• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013
    A John Barry vocal from 1957...

THREE LITTLE FISHES

cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited
    A fascinating insight into John Barry's 1960's-70's life, the man was a player....

MY CRAZY DAYS WITH JOHN BARRY, ONE OF THE NAUGHTIEST BOYS OF THE SIXTIES
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Listening to the John Barry show on Classic FM at the moment. I do wish that they would play the original tracks rather than the Silva re-recordings.

The show is turning into a Nic Raine special!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013
    A nice little interview from 1992 from an early morning UK show featuring John Barry and Tim Rice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHO2iVm … ture=share
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the John Barry show on Classic FM at the moment. I do wish that they would play the original tracks rather than the Silva re-recordings.

The show is turning into a Nic Raine special!

You know, out of all those early Prague recordings it's the Barry recordings that were by far the best of the bunch. That might have something to do with Nic Raine's involvement so I don't mind those recordings as much as let's say some of the other sketchy re-recordings the CoPP did during that time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. That's a good point Erik.

I didn't mean to suggest that, by mentioning that they were re-recordings, the Barry re-recordings featured on the show were in some way bad recordings. As you say, they are some of the best CoPP recordings of the period for the orchestra. I was trying to highlight my own preference for original tracks, particularly when the original tracks are so distinctive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I understand, Alan. Good point!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    THIS lady is welcome to come around to my house singing her rendition of MOONRAKER any time she likes lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    She's got a couple of points in her favour.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    She's got a couple of points in her favour.

...said in a Sean Connery accent to work biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    Wow! This is pretty darn GOOD!!!

OHMSS HEAVY METAL cover
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    I've never been the biggest Barry fan (notwithstanding his staggering amount of magnificent compositions), as I simply seldomly connected emotionally with any of his pieces...until I discovered his (non-soundtrack) 'Dance With Reality'.
    I haven't been able to get this out of my head for...wel...ever.
    It pushes every single righ button. It's jazzy, melancholy, it has a musical story of its own, it's a melody that resonates with me, a chord progression that hits the soul...I play this a lot.
    A LOT.

What a fantastic piece.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    Yes - that's a great one. Probably my favourite on the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    Fantastic piece! The video wasn't bad either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    Conversation between John Barry and Henry Mancini...

http://www.johnbarry.org.uk/mancini_barry.php
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2014
    Some brief interview snippets from 1990
  3. Timmer, when it comes to Somewhere in Time, which is the album to own? The original recording or Debney's re-recording? What do you think of the latter in general?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014
    Hi!
    For me, it´s better the original recording. I have the two CDs, and I always listen the original recording (The Debney´s re-recording is good, but the feeling of the music isn´t the same that the Barry recording).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll whisper it quietly....I'm not really a fan of that score.

Still, I have both and would go with the original.
  4. Timmer wrote
    I'll whisper it quietly....I'm not really a fan of that score.

Still, I have both and would go with the original.

Not a fan of the score?!

What is it about it that you don't particularly like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry for giving that impression, I do like it. It's just that a lot of Barry fans rate it far higher than I do, it's a favourite among non-Barry fans and it's helped by it's films (baffling to me) cult following.

As love themes go, JB's Robin & Marian has them all surpassed and is only beaten by Rota's Romeo & Juliet IMO.
  5. I actually quite like the film - and that's probably because of my love for Barry's score. A fabulously romantic theme that's very adaptable to the various scenes in the film in which it features. And when Barry takes the theme and adds that sense of sadness, love lost, etc.?

:that smiley where's there's lots of crying:
  6. OK, then I am going to seek the original release. Would be good to expand my John Barry collection a bit smile Right now I have:

The Lion in Winter
    The Last Valley
    Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The Living Daylights
    Dances with Wolves.

I'd definitely love to have Somewhere in Time. A score I am seriously considering, provided it's available, is King Rat, one of my favourites. I'll have to think of others as well, but as you can see I'm more inclined to get his earlier works rather than post-1990.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014 edited
    All the early Bond's ( no need to get the atrocious Dr No ) and all Barry's 60's scores are brilliant! There was a creative genius at work during this time.

My major non-Bond recommendations are Petulia ( on FSM paired with Alice In Wonderland ), Boom!, The Chase, The Quiller Memorandum, The Ipcress File and Deadfall ( FSM's 2nd release under the title Retrograde Records )

King Rat is still up on Amazon, though I'm sure it can be found cheaper elsewhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I prefer the re-recording of Somewhere in Time (and Out of Africa, for that matter) - just seems a warmer recording to my ears and there's no problem with the performance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    applause
    What a great effort and series of posts, Tim! beer

Sadly this....
    Timmer wrote
    Nancy Sinatra's original soundtrack recording.

# 1 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

...has never been one of my favourite Bond songs.

Nancy sure gives a great vocal performance though.
    I always thought it was a shame she never really got out from under her father's shadow.
    But then again Frank's stature is nigh-mythic, so that would have been a daunting task...if at all possible.

And possibly the very first cover version?

Again by Nancy Sinatra with a more "pop" arrangement
    # 2 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The vocals are still good, but the arrangement is terrible!
    What a mess of instrumentation, arranegement and production.
    What were they thinking? confused

Timmer wrote
    This version is by Ronnie Aldrich and his "two pianos", very much of the shopping centre variety this one...

# 3 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Yes, it's an elevator music/Chinese restaurant variety... but it's an elevator ride I'd take a few times (or I'd order an additional coffee after the Menu A with spring rolls) to be able to listen out the track. smile

This version is by barking pop star Bjork

# 4 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Björk should be quietly put to sleep. angry
    I can't stand her or the out of tune, all over the place random warbling that passes for "stylised "singing"" (MASSIVE quotation marks. It's neither stylish NOR singing in my opinion.)
    The arrangement is nice, though.

For me THIS version is more like it, again it's the Dodd/Arnold arrangement but this time sung by sometimes Arnold collaborater Natacha Atlas
    # 5 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

This is EXCELLENT! applause
    Great re-interpretation. Absolutely superb execution. Atlas nailed this!

A very different version by New York jazz band Sex Mob, I quiite like this just for being that bit different.

# 6 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I love this! biggrin
    Seriously out of the box.
    Fantastic groove and great new vision!
    (Not too keen on the saxophone, but that's a personal preference. This is a track that'd go on my chillax playlist in a heartbeat!)

Timmer wrote
    Roland Shaw and his Orchestra, he fared much MUCH better with his versions of Diamonds Are Forever and Goldfinger but this is a very pleasent arrangement.

# 7 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The instrumental arrangement is nice (but very similar to the original, so few surprises there; the strings are nice though). The vocals however are really, really poor and actually ruin it for me. sad Shame.

The version is by Coldplay

# 8 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Nice! I do like out-of-the-box interpretations, and this one is no exception.
    Not a fan of Coldplay, but this is very likable!
    As far as out-of-the-box thinking goes though, The Sex Mob version still takes the cake punk!

I have no idea who The Quiets are? It sounds The Shadows-ish, either way I don't like this version.

# 9 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

It's a Finnish cover band (indeed taking a broad leaf out of the Shadows' songbook).
    This is OK. "Hank Marvin stylistics" are very on-off for me. At times they work great. Other times, like this, not so much.
    But it's not bad. The tight backing band helps a lot.

Timmer wrote
    The Shirley Bassey-esque vocal is by Julie Rogers.

# 10 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I like the intro on this version FAR better than the original track's...too bad that when it segues into the actual song it falls completely flat. The original blows this out of the water!
    That said, I think Roges is GREAT here, and some of the piano work is VERY cool-jazzy.

I'm pleased to see that all of my above links are still working smile Here are some more cover versions...

# 11 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

This version is by The Ian Rich Orchestra ( no, me neither ), it's quite pleasant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    ...and another

# 12 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

This version by Mantovani has, as you might expect from this artist, the most lush of string arrangements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2014
    Wow, that's a LOT of "You Only Live Twice" smile There were some nice versions and some "interesting" versions smile I thought the Sex Mob version was pretty cool (especially the last 2 minutes), but the Coldplay version really made me want to punch Chris Martin in the face... awful! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2014 edited
    I quite like ( sort of ) Coldplay's version but it's not unreasonable to want to punch Chris Martin in the face biggrin

When he was "consciously coupled" with Gwyneth they were very irritating. mung bean eating weirdos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2014
    It's not that I dislike Coldplay (I actually have one of their albums)... just thought his singing on that particular song was dreadful smile