• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2017 edited
    OK, so I have two questions.

1. In one week, I host my annual Easter quiz (private) in my hometown. I'm responsible for the music part (with clips). But it can't be film music. It needs to be pop/rock. I've previously received criticism for not having questions and clips from the 2000s onwards. So: do you have any ideas for topics/clips/angles I could use? I want to have some older stuff (esp. 80s), but I need some newer stuff too. These are regular folks, my age, with more or less knowledge of pop music.

2. Another quiz idea I'm creating is for a much later event (maybe as much as one year), but I had to develop it while it was fresh in my mind. It's a film music quiz, and the goal of the quizzers is to guess the composer based on the trademark sound, but not necessarily the film (these are film-savvy people). As such, I need suggestions for FAMOUS composers, but with a lesser known score that nonetheless displays their "sound". Examples:

John Williams -- "Sunday Night Football"
    Bernard Herrmann -- "Overture" from THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY
    James Horner -- "Ride of the Firemares" from KRULL
    Jerry Goldsmith -- "Hot Water" from OUTLAND

etc. You get the idea.

I have these additional composers covered already: Martinez, Korzeniowski, Elfman, Goldenthal, Morricone, Delerue, Moroder, Zimmer, Mancini, Barry, Carpenter, Rozsa, R. Newman, T. Newman, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis and Glass.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited
    I've done a few pop quizzes as you know, I'll get back to you with some ideas. You say 'clips', I'm presuming you mean recorded clips with live sound at the venue?

I'll leave the film score stuff to others wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017
    Having said that have you thought of doing a "pop" composers film music round? For example, Mike Oldfield's track Etude from The Killing Fields is distinctly Oldfield's sound as is anything by Giorgio Moroder or Ry Cooder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks, Tim! Yes, I mean clips with live sound (i.e. my own computer/Spotify hooked up to speakers, probably).

And yes, I've also thought about doing a theme about pop composers in film music (in fact, even to do a podcast about it, as a sequel to the one I did about DJs in film music), but there aren't that many who sound exactly like their pop music.

Or did you think about THIS particular quiz? As you see, I already have Moroder, Tangerine Dream and Vangelis included in the query. These are all 'crossover' composers with idiosyncratic sound who've all done less known films that are nonetheless typical of their sound. Phew....lots of criteria needed. smile

If you're curious about the Barry, btw, I chose the main theme from RAISE THE TITANIC -- they should be able to recognize it's him based on the long-lined, upwards-striving theme and the brass counterpoint at the end of each line. But I'm confident they will not recognize the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

pop composers in film music ...

Such as Hans Zimmer?

Takes coat ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some ideas for more "modern" questions...

Ceelo Green and Danger Mouse had a huge hit with 'Crazy' under which name were they known ( Gnarls Barkley )

Name David Bowie's last album released on 8th January 2016 just two days before his death ( Blackstar )

Which member of One Direction did Taylor Swift date ( Harry Styles )

Name the first James Bond theme to win a best song Oscar ( Skyfall )

Which artists had a massive hit with Uptown Funk ( Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars )

Umbrella singer Rhianna was born in which country ( Barbados )

What was the title of Coldplay's first album released in 2000 ( Parachutes )

Singer/songwriter Barry Alan Pincus recently revealed the "shocking news" to the world that he is gay, by what name is he better known ( Barry Manilow )

And stuff like this Thor, everything from the cerebral to the tabloid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017
    Excellent, Timmer, thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017
    Tonight I take part in a quiz, the first in a loooong time. I'm sure we will fail miserably.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017
    You can do it Bregt punk

Thor, how did your quiz go?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited
    The Easter quiz went fine. It was supposed to be a music quiz rather than questions (since all the others had brought written questions), so I eventually landed on "famous TV themes from the 70s to the 2010s". Personally, I felt I picked extremely easy choices, but one should never overestimate one's audience. There were several who got things wrong nonetheless.

Let us know how your virgin quiz turns out, Bregt!
    I am extremely serious.