• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    In fact I would say I'm more the opposite these days, I love subtle use of choir, I've overdosed on the seeming continual and inappropriate use of huge choral/orchestral forces used in a lot of modern films, mostly to hide the fact that the bare-bones music itself is incredibly weak, bring me back the days when a THE ROBE, a LION IN WINTER, a FINAL CONFLICT, a CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or a CONAN THE BARBARIAN were not the bleeding norm.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Crash - Mark Isham

Outside of the spectacular new-age vocal highlights, the score doesn't really make an impression.

Wrong thread, Kevin! smile

As you may know, this is one of my favourite scores ever, and it just keeps growing and growing every time I listen to it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I suggest giving it a few more chances.

I was wondering where it went...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    If anyone missed this one a couple years back from Intrada here's your chance, personally I think it's a must have.

http://www.kritzerland.com/untilsept.htm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So do I, a beautiful score (but I already have it twice on CD).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On LP or the pairing with STAR CRASH....possibly one of the oddest paired two scores by the same composer on one CD ever dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    Wonder if anyone else watched the strangely-titled "Classic Brits" on ITV last night. Tribute to John Barry included, with a medley of very brief excerpts from some of his scores and then "Heres to the Heroes", the song based on his Dances With Wolves theme. Anyway, I thought all that was nice to see, though I'd rather they'd just done one or two of his pieces in full. The highlight was certainly Shirley Bassey singing Goldfinger - still a remarkable voice even at 74.

The lowlight was the announcer saying that Don Black (accepting a "lifetime contribution to music" award on Barry's behalf) saying that he had "created the themes from Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves" with Barry. Ummm... in what way did he do that? (All he did was plaster truly atrocious lyrics over those themes many years after they were written.) How bloody hard is it to do even a slight amount of research?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011 edited
    Didn't see it but I'm sure that must have made Don cringe.
  1. I didn't see any of it. But I have read comments saying that the whole thing was cringeworthy and not too good.

But, the majority of comments do appear to be positive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Don't forget that the recent John Barry Memorial Concert at the RAH is broadcast from 8.00pm tonight on BBC Radio 2.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011
    I wonder if they'll edit Rumer's fluffed line while singing We Have All The Time In The World?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What happened?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    She came in too soon on one of the lines and Nicholas Dodds gently remedied it with a hand signal and ushered her in at the right point, other than that she sang it well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011
    Anyone here listen to it? I read that Rumer's fluff was edited out as was Laurie Barry's end speech and the Beyondness of Things piece.
  3. Unfortunately I missed it. We had a delivery of furniture and we were still sorting things out!

Hopefully I will catch it on iPlayer this week.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Best news I've heard this year....

Mornin' y'all

Hope you folks in the good ol' USofA had a splendid July 4th holiday and you fine folks overseas had a great Jully 4th as well.

Due to the craziness of thi wonderful thing called show business a number of planned releases debuting at Comic Con this year have, for one reason or another, has been delayed.

That said, one title is in stock and ready to ship next Tuesday, thus this informal announcement.

Starting next Tuesday, July 12 at 1 pm PST La La Land Records starts shipping:

THE GOLDEN CHILD
    LLLCD 1180
    Music by Michel Colombier and John Barry
    3 Disc Set
    Limited Edition of 5000 units
    Retail Price: $29.98

Produced by Lukas Kendall
    Mastered by Mike Matessino
    Liner Notes by Jon Burlingame
    Art Direction by Jim Titus

This massive 3 disc set features both scores for the film -- Barry's mostly rejected score as well as Colombier's score used for the film. Barry fans are in for a treat. His score to this Eddie Murphy flick is one of the finest he ever wrote. It's like his lost Bond score by way of Somewhere in Time.

There is the tease. More to come later.

MV
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    No interest in the Barry, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Colombier score, so this is great news! It's a tricky case, though, because it includes a lot of unwanted material (C&C Colombier+Barry), and I'm not sure I'd give $30 for that, but I certainly have to think long and hard about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like Colombier's score but wouldn't buy it without the inclusion of John Barry's score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FSM = 44 posts and counting

MT = 2 posts.....
  4. Three now.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

MT = 2 posts.....

Well, I doubt MT can match FSM in the activity department on any topic.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I could with one post... ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

MT = 2 posts.....

Well, I doubt MT can match FSM in the activity department on any topic.

I don't think that's true Thor, put a Barry, Williams and ( in particularly ) Goldsmith post and Yeah, FSM will never get beaten but I'd say posts for Giacchano, Powell and Zimmer are of similar sized traffic, perhaps even more so here at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

MT = 2 posts.....

OK, I'll chime in.
    Thoroughly detested the movie.
    NO idea what the score sounded like, but my interest is at a comfortable 1 degree Kelvin level... wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Latest update from MV

Just to add some more info to this release:

How did this come about?

The magic of Sir Lukas Kendall working miracles at Capitol Records and Paramount Pictures on behalf of La La Land Records. This is our 2nd project with Mr Kendall (Star Trek V being the first). We have many more projects in the works with Mr. Kendall. Its an absolute joy to work with him. Plus, our offices are right down the street from his favorite batting cage place.

Why 5000 units?

Simply put, it was a contractual thing. Capitol Records required from us that we produce 5000 units. Plus, we hope this sells well with all you Barry, Columbier and RATT fans. Yes, that's right -- the Ratt song is on the cd.

Why 3 discs and whats on it?

Disc 1 consists of Barry score for the film. Its an absolute treasure! As stated before, it's like the lost BOND score. After we all heard it we asked ourselves, "What movie was he watching?" LOL!

Disc 2 consists of Columbier score... a true delight for those fans of 80's electronica. His score ranks right up there with Faltermeyer and Moroder.

Disc 3 is a hodge podge of songs that were featured on the original LP release as well as Barry alternates, including a tossed out song Barry wrote and Randy Edelman performed!

Was Mr Barry involved at all before his passing?

Sadly, Mr. Barry did not get to see the end result of Jim Titus' gorgeous package (insert joke here) and Mr Burlingame superlative notes. I'm sure if he were still around he would have been very happy to see one of his lost masterpieces see the light of day.

So, what about Comic Con and all your hype?

At the beginning of the year we were racing toward Comic Con with 6 titles, hoping that at least 3 or 4 would make it in time. As the days grew closer and the problems/delays started to mount up on some of those titles, we started to rethink our approach. Once mid June hit and we realized that only 1 of those titles was actually going to be done, we decided "WHAT THE HELL", unleash the Chosen One early to the world. Four of those titles will not be done in time for the Con.

These four titles were going to be:

Batman Forever Expanded Archival Collection
    Forever Young Expanded Archival Collection
    Space Above and Beyond (3 cd set)
    1941 (2 cd set)

Those titles are still coming -- When? Who knows....but they are in the chute.

That said, we might have one more title come in just in time for Comic Con -- that will be making its debut at the show and then on the website Aug 2. It was produced by Ford A Thaxton and Lukas Kendall and should, hopefully be here shortly.

We'll keep you all posted on that and other Comic Con news shortly.

In the meantime, enjoy The Golden Child.

MV
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Really looking forward to this. Barry music I've never heard at all - not much of that left, but La-La has unearthed some. Great (potentially).
  6. Forever Young expanded? wow. I know my brother will truly love that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Really looking forward to this. Barry music I've never heard at all - not much of that left, but La-La has unearthed some. Great (potentially).

I'm familiar with the bits on the old LP and I also had/have a 45 rpm with the song The Best Man In The World which has a lovely instrumental on the B-side which I hope will be included.

There's some Barry score left in the film too, though not much, the film is just about worth a watch if you have nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon and it's showing on Channel 5.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...of course if there's some crushed glass that needs rubbing in your eyes while inhaling mustard gas it could be a tough choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooo! Bring on the glass!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn