• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    I don't know Erik? They are certainly available but I don't know how long for?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    Thanks! I'll dig around the site to see what I can find.

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Monday January 2nd on BBC RADIO 2 at 7.00 PM

Lyricist DON BLACK shares his memories of John Barry, should be well worthwhile to those of you who can tune in.

A reminder.

Someone at FSM mentioned that this can be recorded off of Sky+.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited
    An interview I've not seen before from the Jonathan Ross Tonight show...

John Barry interview

this must have been from 1990-early-1991?

A thank you to Stephen Woolston for highlighting this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012 edited
    New book out by Jon Burlingame

THE MUSIC OF JAMES BOND
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    For anyone interested, up late enough and can receive BBC 4...

OMNIBUS : John Barry - Licence To Thrill ( 12.40 am )

An hour documentary well worth seeing if you missed it originally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Thanks Tim. Not seen it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    Timmer wrote
    For anyone interested, up late enough and can receive BBC 4...

OMNIBUS : John Barry - Licence To Thrill ( 12.40 am )

An hour documentary well worth seeing if you missed it originally.

Enjoyed seeing it again (I did watch it when it was first on). A bit sad though, with retrospect, to see him saying that he'd love to do one great film a year (he would never do another film) and "It's a film score, just without a film to go with it" when talking about Eternal Echoes, a subtle implication that he wanted to write film music but didn't have anything to write it for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012 edited
    I thought I'd go through a series of cover versions of the John Barry/Leslie Bricusse legendary title song for the James Bond film YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE starting with, and what else could it be...

Nancy Sinatra's original soundtrack recording.

# 1 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    And possibly the very first cover version?

Again by Nancy Sinatra with a more "pop" arrangement but oddly, someone has put the original film opening credits to this track???

# 2 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
  1. Once I am back in the land of WiFi internet connection I will have a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    Nice one Alan beer

This version is by Ronnie Aldrich and his "two pianos", very much of the shopping centre variety this one...

# 3 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This version is by barking pop star Bjork, I like Bjork but her vocals here are not good, the gorgeous orchestral arrangement here is by Nicholas Dodd's and was dropped from being included on David Arnold's Shaken & Stirred : The James Bond Project album.

# 4 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012 edited
    For me THIS version is more like it, again it's the Dodd/Arnold arrangement but this time sung by sometimes Arnold collaborater Natacha Atlas ( she did vocals on STARGATE amongst others ), I think this is a dreamy and very sexy version of a very sexy song. Unlike Bjork's version this DID get a CD release on the CD:EP One Brief Moment.

# 5 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A very different version by New York jazz band Sex Mob, I quiite like this just for being that bit different.

# 6 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
  2. Timmer wrote
    I thought I'd go through a series of cover versions of the John Barry/Leslie Bricusse legendary title song for the James Bond film YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE starting with, and what else could it be...

# 1 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I cannot believe that there will be any other version that will approach this version. Possibly my favourite Bond song. The quality of Sinatra's voice is so strong for this song...I am reluctant to listen to any other versions in case they taint the original!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    And possibly the very first cover version?

Again by Nancy Sinatra with a more "pop" arrangement but oddly, someone has put the original film opening credits to this track???

# 2 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Awful. I don't like the pop arrangement and they have managed to ruin Sinatra's contribution.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Nice one Alan beer

This version is by Ronnie Aldrich and his "two pianos", very much of the shopping centre variety this one...

# 3 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I quite like this one. The tempo and whole feel of the track is quite similar to the original (I like similarity to originals in covers unless they are really different!)
  5. Timmer wrote
    This version is by barking pop star Bjork, I like Bjork but her vocals here are not good, the gorgeous orchestral arrangement here is by Nicholas Dodd's and was dropped from being included on David Arnold's Shaken & Stirred : The James Bond Project album.

# 4 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

No.

I like Björk's style in her own songs but I don't like it when applied to this song.
  6. Timmer wrote
    For me THIS version is more like it, again it's the Dodd/Arnold arrangement but this time sung by sometimes Arnold collaborater Natacha Atlas ( she did vocals on STARGATE amongst others ), I think this is a dreamy and very sexy version of a very sexy song. Unlike Bjork's version this DID get a CD release on the CD:EP One Brief Moment.

# 5 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Not a version I like. I don't like the character of Atlas' voice (regardless of this song) and I am not keen on the arrangement, particularly the electronic pops and whoops.
  7. Timmer wrote
    A very different version by New York jazz band Sex Mob, I quiite like this just for being that bit different.

# 6 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

God, that's awful!

The Hammond organ (?) is far too weak and insubstantial and it would be good if they actually tried to play the brass/wind instruments properly (says me the renowned musician!)

As I thought, the cover that was most like the original and left the vocals as much alone as possible (by having no vocals at all (version #3).

Thanks Tim for highlighting these various versions (honest!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

# 1 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I cannot believe that there will be any other version that will approach this version. Possibly my favourite Bond song. The quality of Sinatra's voice is so strong for this song...I am reluctant to listen to any other versions in case they taint the original!

A big cut and paste job as I'm sure you know Alan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see we only agree on one of the versions ( besides the original which I love ) which is that Bjork's version = NO!

I wasn't keen on the Ronnie Aldrich version, too muzak for my taste.

I'll put some more versions up soon and look forward to reading your opinions. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Roland Shaw and his Orchestra, he fared much MUCH better with his versions of Diamonds Are Forever and Goldfinger but this is a very pleasent arrangement.

# 7 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    I thought I'd hate this version but it actually turns out to be okay and I really quite like it.

The version is by Coldplay

# 8 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    I have no idea who The Quiets are? It sounds The Shadows-ish, either way I don't like this version.

# 9 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited
    This next version is very interesting as in it's an original title song written by John Barry and Leslie Bricusse but it's a completely different version. For whatever reason it was never used and a new song was composed and I can't say I'm unhappy about that, still, this does have a lot of charm.

The Shirley Bassey-esque vocal is by Julie Rogers.

# 10 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

It was released on the James Bond 30th Anniversary 2 CD set which included a number of rarities, have you ever heard this version Alan?
  8. Timmer wrote
    Roland Shaw and his Orchestra, he fared much MUCH better with his versions of Diamonds Are Forever and Goldfinger but this is a very pleasent arrangement.

# 7 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

This one was reasonably good until the wailing vocals started and then I had to move on. I sometimes wonder what these people were thinking when they thought, "yes, we need to do a different version of this song."
  9. Timmer wrote
    I thought I'd hate this version but it actually turns out to be okay and I really quite like it.

The version is by Coldplay

# 8 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Now this is much better.

So much removed from the original that it takes on a life of its own whilst still having a link to the original. A nice find Tim.
  10. Timmer wrote
    I have no idea who The Quiets are? It sounds The Shadows-ish, either way I don't like this version.

# 9 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I quite like this version. Although I don't have many tracks by The Shadows, their twangy guitar sound is something that I quite like (and has some similarities with guitar bands such as The Smiths). Another thing I like about it is that it's relatively simple in its orchestration. No frilly embellishments, just the melodic line and a bit of tasteful rhythms. Nice. (And I listened to it all the way through!)