• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Got a spare 50+ minutes? People, this is well worth your time, a very good documentary about John Barry, the man and his music with interview with the man himself and various actors & directors.

MOVIEOLA

Very recommended.

p.s. It's NOT youtube and the quality is exceptionally good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Access denied here at work. I'll watch it at home later. Thanks Tim. Looking forward to know some insider info about JB, a man I don't know too much about really except for a few select scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    Cool Gilles, I hope others here check it out too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Watched it and I was entranced the whole way through. The documentary focuses on his more romantic films and scores such as Dances With Wolves, Born Free, Body Heat, Chaplin, Somewhere in Time and Out of Africa. Loved the interludes where you see the silhouettes playing parts of a theme and the directors' views on his writing.

And this man really understood what a movie needed, to give it a soul through music, to understand the whole point of a film and its characters and story. John said it himself that many young composers nowadays don't know how to do that, and I have to agree. The world has lost a truly great man. sad

Everybody that likes at least one JB score should see this. The documentary's from 1993 by the way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Yeah, this was very sad news. Some classic scores written by the man!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's a Barry rarity...

Sleep Well My Darling

I hadn't heard this for years, it's not included on THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM soundtrack but was released on a 45rpm as the B-side to Wednesdays Child which is the theme from The Quiller Memorandum, I don't know if I still have this 45?
  4. I listened to The Man With The Golden Gun for the first time yesterday and was surprised that I enjoyed it so much! For some reason I'd assumed that I would not like it at all. Partly because of the song (not one of my favourite) or the film (not one of my favourite)?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry himself wasn't pleased with the song, I think he did the whole score in a rush, two or three weeks.

I quite like the score though it's far from being a favourite Bond score, I'm with you on the song, I'm not particularly fond of it although I loved it as a kid....taste change and all that. wink
  5. The actual melody is fine and its appearance in the score is good, I think that I just don't like Lulu's performance much. In saying that though when she sings the softer passages it's actually quite appealing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    A thank you to Onyabirri over at FSM for posting this fantastic interview with John Barry from the New York based radio show WNYC 'Spinnin On Air', excellent and insightful, the DJ also plays some stuff besides the usual Bond and Dances With Wolves, highly recommended.

JOHN BARRY INTERVIEW

It's in two parts, nearly two hours worth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    A few years ago a danish television show used one of John Barry's tracks as a theme song. I don't know what track this is, and where it's from, but it's bloody good! It sounds a lot like Beat Girl, so that would be my guess. Anyone here who knows what track this is?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0UdAAx7YWo#t=00m19s
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011
    Artworks wrote
    A few years ago a danish television show used one of John Barry's tracks as a theme song. I don't know what track this is, and where it's from, but it's bloody good! It sounds a lot like Beat Girl, so that would be my guess. Anyone here who knows what track this is?

For some reason I'm getting no picture or sound despite the fact it shows that it's playing? confused
  6. Yeah, sounds almost exactly like "Beat Girl".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011
    Artworks wrote

Okay, finally got it to play.

It's NOT Beat Girl. ( though it does sound darn close ) I've heard this track many times in the past on Brit TV, I expect it's some library track.
  7. Artworks wrote

Sorry can't help you with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Artworks wrote

Okay, finally got it to play.

It's NOT Beat Girl. ( though it does sound darn close ) I've heard this track many times in the past on Brit TV, I expect it's some library track.

Found it! It's called "Mood One" and it's apparantly part of the album "Betty Page Danger Girl Burlesque Music". According to the comments on the Youtube video, you are right Timmer, about it being a library track smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Lars. I prefer it to Beat Girl, great track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Yeah, me too, although Beat Girl is a great track too. I have to look into some of the John Barry Seven stuff, don't know it all that well. What cd(s) can you recommend? The EMI Years vol. 1-3?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    Artworks wrote
    Yeah, me too, although Beat Girl is a great track too. I have to look into some of the John Barry Seven stuff, don't know it all that well. What cd(s) can you recommend? The EMI Years vol. 1-3?

Those are great and almost comprehensive of his early work, all three volumes are hit/miss depending on your taste. Check on Amazon for sound clips.

I noticed that 'Mood One' is not on any of them, a licensing issue I would guess?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Artworks wrote

Those are great and almost comprehensive of his early work, all three volumes are hit/miss depending on your taste. Check on Amazon for sound clips.

I noticed that 'Mood One' is not on any of them, a licensing issue I would guess?

Though is the same track available HERE?

Though if you go here there's a great sounding track - "Jaguar God" - composed by Dominic Frontiere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I wish I could download MP3's from Amazon, but that's restricted in many countries sad Hmm, maybe iTunes has it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    BTW, "Mood Three" is Beat for Beatnicks smile
  8. Artworks wrote
    I wish I could download MP3's from Amazon, but that's restricted in many countries sad Hmm, maybe iTunes has it...

It should be more generally available either in iTunes or Amazon in other countries.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    This lovely little story HERE from 'Doug's corner' at INTRADA sad cool
  9. Timmer wrote
    This lovely little story HERE from 'Doug's corner' at INTRADA sad cool

yeah, I've already read it. Sometimes Fate is just around the corner
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Wonderful story there. Thanks for linking it. cool

And what do you know, I just got my Silva 4 disc Barry collection this morning, after it being shipped insanely fast from the UK. Needless to say, I'm very happy. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wonderful story there. Thanks for linking it. cool

And what do you know, I just got my Silva 4 disc Barry collection this morning, after it being shipped insanely fast from the UK. Needless to say, I'm very happy. beer

It's a very worthy collection of his work, still hit/miss though, quite a few tracks are very off but it's a minor quibble compared to how much value for money you get from these discs.
  11. Most of that music I never heard before, so I won't be able to compare to the original recordings.

And it was very good value for money: only 15 pounds, shipping included
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Here's a really lovely tribute from HANS ZIMMER
  12. Beautiful homage and a similar taste to mine. I always loved Hammett, especially the main title!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website