• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I just ordered Lion in Winter insanely cheap on SAE, a sealed copy. I always loved and adored that score, so I will be happy to own it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I just ordered Lion in Winter insanely cheap on SAE, a sealed copy. I always loved and adored that score, so I will be happy to own it.

Which one? The original or Silva Screen's rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The original.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013
    The right choice! cool

The Silva is good and contains extra cues but lacks the power ( and synths, yes, there are subtle synths in the original ) and ambience of the powerhouse original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    The right choice! cool

The Silva is good and contains extra cues but lacks the power ( and synths, yes, there are subtle synths in the original ) and ambience of the powerhouse original.

But the original's sound is a but "muddy" is it not?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've had the score for so long that we've become as one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Lion In Timmer, so to speak.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure Bob Marley would appreciate that cool <-spliff
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

The Timmer in Zion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I suppose one is feeling rather irie, one hasn't even had to partake of a pungent burning herbal remedy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    A pic from the recording sessions of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

http://007museum.files.wordpress.com/20 … _barry.jpg

I find it really difficult to reconcile the score with the dour image of the recording studio.
  4. All those suits! Did they know that they were having their photo taken that day? I suppose that's what they wore back then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Timmer (and everyone else of course),
    this:

Black Hole, The
    Body Heat
    Dances With Wolves
    James Bond 007 - Moonraker
    James Bond 007 - Octopussy
    James Bond 007 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    James Bond 007 - The Living Daylights
    John Barry - The Collection
    John Barry Themology, The Best of
    King Kong
    Lion in Winter, The
    Out of Africa
    Raise the Titanic
    StarCrash

is what I have in my collection from the British maestro. Are there any more unconditional necessities to take care of? I was never the biggest of JB fans, but anyhow, what have I missed so far?

Thanks in advance! smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. 007 - Goldfinger is a must for sure
    I would add any version of The Last Valley to it (and I wonder which one should I buy myself).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    007 - Goldfinger is a must for sure
    I would add any version of The Last Valley to it (and I wonder which one should I buy myself).

It's not often I go against the original but I'd go for the Silva re-recording.

Volker, definitely....

007's:-
    GOLDFINGER ( as Pawel rightly points out )
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER ( a revelation once the expanded came out )
    THUNDERBALL ( suffers slightly from too much 'underwater music' but has some of the best action tracks of the series )
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

Again, as said above THE LAST VALLEY is must have IMO, I also highly recommend MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS, what a criminal shame that Barry never scored more historical fare.

WALKABOUT is a classic, the Silva re-recording is the way to go on this one.

And don't miss out on DEADFALL.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer (and everyone else of course),
    this:

Black Hole, The
    Body Heat
    Dances With Wolves
    James Bond 007 - Moonraker
    James Bond 007 - Octopussy
    James Bond 007 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    James Bond 007 - The Living Daylights
    John Barry - The Collection
    John Barry Themology, The Best of
    King Kong
    Lion in Winter, The
    Out of Africa
    Raise the Titanic
    StarCrash

is what I have in my collection from the British maestro. Are there any more unconditional necessities to take care of? I was never the biggest of JB fans, but anyhow, what have I missed so far?

Thanks in advance! smile

Volker

"Somewhere In Time". I've heard good words repeatedly over "Until September". "Mary, Queen of Scots" is supposedly to be one of his best, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013 edited
    For those interested ( Alan? James? Pawel? Volker? ) a very good and quite in-depth discussion on John Barry' James Bond scores.

https://soundcloud.com/#bafta/john-barr … ta-podcast

Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013
    Thanks, I'll listen to that later on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2013 edited
    Two GIANTS meet
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    A superb piece of groovy 60's John Barry, I've not heard this version of it before....

bhangra THE KNACK chicken
  8. Better safe than sorry, right? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2013
    I've always loved Barry & David's MOONRAKER, a very fine and very underrated Bond song, check this version out...

MOONRAKER

Somebody else say something, c'mon, I dare you....
  9. Pantyhose.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    Another version I've never heard before, this one by actress and showgirl, the oh so sexy Ann-Margaret...

MR KISS KISS BANG BANG
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013
    THE CITY 2000

A great track from the soundtrack for Beat Girl, no less than JOHN SCOTT on flute duty in this 1960 track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013
    On BBC 4 tonight at 11.30pm they are showing Omnibus- John Barry , A Licence to Thrill. Very well worth watching if you missed it before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013 edited
    http://www.rpo.co.uk/event.php?pid=1382

Sounds great! May have to pop down to Portsmouth, although previous experience suggests that I really don't want to pop down to Portsmouth...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    confused dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    confused dizzy

I may have been drinking and may have lost track of the post I was originally attempting to respond to. Pay it no mind. beer