• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2014
    ...and one from the Queen of all Bond singers

# 13 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I like this and love the jazz arrangement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014
    This interview from around 1986/87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLZPiKrcTU

After near death throat operation he had in 1989, his voice sounds markedly different pre 1990
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    This interview from around 1986/87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLZPiKrcTU

After near death throat operation he had in 1989, his voice sounds markedly different pre 1990

Indeed it does. Hadn't noticed that before.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014 edited
    This is just as appropriate here as in the RIP thread.

John Leach obituary

Thor, I note that Alan Parsons Project is amongst those he's played for. I've no idea which album(s?) it would be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    This is just as appropriate here as in the RIP thread.

John Leach obituary

Thor, I note that Alan Parsons Project is amongst those he's played for. I've no idea which album(s?) it would be?

I'm guessing it's the early albums like TALES OF MYSTERY, I ROBOT and PYRAMID which all feature cembalom quite extensively. But I'm afraid I had never heard of this guy untill now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014 edited
    Here's a far better obituary on the passing of John Leach from the mighty pen of Jon Burlingame....

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_ev … 71414.html

Alan, there's a wonderful bit here about recording what I consider to be one of TV's true genius themes, THE PERSUADERS which I expect you'll find interesting.

In the article Jon mentions that he wrote the theme to long running UK quiz show ASK THE FAMILY but I'm not so sure? No mention of Leach at Wiki or on YT comments??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay, it's cleared up now that Jon just answered my question on FB. It was THIS earlier composition that was used until 19?? when the one I posted above took over from that point.

I remember this one too! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
    I'll be reviewing a new Royal Philharmonic release CD which features the music of John Barry. As you know I do enjoy compilation albums.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not familiar with that release. Wonder what's on it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Midnight Cowboy like you've never heard it...

The Buddy Rich Band
  1. Thanks for the info on The Persuaders. Very interesting and it helps explain why it's so difficult to nail the sound on any re-recording - 4 separate instruments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote

The Buddy Rich Band

Man, jazz is always such a jumble! slant

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Buddy Rich Band

wink Volker

Do you not like Jazz, captain? Jazz covers an incredibly wide range of styles.
  3. I like some big band music from time to time (Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bert Kaempfert, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Max Greger)

Also I like to listen to Jacques Loussier's "Play Bach" albums occasionally.

Apart from that, I'm not into Jazz very much. Thus there are only very few jazzy scores in my collection beyond James Bond.

You can't like everything I guess. They say jazz is all about emotion. To me jazz often seems very intellectual. In music I seek pathos and exaltation.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think jazz can be right up its own arse at times but I often like that kind of stuff too. Al DiMeola and John McCloughlin are exponents of that style. wink I think that would come under the 'intellectual' comment you refer to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I like some big band music from time to time (Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bert Kaempfert, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Max Greger)

Also I like to listen to Jacques Loussier's "Play Bach" albums occasionally.

Apart from that, I'm not into Jazz very much. Thus there are only very few jazzy scores in my collection beyond James Bond.

You can't like everything I guess. They say jazz is all about emotion. To me jazz often seems very intellectual. In music I seek pathos and exaltation.

Volker

You have one of the finest swing/jazz bands on the planet

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/k … -big-band/

Tom
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Buddy Rich Band

wink Volker

Do you not like Jazz, captain? Jazz covers an incredibly wide range of styles.

yeah

I can completely enjoy something like The Incredibles while simultaneously being rather turned off by The Rum Diary, for instance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, saying "jazz is always such a jumble" is like saying "classical is always such a cacophony". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This new John Barry that I'm working on has definitely grown on me.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    New John Barry? Do you have a link to this album you're reviewing Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nothing I could find but my review will be up today with a audio track.
    Tom

Since you have your Ready When You Are JB in front of you who did the orchestrating and arranging? I really like and remember the way he did "Midnight Cowboy" on that album.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was orchestrated, arranged and conducted by John Barry, Tom.

I really like his arrangement of Midnight Cowboy on his Moviola album too, where he replaces the Harmonica with Trumpet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops! Got that wrong. shame

Shows how long ago I listened to it.

Here's the version of MIDNIGHT COWBOY from the Moviola album Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    thanks Tim
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/m … ohn-barry/

Here you go Tim hot off my computer
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/m … ohn-barry/

Here you go Tim hot off my computer
    Tom smile

Thanks Tom

I have seen this advertised before but dismissed it as Nic Raine's recordings with the Prague orchestra repackaged but I see now that it is brand new recordings with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

I'd like to hear it but I won't be rushing because it's the usual suspects as regards the selections. I'm just too familiar.
  5. Regional German TV broadcasted an open air concert tonight from somewhere in Brandenburg. It was a rather eclectic mixture of opera arias and operetta -, musical -, revue- and film songs.

When I zapped into the program I chanced upon a harrowing presentation: Some third class tenor sang to the theme from Dances With Woves, accompanied by a symphonic orchestra (The German Film Orchestra Babelsberg actually) augmented by pop drums. The lyrics were something about "Heroes" I think. I'm not sure because I was busy with coping with that onslaught of terror.
    vomit

Volker

Edit: Found it. Google "Here's to the Heroes". Not for the faint hearted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    I was surprised at the amount of interest if hits mean anything. Now Tim you must go to my website, answer the question so I can see if everything is working correctly and also let me know what you think.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks for responding to my John Barry review. When I say elevator music it isn't derogatory but conjures up to the reader a type of music that they relate to what elevator music sounds like.
    Tom