• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 47 Ronin (Ilan Eshkeri) is out... and it's worth checking out. One helluvan action score. Big orchestra, big drums, yet plenty space for solo violins and (bamboo) flutes. Probably owes a little to The Last Samurai, but is more aggressive than that.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    Ooo! Sounds good!
    Will have a look-out for that one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I got this one yesterday. Definitely worth checking out. I found it a bit variable with some less than interesting moments but the highs are certainly a winner. Ilan's had a good year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I got this one yesterday. Definitely worth checking out. I found it a bit variable with some less than interesting moments but the highs are certainly a winner. Ilan's had a good year.

nice, will check it out later
    thanks for the heads up
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. My review of 47 Ronin has just gone live over at Synchrotones' Soundtrack Reviews.
    Check it out - more importantly, check out the score!

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I quite enjoyed some of this but a lot of it was too mickey-mouse filler for my taste.

It's quite thematic actually, but you have to be in the mood to notice it, it's quite fun smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Synchrotones wrote
    My review of 47 Ronin has just gone live over at Synchrotones' Soundtrack Reviews.
    Check it out - more importantly, check out the score!

<s>

It's got some very nice 5-6 cues, the rest (long, loooong middle section) is quite tiring outside the cd. The leitmotif though, as it appears on the main titles (first and especially last, same-titled cue) is outstanding.
  5. If the main title cue is one of the highlights, I'll skip the rest of the score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qbeb0ntM2M
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. That cue (Oishi's Tale) is indicative, but not the sole highlight.

For me, highlights are Kirin Hunt (2), Dutch Island Fugue (10), Palace Battle (16), The Witch Dragon (17) and especially Mika & Kai (20) and Seppuku (21); and 47 Ronin (22).

<s>
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thanks, I'll give those tracks a try. beer
  7. Nice making-of video about Eshkeri's score The Invisible Woman.
    Some of the material reminds me of The Red Violin (Corigliano).

<s>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014
    It has minimalistic elements and traits of Richter too. Man he has come a long way as a composer. That sounds wonderful. I am impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Interesting high-profile (look at the cast! and premise) assignment for Ilan. Looking forward:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/07/28 … black-sea/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014
    Another new score for one of the best upcoming composers, imo

STILL ALICE
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/09/02 … ill-alice/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    one of the best upcoming composers

shocked

Strange.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Yeah - he's good, but I'm not sure I'd put him right up among the best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014 edited
    He's not impressed me yet. Nothing bad but nothing really special either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014
    I really, really liked Stardust, but not much else so far, to be honest.
    Well, Young Victoria is nice as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Even Stardust was incredibly derivative of the RC scores of the time. Entertaining, to be sure...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Justin and the Knights of Valour is very, very good. 47 ronin shows much promise, kick-ass was very entertaining, centurion is derivative but massively sounding and epic, Coriolanus worked great in the film and was experimental, the invisinble woman was also interesting and Hannibal Rising was exceptional. I find him shifting styles, experimenting, i think as an upcoming composer, if given the right projects to score, will shine. Same as Frederik Wiedmann.
  9. Stardust I loooove (easily 4 stars in my book, a bit more on a good day). Young Victoria is great. Austenland is a little masterpiece. 47 Ronin kicks so many flavours of ass, I've lost count. Coriolanus is a bit too far-out for me; but Centurion I do really like. Justin is an uninspired work for a shit film (by all accounts).

I love Eshkeri and can't wait for whatever comes next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    Justin, i found that very entertaining smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    Scribe wrote
    Even Stardust was incredibly derivative of the RC scores of the time.

You think so? Can't really say I can hear that.
    To be sure, the score is not innovative, and makes several lovely nods to Horner and late eighties/early nineties Fantasy scoring, but I do not hear RC at all, to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2014
    Agree with Martijn here.
  10. It's got a couple of (vague, not nearly as obvious as these things have been, but still present) Pirates of the Caribbean-isms, and of course a four-chords main theme. But if anyone should be complaining about influences in Stardust, it's Wojciech Kilar and Howard Shore. wink
  11. Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Even Stardust was incredibly derivative of the RC scores of the time.

You think so? Can't really say I can hear that.
    To be sure, the score is not innovative, and makes several lovely nods to Horner and late eighties/early nineties Fantasy scoring, but I do not hear RC at all, to be honest.

just the fact you hear such old fashioned adventurous music in a recent film nowadays earns the highest praise for me. No matter how 'been there done that' it sounds like.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Samples from Still Alice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014
    NETTWERK TO RELEASE THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK TO STILL ALICE, STARRING 2015 GOLDEN GLOBE-NOMINEE JULIANNE MOORE

ORIGINAL FILM SCORE BY BRITISH COMPOSER ILAN ESHKERI

AVAILABLE ON JANUARY 13, 2015

December 17, 2014 (Los Angeles, CA) -- Nettwerk is proud to release the Still Alice: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on January 13, just a few days before the wide opening of the film on January 16. Composed by acclaimed British composer Ilan Eshkeri (The Young Victoria, Stardust), the score has already received critical praise for its beautiful accentuation of the film’s highly emotional journey, which follows Alice Howland (portrayed by 2015 Golden Globe-nominee Julianne Moore) as she struggles with Early-Onset Alzheimer’s
    Disease. The album will also feature a cover of Lyle Lovett’s “If I Had A Boat” by British musician Karen Elson, which plays during the credits at the end of the film.

Directed by Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland, Still Alice centers around Alice Howland (Julianne Moore), who is happily married (to Alec Baldwin) with three grown children (played by Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth and Hunter Parrish). Alice is a renowned linguistics professor who starts to forget words. When she receives a diagnosis of Early-Onset Alzheimer's Disease, Alice and her family find their bonds thoroughly tested. Her struggle to stay connected to who she once was is frightening, heartbreaking, and inspiring.
    Kazoo
  13. My review of STILL ALICE for those who are interested. It's a small but lovely score.
  14. My review of Shaun The Sheep Movie by Ilan Eshkeri.