• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    It's nearer 25 minutes of score, not 15.

Still not a lot though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    It's nearer 25 minutes of score, not 15.

Still not a lot though.

I was going off the old LP tracklisting, where over half the tracks are stated as not being by Barry (and the album's only 30 minutes long anyway). The fact that every single Barry track is subtitled "Theme from Day of the Locust" doesn't suggest there's much variety there either, but that might just be one of those quirky things that used to happen sometimes on soundtrack LPs.

I don't suppose it will be around long, so I need to make a quick decision...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    More accurately it's just over 20 minutes of score.

I honestly can't help you on this one James, I only had the LP for a short while ( amongst a lot of stuff stolen from me back in the ealy 1980's ) so I never became familiar with it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Southall wrote
    The fact that every single Barry track is subtitled "Theme from Day of the Locust" doesn't suggest there's much variety there either

And considering the fact that within each track every single Barry measure is repeated multiple times, I'd say you've got about 5 minutes of new John Barry music. Which is approximately 20 measures.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    old john Barry music....get it right! rolleyes wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    According to some leaked news at FSM David Arnold's ID4 is to get a complete release.

It don't mean much to me but I know there are some here who will find that news of great interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's of little interest to me either. But now I'm wondering what the subliminal John Barry message might be.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My bad shame

I meant to post it in the DAVID ARNOLD thread.

I was knackered last night, I blame that
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    No worries, David Arnold is the right heir to the John Barry thread!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Thanks to Neotrinity at FSM for this...

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Damn we should be getting more of this man, it's such a shame. Thanks for the vid, started watching it and it's quite interesting, what he says.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    I'm hoping that Intrada's release on monday is THE DEEP, all the clues point to this and I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't.

DAMN! I hate getting caught up in hype crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    THE DEEP
    Composed and Conducted by JOHN BARRY
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 143

John Barry's score for the 1977 Columbia Pictures' film The Deep would immortalize him as a master of melancholy romance -- its somber, oceanic, majestically unfurling themes the hallmark of the mature Barry. This is on full display in “First Discovery (Main Title),” presenting the full score in miniature: the gentle water-drop plinking of piano backed by strings, swelling into long, undulating string-and-woodwind passages, alternately sweetly melodic and ominously discordant. Somehow, Barry gives us an aural equivalent of the now descending, now rising movement of deep-water dives. Barry goes further; he captures the details -- the upward stream of silvery air bubbles; the downward drift of shafts of light; the languid, liquid motion of bodies in water—all are present in Barry’s score for The Deep. The score contains an unusual amount of underwater scoring. It is thick, dense, rippling and flowing, with an emphasis on one beautiful theme enrobed in dramatic, colorful orchestrations. Barry evokes the sea… not one of sparkle and beauty, but rather one of mystery, danger and darkness that—as the theme song by Donna Summer suggests—comes from “down, deep inside”.

The Deep details the adventures of Gail (Jacqueline Bisset) and David (Nick Nolte), vacationers who discover an odd couple of artifacts while exploring an undersea wreck off the coast of Bermuda: a beautiful antique medallion and a far more modern ampoule filled morphine. The artifacts come from both a 19th-century Spanish treasure ship and a World War II cargo vessel, the wrecks of which are co-mingled by a recent storm. Gail and David are determined to lay hands on the romantic Spanish treasure, but meanwhile, word of the morphine reaches the island’s drug kingpin, Henri Cloche (Louis Gossett Jr.), who sets about terrorizing the young couple in hopes of finding the whereabouts of the putative multi-million-dollar haul.

For The Deep's first soundtrack appearance on CD, Intrada presents two CDs. The first disc presents the complete score from the original session masters housed at Columbia Pictures, in pristine mono. The second disc is the original LP presentation, mastered from the stereo album masters stored in the vaults at Universal Music Group.

This release is limited to 3000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 143
    Retail Price: $29.99
    AVAILABLE 8/31/2010
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6707/.f

Complete Original Motion Picture Score (CD 1)
    01. First Discovery (Main Title) 3:55
    02. More Discovery 3:02
    03. The Coin; The Vial; The Chase 3:27
    04. Your Ship Is Dead; Here You’ll Need This;
    Second Dive; Eel Attack 8:56
    05. Voo Doo 1:48
    06. Tower; Helpless 1:30
    07. Three Key Lock; All Yours 3:43
    08. Soft Kisses; Dive Preparations 3:01
    09. Third Dive 5:32
    10. Trouble 3:03
    11. Shark Bait (Original Version);
    Coffin Discovers; Death Grip 4:34
    12. Kevin Dead; Goodbye Coffin 3:09
    13. After Explosion 4:46
    14. Final Dive/Final Eel Attack; End Credits 7:54

CD 1 Total Time 58:46

Original 1977 Soundtrack Album (CD 2)
    01. Return To The Sea – 2033 A.D. 24:01
    A Ballet Based On The Score From The Motion Picture The Deep
    02. Theme From The Deep (Down, Deep Inside)
    - Donna Summer 4:24
    03. Theme From The Deep – John Barry 4:33
    04. Disco Calypso - Beckett 7:29
    05. Theme from The Deep (Down, Deep Inside)
    - Donna Summer (A Love Song) 4:01

CD 2 Total Time 44:43
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, congrats, Timmer, this is for you! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Moi? Surely not!? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I'm hoping that Intrada's release on monday is THE DEEP, all the clues point to this and I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't.

DAMN! I hate getting caught up in hype crazy

*phew!* cool
  1. Kritzerland have announced the release of Barry's The Whisperers:

http://www.kritzerland.com/whispequus.htm

Twinned with Equus (Richard Rodney Bennett).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Are you going to get these two releases Alan?
  2. Yes...as they are on the same CD! wink

The clips sound good. I've looked for Equus before but was put off by it's hard-to-find status as well as all the intrusive dialogue.

I have pre-ordered it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Oh, I didn't realise they were both on the same CD? Either way, I need to be a bit more frugal in my purchases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/t … ohn-barry/

Classic Barry
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    A good review Tom, I think Barry's underwater music from THUNDRBALL is more comparable to Herrmann's.

p.s. It's John Barry's 77th birthday today smile cool beer
  3. Well congrats to the man that couldn't be there when the Brussels Philharmonic sent his gorgeous tunes towards my approving ears a few weeks ago. 't Was a great experience for me, and many more. beer

And looks like I totally missed out on The Deep, but I can't say the clips won me over.

Damn, where's my shield... confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    I like The Deep but to be honest it's not one of his better efforts so no shield needed wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
  4. Timmer wrote
    I like The Deep but to be honest it's not one of his better efforts so no shield needed wink

Ah, thanks for that. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    John Barry passed away from a heart attack. One of the true titans of film music - one of the main reasons I became such a fan. Rest in peace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very sad news. May he rest in peace.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh man. That is awful news. RIP.
    Kazoo
  5. This is sad news indeed. I haven't been affected in such a way since I heard the passing of Jerry Goldsmith. Rest In Peace, John.

A day of John Barry music I feel.