it again, as I kinda liked it and it has completely come off my radar since its release! Thank God for Spotify for such scores!
  8. Thor wrote
    Having never seen the film, I expected it to be something lyrical, a la Elfman's BLACK BEAUTY, and was totally taken aback by how action-oriented it was.

I had a similar experience with DUNKIRK - I was totally expecting something John Williams-like a la SAVING PRIVATE RYAN upon first listen - and well, as you know, they couldn't be more different, haha!