• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012
    Southall wrote
    I just love, love, love this piece by John Barry (an unused theme from OHMSS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WteW3SVxW8

Not sure what it is about it - I just love it.

Me too! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not the first time when JNH thanks Hans. He famously thanked Zimmer on Waterworld, because JNH used some of his samples and potentially Hans delivered some electronic programming on that one.

So Zimmer actually had something to do with that mediocre score? smile

just to make sure I'm right about this! You're calling Waterworld mediocre?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    just to make sure I'm right about this! You're calling Waterworld mediocre?

Indeed. Explain yourself D! shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm surprised by that comment too, Waterworld is a very good score.

Oh and D, I do like JNH's KING KONG and yes, I'll take more of that over his recent output any day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't like Waterworld at all; at least this is what i remember from those listens so many years back.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    WATERWORLD is my favourite JNH score and one of my alltime favourites in general. I even like the film....I guess you could call it a 'guilty pleasure'.

As for Jane Birkin, she was smokin' hot back in the day. Now she looks kinda 'butch', though. As opposed to, say, Catherine Deneuve, who is still a very attractive woman at age 68!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Demetris wrote
    I don't like Waterworld at all; at least this is what i remember from those listens so many years back.

time to restart listening then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

IMO, one of JNH's best scores and one of the best action scores ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's the score that has EVERYTHING -- the heroic action music, the suspense cues, the religioso underwater music, the glorious ethereal swimming cue, exotic percussion en masse, beautiful love/relationship themes.....I can never tire of it, even though I must have played it more than 100 times over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I will stand with my Greek counterpart. (And that doesn't happen as often as you might think!) smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012
    beer

Nop; went back to it today; sounds even more horrible than it did before.
  4. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that one either, though I like parts of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    beer

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Demetris wrote
    beer

Have you tried listening to it underwater? Maybe that will help.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Different tastes.....oh, what a ridiculous concept! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012 edited
    It would have been Barry's 79th birthday today.

Lets celebrate with the awesome tune from Midnight Cowboy (rerecording with Toots Thielemans)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOkL0aMwZXA

punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012 edited
    Bregt wrote
    It would have been Barry's 79th birthday today.

Lets celebrate with the awesome tune from Midnight Cowboy (rerecording with Toots Thielemans)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOkL0aMwZXA

punk

beer

Oh man, thanks for bringing this to my attention Bregt, I've never heard this before, it's gorgeous and brought a tear to my eye, a sublime version.

I guess you know that Toots plays on the original?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012
    Yup, it's one of my favourite themes of Barry. I like this version a lot too. Stumbled upon it some time ago. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012
    I've gone Barry-crazy lately!

I've always been fond of Barry, not least his Bond-scores, but my Barry-collection has been relatively small until recently.

But back in January, I began reviewing all the Bond-scores for my own website (alas, in Danish), and during the course of listening to the Barry Bonds through the year, I began to get seriously fascinated with Barry and his entire history.

So I've been spending (too much) money, getting a whole lot of stuff (although not nearly enough) - ranging from his 1960s stuff up until the end of his film scoring career - and also some of the stuff he did with the JB7 back in the late 50s and early 60s.

I have to say, even though Barry wasn't new to me, I've been absolutely delighted to truly discover the breadth of his compositional talent. Much of what I knew before this year was constrained to the Bond-scores, his later epic style (particularly Out of Africa and Dances with Wolves) and a few other bits and pieces here and there.

Listening to scores such as The Lion in Winter, The Quiller Memorandum and The Knack have made me appreciate Barry even more. There is so much insanely high quality stuff here! This is really one of the great joys of listening to film music - that even though you may be superficially acquainted with a composer, so often times you discover that there's so much more to be found.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :speechless:

punk beer hug cool
  6. Since you don´t mention it - maybe you know it, but just in case - if you like The Lion in Winter, make sure you check out The Last Valley, too. They complement each other nicely.

Does anyone of the Barry completists out there know of other scores which might belong to the same pack?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Last Valley and Lion In Winter is about it. I guess Mary Queen of Scots belongs on the periphery of those too. Such a shame he didn't get the opportunity to write more in that style, he excelled in historical drama.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Though very different in style I absolutely adore his choral score for WALKABOUT, the Silva rerecording is sublime.
  7. Thanks for the info about Mary. I didn´t mention it because it originally came with the Lion in Winter Rerecording anyway, but I forgot that there´s a complete edition out there. I´ll check it out.

I´m listening to Walkabout right now. I see why you mentioned it. smile

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited
    cool

Intrada's Mary Queen of Scots isn't complete but it's well worth getting. Though it's short at about 30 minutes it's one of my most listened to Barry scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited
    Have you ever heard STAR CRASH? cheesy

THE ICE PLANET / HEADING FOR ZARKON

The main theme is good fun too, the pictures here will give you an idea of how "good" the film is but hey, on the plus side there's the gorgeously stunning Caroline Monroe ( you'll also spot a pre-Baywatch David Hasselhof )

STAR CRASH

It's one of those scores that devides Barry fans, I know a lot that don't like it but I've always had a fond spot for it. Carumba but I was still living with my parents when I first bought this. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Review of some proper film music, Body Heat:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2953

:like:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JOHN BARRY RADIO INTERVIEW

A really good interview with JB talking about the songs and scores for Goldfinger and Thunderball. I love listening to JB, he comes across as a very warm human being.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Review of some proper film music, Body Heat:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2953

Awesome score, very intense experience!