• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Oooo! Bring on the glass!

I'll bookmark this for future reference wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As long as it doesn't relate to a certain Minimalist, be my guest.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ha! That's rich!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

...ermmmm, that's exactly what I was thinking of wink

You were maybe hoping for stuff along the lines of Sir Mix a Lot? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Sad that both Barry and Colombier are gone, and not around to see this release (although I'm not sure Barry, at least, would care very much).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

...ermmmm, that's exactly what I was thinking of wink

You were maybe hoping for stuff along the lines of Sir Mix a Lot? biggrin

No, I was KINDA hoping for a reference in the Now Drinking thread... sad
    wine champagne christmas_drunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Sad that both Barry and Colombier are gone, and not around to see this release (although I'm not sure Barry, at least, would care very much).

Dont pollute the thread, Thor.
    We're talking serious toot here.
    angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    A very different version of Goldfinger, at one point I expect Steve McQueen to ride into a Bandit run Mexican town...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ-SjZq6KHQ
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    THE GOLDEN CHILD

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/GoldenChild.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    A very different version of Goldfinger, at one point I expect Steve McQueen to ride into a Bandit run Mexican town...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ-SjZq6KHQ

Whoah!
    That is some trumpet playing! shocked

...and definitely one of the more interesting arrangements/interpretations I've heard.

Timmer wrote
    THE GOLDEN CHILD

Properly pleased for you, mate. smile beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011 edited
    Thank you, Martijn, that is much appreciated beer Apart from myself and James, this appeals to maybe one or two others on this board. For me, this is without any shadow of a doubt at all THE release of the year, I can't think of anything that will top this for me, and yes, that includes a possible THE BLACK HOLE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    This is bigger than The Black Hole for me too, since I already have a decent album of that - have never heard anything of this other than one of the songs and the PR has certainly made it sound like a good one. May well turn out to be the last big release of any largely-unheard Barry music (there can't be much of it left), so it's a pretty big moment for his fans.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do like THE BLACK HOLE, though it's never been a favourite of mine ( there's at least two great tracks in the film not released on the album ) I'll still be bouncing off the walls if it gets a complete release. THE GOLDEN CHILD is something else though, this is about as close as we'll get to hearing a "new" John Barry score.

1. I was going to give this one a miss but then I listened to the audio clips and that changed my mind!

I may even enjoy the Colombier tracks. But it is amazing the different styles. How could the filmmakers get it so wrong choosing Barry if they wanted what was eventually used. Hopefully the liner notes will expand.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true Alan, if you hire John Barry you should pretty much know what you are going to get.
  2. Surely they would go to Barry and ask for some of his sound? Maybe the composer had some sleepless nights wondering how he could deliver something he knew he could not give them?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. The director attended some of the session, then left. I don't think he cared. I think he hired Barry based on being famous and doing Bond scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    He obviously didn't care much for the films he's made, all of them are piss poor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    For a massive Barry fan like myself this has been a brilliant year but burdened with great sadness at the loss of one of the all time great composers.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7229/.f

A no-brainer order for me.
  4. glad to see one of those holy grails getting a release
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011 edited
    It's not one of mine though, Thomas.

Considering I'm a massive John barry fan and certainly his biggest fan on this board I have to admit I don't quite get the feverish lust for this score that is often referred to as a "grail" for his many fans, don't get me wrong, I think this is a brilliant release and there is some great music but it's certainly not up there with Barry's classics.

i am still gobsmacked that this ever saw the light of day though.....and in complete form. shocked omg
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    glad to see one of those holy grails getting a release

It is. It won't be long before there are no "Holy Grails" left! wink

I went for this one even though I find what I have heard goes over the main theme too often. I am hoping that the additional music will flesh out the overall feel of the score. And anyway, I only have a CD-R and it's good to be doing my bit for...etc, etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think some of the unreleased material is great.
  6. Timmer wrote
    I think some of the unreleased material is great.

Your comments did go into the mix when deciding on this one for me, Tim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Glad for the people who really wanted this one! But, well, I'm mostly glad to see this title will now disappear from the request lists. In the end it could get pretty annoying. And now that I've listened to the samples, I don't understand the appeal of it. Like Timmer said - sure, it's very solid Barry, but it's far from the best I've heard from him. I guess it's another one of those cult favourites.
  7. Timmer wrote

Considering I'm a massive John barry fan and certainly his biggest fan on this board I have to admit I don't quite get the feverish lust for this score that is often referred to as a "grail" for his many fans, don't get me wrong, I think this is a brilliant release and there is some great music but it's certainly not up there with Barry's classics.

i am still gobsmacked that this ever saw the light of day though.....and in complete form. shocked omg

the thing is, something you couldn't get is always much more appealing. The moment you get it after all this time sometimes tells you why o why you wanted to have it in the first place, I'm talking in general of course wink

I heard the score and I thought it was fun. Indeed not his best but fun, and that's more than most scores we're hearing of nowadays
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, there's a number of scores that I oh so desperately wanted and prayed that they would one day be released only to find that I was very disappointed and ended up hardly playing, Elmer Bernstein's GHOSTBUSTERS comes to mind in that regard and there are others that I can't think of right now, on the other end of the spectrum I would have murdered everyone elses Granny for complete John Barry JAMES BOND SCORES and then most of them were finally released after numerous decades and THEY have rarely been out of my playlist ever since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    Timmer wrote

You don't say?

This release seems to have passed most FSM'ers by! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    Indeedy Thor! They're not the most observant of people at that board even at the best of times. wink