• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013
    biggrin Here's to you Jim, cheers! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013 edited
    Cheers to you too!

It's Saturday! You cannot possibly expect a consistent level of coherency from me today. spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    http://www.rpo.co.uk/event.php?pid=1382

Sounds great! May have to pop down to Portsmouth, although previous experience suggests that I really don't want to pop down to Portsmouth...

I wonder if Steven will go? I know he's not a big fan of Barry but it's not far from him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    It's Saturday! You cannot possibly expect a consistent level of coherency from me today. spin

I'm already well on my way wink Drinking tins at home ( pubs are too bloody expensive to turn up early at slant ) and I'll be off out soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. I Phoned up the box office about the Philip Glass concert here in Bristol 'ticket returns' and was politely told that there was no point in trying because there was a list of over 60 people before me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    It was time to finally correct an oversight on my part with a review of the stunning The Last Valley:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3638
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    :like:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013
    Monty Norman talks about the James Bond theme

Under oath, John Barry said that he had split the notes.........someone is a porky-pier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013 edited
    I'm looking at that score on the YouTube film (good thing they filmed it!) , and except for a phrase here or there I can't for the life of me distill the James Bond theme from it (and yes, I can read music).

I'll have to try on an enlarged screen to see what I missed (if anything), but this seems ...weird.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By the way, apparently THIS is the James Bond theme the producers didn't like.

I keep thinking it's going to change into Elmer Bernstein's MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM.

...even more so in this corking version
  1. Didn't Barry once run a newspaper ad that showed the score Norman handed him and the score of Barry's final theme?
    The comparison showed that Barry took some inspiration from Norman, the basic structure and one or two ideas. It also showed that the majority of those elements that make up the iconic theme came from Barry.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Didn't Barry once run a newspaper ad that showed the score Norman handed him and the score of Barry's final theme?
    The comparison showed that Barry took some inspiration from Norman, the basic structure and one or two ideas. It also showed that the majority of those elements that make up the iconic theme came from Barry.

Volker

JB running a newspaper add? I don't remember anything like that.

( just cos I don't know doesn't mean it might not have happened )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'm looking at that score on the YouTube film (good thing they filmed it!) , and except for a phrase here or there I can't for the life of me distill the James Bond theme from it (and yes, I can read music).

I'll have to try on an enlarged screen to see what I missed (if anything), but this seems ...weird.

Martijn, is this the YT film you're talking of?

I can't read music and am very intrigued.

EDIT: I'm repeating myself rolleyes
  2. No ad!
    What floated through my mind was an atricel the Sunday Times published in 1997. Here Monty Norman's song "Good Sign, Bad Sign" was anaylsed an hold against the "James Bond Theme". The conclusion was that aside from the guitar riff the theme was composed by Barry. Norman sued the Sunday Times susccessfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6EuzGhIyRQ
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Martijn, is this the YT film you're talking of?

I can't read music and am very intrigued.

EDIT: I'm repeating myself rolleyes

Ian McDonald of The John Barry Appreciation Society on FB had this to say...

I telephoned dear old Mont a few months back, and asked him 'who composed the 'orchestration' around the guitar riff'.........he wouldn't answer the question other than to say 'I was attacking his integrity' ...I persevered and he became so agitated ( i kept calm and polite - hard for me!!) that after calling me a FB he put the phone down. Now, what does that tell you.................well, this much: it IS worth contacting him to ask that question and to get an answer, because that is something 'ol Mont clearly does not want to do.
  3. And it was Barry who turned it into a guitar riff.

I would like to hear Barry's 007 theme from OHMSS feature in the next Bond score. Did Arnold use it somewhere? I don't think so ...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    And it was Barry who turned it into a guitar riff.

I would like to hear Barry's 007 theme from OHMSS feature in the next Bond score. Did Arnold use it somewhere? I don't think so ...

Arnold has said he wanted to use it but never found the right moment.

As for the guitar riff, I'm really not sure? There's no doubt that the basis for it is Monty's but it's that whole be-bop thing that is most likely Barry's doing, everything fits with his style at that time and earlier recordings of his point that way.

Legally it's 100% Monty Norman's theme, I've never thought that was true and Monty has no evidence of writing any of that middle section.
  4. A guy I used to chat with who's a Polish authority on all things John Barry told me that the real problem was that Barry was adamant to use the title James Bond Theme for his cue. Is there indeed a possibility that had Barry called his tune differently, he would have NOT had the legal problems with Norman?

Has Arnold ever referred to Barry's 007 Theme BTW? I don't think so, but I haven't listened to any of his stuff for ages.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A guy I used to chat with who's a Polish authority on all things John Barry told me that the real problem was that Barry was adamant to use the title James Bond Theme for his cue. Is there indeed a possibility that had Barry called his tune differently, he would have NOT had the legal problems with Norman?

Sorry but You've lost me here Pawel? I'm not sure what you're saying?
  5. I'm asking whether Norman would make such problems if Barry called his piece differently. That's my former pal's theory.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013
    I think we're having a failure to communicate. Sorry Pawel, but what do you mean 'if Barry called his piece differently'?
  6. Had Barry called the cue "Little Spy's Rocking Blues", Norman would not have made such a fuss.

Yet I don't quite understand that theory. It's about who composed the music not what it is called.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013
    That's what I don't get. The gig for Dr No was given to Monty Norman ( fact! ), Monty Norman's Mr Biswas is the basis for the famous guitar riff ( fact! ), there was problems and the tune was farmed out to John Barry who got paid £250 ( fact! ) to make it work and more than likely did that whole be-bop arrangement, an entire big part of the Bond theme that Monty Norman has never proved is his and gets very defensive when questioned about it.

Barry got paid and had to forego any credit and though he'd hinted many times over the years that he had more than a "little" to do with writing the theme he never boldly stated it which would have ended up with him in court, like I said, he got paid for his services and at that time wouldn't have had the clout that he would later have had.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    I think we're having a failure to communicate. Sorry Pawel, but what do you mean 'if Barry called his piece differently'?

So, what piece was it you were talking about? Perhaps a youtube clip would help you?
  7. I think no matter what the theme was called, Norman would still have sued; even if Barry had named it "Fluffy Kittens Dancing in Flowers" -- the fact is Norman did have a hand in creating it, and it's made him rich. Money will drive anything.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

So, what piece was it you were talking about? Perhaps a youtube clip would help you?

I was saying what Captain, you and Justin protested about. As I said, it wasn't my theory, but one of Polish John Barry experts' (not many of them here).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2013 edited
  9. Timmer wrote

That was the most enlightening thing you said all day! dizzy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013
    FACT!
  10. Timmer's having his period.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.