• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    This next version is very interesting as in it's an original title song written by John Barry and Leslie Bricusse but it's a completely different version. For whatever reason it was never used and a new song was composed and I can't say I'm unhappy about that, still, this does have a lot of charm.

The Shirley Bassey-esque vocal is by Julie Rogers.

# 10 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

It was released on the James Bond 30th Anniversary 2 CD set which included a number of rarities, have you ever heard this version Alan?

No, I have never heard this one.

It's weird hearing this thinking that it could have been used in the film. I see what you mean about the Bassey-esque vocals. I don't mind that so much. What is grating is the "plinky-plonky", Hong Kong Phooey-style vibraphone(?). An immediate "no!". But an interesting listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    applause
    What a great effort and series of posts, Tim! beer

Sadly this....
    Timmer wrote
    Nancy Sinatra's original soundtrack recording.

# 1 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

...has never been one of my favourite Bond songs.

Nancy sure gives a great vocal performance though.
    I always thought it was a shame she never really got out from under her father's shadow.
    But then again Frank's stature is nigh-mythic, so that would have been a daunting task...if at all possible.

And possibly the very first cover version?

Again by Nancy Sinatra with a more "pop" arrangement
    # 2 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The vocals are still good, but the arrangement is terrible!
    What a mess of instrumentation, arranegement and production.
    What were they thinking? confused

Timmer wrote
    This version is by Ronnie Aldrich and his "two pianos", very much of the shopping centre variety this one...

# 3 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Yes, it's an elevator music/Chinese restaurant variety... but it's an elevator ride I'd take a few times (or I'd order an additional coffee after the Menu A with spring rolls) to be able to listen out the track. smile

This version is by barking pop star Bjork

# 4 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Björk should be quietly put to sleep. angry
    I can't stand her or the out of tune, all over the place random warbling that passes for "stylised "singing"" (MASSIVE quotation marks. It's neither stylish NOR singing in my opinion.)
    The arrangement is nice, though.

For me THIS version is more like it, again it's the Dodd/Arnold arrangement but this time sung by sometimes Arnold collaborater Natacha Atlas
    # 5 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

This is EXCELLENT! applause
    Great re-interpretation. Absolutely superb execution. Atlas nailed this!

A very different version by New York jazz band Sex Mob, I quiite like this just for being that bit different.

# 6 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I love this! biggrin
    Seriously out of the box.
    Fantastic groove and great new vision!
    (Not too keen on the saxophone, but that's a personal preference. This is a track that'd go on my chillax playlist in a heartbeat!)

Timmer wrote
    Roland Shaw and his Orchestra, he fared much MUCH better with his versions of Diamonds Are Forever and Goldfinger but this is a very pleasent arrangement.

# 7 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The instrumental arrangement is nice (but very similar to the original, so few surprises there; the strings are nice though). The vocals however are really, really poor and actually ruin it for me. sad Shame.

The version is by Coldplay

# 8 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Nice! I do like out-of-the-box interpretations, and this one is no exception.
    Not a fan of Coldplay, but this is very likable!
    As far as out-of-the-box thinking goes though, The Sex Mob version still takes the cake punk!

I have no idea who The Quiets are? It sounds The Shadows-ish, either way I don't like this version.

# 9 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

It's a Finnish cover band (indeed taking a broad leaf out of the Shadows' songbook).
    This is OK. "Hank Marvin stylistics" are very on-off for me. At times they work great. Other times, like this, not so much.
    But it's not bad. The tight backing band helps a lot.

Timmer wrote
    The Shirley Bassey-esque vocal is by Julie Rogers.

# 10 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I like the intro on this version FAR better than the original track's...too bad that when it segues into the actual song it falls completely flat. The original blows this out of the water!
    That said, I think Roges is GREAT here, and some of the piano work is VERY cool-jazzy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    Just found this! Whoops! Love Bond songs and will have a listen.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    First off, thank you guys for the appreciation biggrin beer

Martijn, it's very interesting that you mention Nancy Sinatra's "great" vocal performance, I think you'll find this very interesting and...

ENLIGHTENING.

When you and Bregt have the chance I'd recommend watching the entire program ( I suspect Alan has already seen it? ), it's excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...Julie Rogers...was the first choice to sing "You Only Live Twice" and that the second choice was actually Sinatra... Frank Sinatra.

Holy Broccoli! shocked THAT would have been the GREATEST Bond song EVER!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    When you and Bregt have the chance I'd recommend watching the entire program ( I suspect Alan has already seen it? ), it's excellent.

I have. Therefore I retract my earlier comment on not having heard the Julie Rogers version before! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a great song and everything, but don't you get tired of hearing a gazillion versions of it, Tim?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A gazillion? Yes! Ten versions? No! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012 edited
    A thank you to Peter Greenhill at FSM board for bringing this to my attention.

"John Barry - The Lost Tapes",
    BBC radio programme, June 26
    From the BBC website:
    "Eddi Fiegel explores the music of John Barry, drawing on a previously lost interview which gives a revealing insight into the British composer’s early film career and songwriting processes.
    John Barry, who passed away last year, was best known for his scores for the early James Bond films, as well as Midnight Cowboy, Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves.
    The winner of five Oscars, Barry was a private man - but in John Barry: The Lost Tapes Eddi Fiegal provides a revealing insight into his working life.
    Presenter/Eddi Fiegel, Producer/John Sugar for Sugar productions"
    Tuesday 26 June
    11.30-12.00pm
    BBC RADIO 4
    BBC Radio 4 Publicity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin … Tapes.html
  3. Listening to this now - and enjoying it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    Missed it. I'll have to catch up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … ost_Tapes/

I enjoyed it but wish there'd been much more.
  4. I really enjoyed it. I wonder if his own experiences from the sixties - actors sleeping 'round his place, driving to see (and being amazed by) the crowds cueing to see his movies - are replicated at all today?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That may depend if they're married or not? Still, that never stopped JB from playing the field, he had a real eye for the ladies hence his first three marriages failed.

I really enjoy listening to John Barry speak, he's a fine raconteur, I could listen to him chatting for ages. There are some "lost" interviews from the 60's that I hope will come to light one day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    Some strong hints on the FSM board that Intrada's releases on the 9th include JB's excellent score to THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM, I guess it's no surprise that I really hope this is so, expanded or not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited
    punk HOORAY!!! punk

QUILLER MEMORANDUM, THE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 201
    Date: 1966
    Tracks: 13
    Time = 35:12

Cool, classic John Barry soundtrack for superb Michael Anderson spy thriller starring George Segal, Alec Guinness, Max Von Sydow, Senta Berger. Music first appears on LP from Columbia label in 1966. Inspired by fresh script from Harold Pinter, drawn from Adam Hall best seller, Barry avoids James Bond style of spy music, nods instead towards atmospheric West Germany locale, bleak theme of rising neo-Nazi movement. For the record, composer produces perfect album offering majority of his score in vivid stereo sound. Haunting main waltz-theme "Wednesday's Child" anchors, suspenseful cues play in contrast. Album also features Matt Monro in vocal version of theme. Intrada CD features album program in stereo from Columbia master tapes, courtesy Sony. For album fans, original artwork features on one side of booklet, all new artwork features on other side. Take your pick! John Barry conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

600x600 Cover

Play all clips

01. Wednesday’s Child – Main Theme 2:10
    02. Quiller Caught – The Fight 2:48
    03. The Barrel Organ 2:39
    04. Oktober – Walk From The River 3:45
    05. Downtown (Tony Hatch) 2:20
    06. Main Title Theme 2:03
    07. Wednesday’s Child 2:35
    (John Barry / Mack David)
    (Sung by Matt Monro)
    08. The Love Scene – The Old House 3:49
    09. Autobahn March 2:43
    10. He Knows The Way Out! 2:16
    11. Night Walk In Berlin 3:03
    12. Quiller And The Bomb 2:33
    13. Have You Heard Of A Man
    Called Jones? – End Theme 1:53
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    Last year's been an incredible one for Horner with this and Black Gold, certainly nice to still hear such scoring approaches in modern, high-profile and mega-budget films.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Last year's been an incredible one for Horner with this and Black Gold, certainly nice to still hear such scoring approaches in modern, high-profile and mega-budget films.

Do you need an eye test D? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    fuck. copying it to the right topic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At least it proves that people still look at this thread even if 90% of all postings here are mine rolleyes wink
  5. Talk about topic derailment... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    See!? rolleyes
  6. Hm... Barry-related... somehow...

When I read Ernest Borgnine had passed away, the first thing that came to mind was The Black Hole, since that was probably the first movie I saw him, back in 19whatever. So, I´m happy to be able to play one of my favourite Barry scores to remember Ernest.

Close enough?
  7. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Do you need an eye test D? biggrin wink

Could be he's in on my long standing 'Barry Lives, he's just a young rogue' act. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hm... Barry-related... somehow...

When I read Ernest Borgnine had passed away, the first thing that came to mind was The Black Hole, since that was probably the first movie I saw him, back in 19whatever. So, I´m happy to be able to play one of my favourite Barry scores to remember Ernest.

Close enough?

In my book? YES! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    punk HOORAY!!! punk

QUILLER MEMORANDUM, THE

Not heard of this one! Intriguing, though, I must admit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012 edited
    My copy of THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM arrived today.

Nice pic of HARRISON FORD on the cover. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    ...and the new FSM CD is....

BODY HEAT

punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    Would it be a stupid question to ask if you're gonna get this, Tim?
    I am extremely serious.