• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Has recorded a score for the upcoming film "The Disappeared".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    Looking forward to hear that, HANNIBAL RISING was one very cool surprise for me last year; score-wise of course. On the other hand though, STARDUST did absolutely NOTHING for me. We'll see.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008 edited
    *to Demetris*

Booo. moon

Well, there's always his first superhero film, Thor, to look forward to.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ilan still really needs to convince me. Hannibal Rising was okay and at some points pretty good, but it also made me giggle in the film at points, and that's a really bad sign. Stardust didn't do anything for me at all, though I haven't seen the film. I am willing to give this composer several more chances, though, because I do like his 'sound'. It seems he certainly can do it, he just needs to prove himself yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure you giggled 'cause of the film, not the score [Hannibal Rising] wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    No, it was the way too obvious Asian references just when Gong Li entered and the wailing woman during the dramatic outburst and all that made me giggle wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    On the other hand though, STARDUST did absolutely NOTHING for me. We'll see.

Did you ever see the movie? There were some very good bits in the score that didn't make it onto the album.

... just don't ask Steven for his opinion on the film if you haven't. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i haven't seen it but it's definitely not my kind of film.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    WHAT?!?

*sends DVD to Demetris's home*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Of the lately released fantasy films is the best IMO. A classical, unpretentious, nicely performed and entertaining film. And watching Robert de Niro dancing the Can Can dressed as a woman is priceless. biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    The film is great. The most fun I had at the theater last year, but the score is nothing special. A loud, generic, fantasy score with only a few memorable moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Though Stardust score is sometimes (or most of the time? ) generic, it does have some moments, where the overall arrangements and orchestration make me feel that ---

The GREAT Michael Kamen lives in the form of Ilan Eshkeri !
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    I liked the film - like Marselus said it's very unpretentious and more of a throwback to classic fairy tales than the Tolkien-type fantasy, we've been seing a lot of these past years which takes itself very seriously (the Narnia-film being the worst of the bunch - and boring as a dog's ass to boot). Not that I mind that type of fantasy (I'm a huge Tolkien fan), but it's becoming a bit stale. (Oh, and BTW I love the Narnia-books, just to make sure nobody gets me wrong here).

As for the score (still talking Stardust), I liked it in the context of the film. I noticed a few nice themes, and generally felt that it worked. I haven't listened to the album yet, so I don't know if my impression holds up. I know absolutely nothing about Ishkeri otherwise - haven't seen Hannibal Rising (and not planning to) or heard its score. Mistake?
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mistake - the score is a perfectly good, albeit unoriginal, and engaging thriller score. It was one big surprise for me last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Mogens wrote
    I liked the film - like Marselus said it's very unpretentious and more of a throwback to classic fairy tales than the Tolkien-type fantasy, we've been seing a lot of these past years which takes itself very seriously (the Narnia-film being the worst of the bunch - and boring as a dog's ass to boot).

Exactly! Too much of "we are making the greatest fantasy ever" lately (but this is Hollywood I´m fraid: a film works, and we get a hundred clones until the audience is tired). Stardust was fresh air at least. As you say, a throwback to classic fairy tales.

Mogens wrote
    As for the score (still talking Stardust), I liked it in the context of the film. I noticed a few nice themes, and generally felt that it worked. I haven't listened to the album yet, so I don't know if my impression holds up.

I liked it too in its context, a bit over the top if you want, but extremely effective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mistake - the score is a perfectly good, albeit unoriginal, and engaging thriller score. It was one big surprise for me last year.

And exactly the same goes for the movie IMO.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Think of me what you like, but I thought STARDUST was the 2nd best score of last year (after Atonement). It's a hugely enjoyable fantasy score. Not the greatest or most original one, I admit, but for what it is, it is perfectly well done.
  2. I agree, Stardust is loads of fun. The simply big sound, thrilling adventure music and the track 'Coronation' alone makes it for me one of the best listens of 2007. Nuff said wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Yep, Stardust was definitely one of the best scores to come out in 2007. Works extremely well in the film, and an entertaining and exciting listening experience on its own. Well done!

mc
  3. Recorded his score for "Telstar".
    (http://www.lmo.co.uk/?page=news&id=108)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008 edited
    moviescore wrote
    Yep, Stardust was definitely one of the best scores to come out in 2007. Works extremely well in the film, and an entertaining and exciting listening experience on its own. Well done!

mc

I watched Stardust on DVD this afternoon for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it - in fact, the whole family did! A lot of Eshkeri's score on CD stands out as some of the most enjoyable music from 2007 and it's great to hear the music in situ.

Some of the stunning Isle of Skye scenery showed up very well on screen and we are all now looking forward to our summer holiday on Skye this coming August!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

I watched Stardust on DVD this afternoon for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it - in fact, the whole family did! A lot of Eshkeri's score on CD stands out as some of the most enjoyable music from 2007 and it's great to hear the music in situ.

Some of the stunning Isle of Skye scenery showed up very well on screen and we are all now looking forward to our summer holiday on Skye this coming August!

Its indeed a terrific film and the score works wonders in the film too. About the scenery, this was shot in Iceland and Scotland if I wasn't mistaken right? It looks splendid, my father immediately asked me where they shot this since he was sold too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    *to Demetris*

Booo. moon

Well, there's always his first superhero film, Thor, to look forward to.

Is he confirmed for Thor?
  5. Eshkeri said himself in an interview a few months back he was going to score it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Recorded his score for "Telstar".
    (http://www.lmo.co.uk/?page=news&id=108)

What's this addiction of his with star-y thingies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    About the scenery, this was shot in Iceland and Scotland if I wasn't mistaken right? It looks splendid, my father immediately asked me where they shot this since he was sold too smile

Yes, Iceland and Scotland are listed as locations for the movie. As well as being used as actual locations, a lot of the scenery was filmed and transferred to computer for use as virtual locations.

Here's a couple of my own photos showing locations used in Stardust:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … dified.jpg (try and ignore the dead sheep in the foreground of this image!)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … dified.jpg

And whilst we are on the subject, here's a few more photos from Skye:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … 3d6c54.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … 17bc2b.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/s … 198122.jpg

Roll on August!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh dear. Alan!!

Me and a friend are probably going on a hike this summer. We had planned Norway.
    Perhaps change that to Scotland? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Oh dear. Alan!!

Me and a friend are probably going on a hike this summer. We had planned Norway.

No, Norway should do! wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. When taking into consideration certain board member's user names, would it be dirty to say:

"Eshkeri scores Thor"?

tongue

(But only for 30 minutes)
  7. Bregt wrote
    Oh dear. Alan!!

I think both countries are too beautiful for words. I visited Norway once and its definitely a beautiful land. anyhoo, wonderful picks Alan

Thanks