• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Review of some proper film music, Body Heat:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2953

Awesome score, very intense experience!

The film is very good too D. Believe it or not the original choice to score this film was Miklos Rozsa ( Body Heat is kind of a remake of Double Indemnity which Rozsa scored ), if I remember correctly, Rozsa turned it down because he thought the film was smutty, I don't agree at all, the film is very well made and is far farrrrrrrrrrrr classier than the purial Basic Instinct.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    I always thought Basic Instinct was rather overrated, to be honest (it's score on the other hand is not).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited
    From Tony Carty at FSM....

Don’t you just love the BBC? Hardly anything all year then:
    On Friday 14 December the TV channel BBC 4 presents:
    8.10-9.00pm: ‘John Barry: Licence to Thrill’. A special Omnibus arts programme from the year 2000 which gave a profile of the acclaimed composer from Yorkshire who did so much to develop a unique ’Bondian’ style of music. Contributions to the documentary included Bond producer Barbara Broccoli and lyricist and close friend Don Black, among others.
    9.00-10.30pm: ‘James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert’. A special Bond music concert recorded at the Royal Festival Hall in central London, with an orchestra conducted by Carl Davis, and presented and narrated by Honor Blackman.
    10.30-11.30pm: ‘… Sings James Bond’. Rarely seen short performances of some of the James Bond theme songs, uncovered from the BBC’s archives, and taken from a range of BBC shows and programmes from the last 40-50 years. Artists and groups include Matt Munro, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Wings, Sheena Easton, A-ha, Tina Turner and Garbage.
    Meanwhile . . .
    On BBC Radio 2:
    8.00-10.00pm: Friday Night is Music Night – A concert of the music of John Williams
    The concert features the BBC Concert Orchestra under their Principal Conductor, Keith Lockhart who has worked with John and who took over from him as Principal Conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra. They are joined by the choral forces of London Voices who have featured on many of John's film soundtracks including Star Wars and Harry Potter.
    The concert recorded last month at the Watford Colosseum includes music from John's Academy Award winning scores - Jaws; Star Wars; E.T.; and the young violinist Charlie Siem joins the orchestra to perform music from Schindler's List. Also included Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Raiders of the Lost Ark; Empire of the Sun; The Witches of Eastwick; Hook; Jurassic Park; Amistad; Saving Private Ryan; Harry Potter; along with his most recent Oscar nominated scores for Warhorse and Tin Tin.
    So, does anyone recall a line in a song by Flanders and Swann “We’re most gregarious” referring to buses?
    Happy movie listening – Tony Carty
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012
    Southall wrote
    I always thought Basic Instinct was rather overrated, to be honest (it's score on the other hand is not).

Agree on the score, one of JG's greats and now a very iconic sound. The film however is trashy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012
    THE WHISPERERS

Lovely if grim stuff. Film composer John Scott on saxophone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    John Barry on cut & paste Bond theme
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    Johnny Cash sings THUNDERBALL cheesy

Alan, I was wondering if you've checked out any of the "unused" theme songs mentioned in the index in Jon Burlingame's book?
  1. No Tim, I haven't. I am a bit of an OST puritan.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No Tim, I haven't. I am a bit of an OST puritan.

I know you are biggrin

Still, are you not even curious to hear some of these curiosities?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    Duran Duran with John Barry on Good Morning America

Nic Rhodes always looked like he was out of his face during the 80's plus rare footage of Barry talking pre-late 80's near death illness.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! love

FIRST LOVE

Ordered!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Barry was his first looooooove, and it wil be his laaaaast.
    Barry of the futuuuuuu....
    oh...wait. shame cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Barry was his first looooooove, and it wil be his laaaaast.
    Barry of the futuuuuuu....
    oh...wait. shame cry

He, he....

I love that John Miles song, by the way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn = lol

Thor, I never liked that John Miles song except for the upbeat instrumental break with the strings and horns etc.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Martijn = lol

Thor, I never liked that John Miles song except for the upbeat instrumental break with the strings and horns etc.

I'm camping in the "I love this song" camp. And the instrumental bit is definitely the best part of the 5-minute track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn = lol

Really? I like that musical bridge very much too, but I adore the melancholy of the song part even more. The whole thing is very Alan Parsons Project. Then again, I'm very much into 'art rock' ballads of this kind in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

Me too.
    I remember the very first time I heard the song falling right in the middle of that break, and thinking "Whoah! This is REALLY good!"....and then "why is ruining it by singing?!?" biggrin

To this day it's two separate pieces of music in my mind, and I've never been able to listen to that song without getting that feeling of a jarring and slightly uncomfortable transition.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That kind of transition is quite common in this subgenre of prog rock.

There's a similar one in Alan Parsons Projects "Silence and I" and "Ammonia Avenue" -- both some of my alltime favourite songs. Primarily for the melancholy of the first (and last) parts, but also the instrumental, WILD transition bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXbdQ2MwoXY ("Silence and I")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CoIKAweJ9s ("Ammonia Avenue")
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013
    I just had my first listen to "First Love" and was pleasantly surprised as I missed the movie entirely. I will review.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I just had my first listen to "First Love" and was pleasantly surprised as I missed the movie entirely. I will review.
    Tom

Brilliant Tom, i look forward to reading your review of a John Barry score.

To be honest Tom it wouldn't have mattered too much if you'd seen the film as a lot of the score wasn't used and what was there is mixed very low. It was the director Joan Darling who really wanted a John Barry score, the producers had wanted an all pop music soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    Good to know Tim as I do try to make it a point to see the films if possible.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/first-lovebarry/

The John Barry review
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice review Tom beer

....but how weird is it that you have heard a John Barry score that I haven't. dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That is weird Tim. That would be like you hearing a score from Max Steiner that I haven't
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That would be even weirder Tom.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013 edited
    Good interview with legendary JB7 guitarist Vic Flick.

Interview with Vic Flick part 1

Interview with Vic Flick part 2

I didn't know that Vic Flick had played on so many famous recordings outside of the JB7 and John Barry's soundtracks, a bit naive of me I suppose.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013 edited
    JOHN BARRY INTERVIEW FROM 1970

Fascinating. I'm told this is Flemmish? Anyone know better!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013
    MAN IN THE MIDDLE

Quite a Jerry Goldsmith like theme here and very attractive it is too. Having not seen the film I've no idea how much more score there is? I'm presuming the first track is the title theme, the other two tracks in this suite are source cues I believe?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013
    An early 60's ad jingle.

Trendsetter Watches cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    MUSIC OF JOHN BARRY CONCERT