• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Just awesome! One of my favorite Barry scores.
    But 28 minutes for $18!!! sad

Are you seriously judging the value of the score by how many MINUTES it is?!?

Hah! I have the Silva re-recording of it (with Lion in Winter) and thats about 16 minutes of score. I know I want to get this but it would have been nice if scores under 30 min were priced around $14 or less. Of course I'm not judging the worth of the score (it's tops!) but just this release of it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Just awesome! One of my favorite Barry scores.
    But 28 minutes for $18!!! sad

Are you seriously judging the value of the score by how many MINUTES it is?!?

Hah! I have the Silva re-recording of it (with Lion in Winter) and thats about 16 minutes of score. I know I want to get this but it would have been nice if scores under 30 min were priced around $14 or less. Of course I'm not judging the worth of the score (it's tops!) but just this release of it. wink

It's a great and varied work Bhelpuri, well worth while! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Found this at FSM.

Interview with John Barry from June 9, 2007

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b49jMFKnndQ

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Found this at FSM.

Interview with John Barry from June 9, 2007

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b49jMFKnndQ

-Erik-

This was from BBC 2's The Culture Show.

Nice one for putting it up Erik, good to see the old man in fine fettle cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I've seen that interview before. It's a great one. I couldn't really make out how Barry described Jarvis Cocker's music in the beginning, though. What is he saying?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    No reason, just wanted to see his name up! slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    I'm probably pissing in the wind here but did anyone get the Harkit release of "BOOM!"?

I've heard it's a boot despite it's "official" status.
  1. Timmer wrote
    I'm probably pissing in the wind here but did anyone get the Harkit release of "BOOM!"?

I've heard it's a boot despite it's "official" status.

No I haven't but I too heard that it was a bit dodgy. Hasn't Harkit come in for similar comments with some their other releases?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I can't recall everything, but as I vaguely recall from the FSM thread, the studio who ownsw the score (I think Universal) can't find the masters, so Hakrit's didn't get the masters of the rights.
    And some label wanted to do the score, but since there was no masters... (I think it was Intrada)

And as a user posted at FSM, Hakrit read the threads and threatened legal action. Yeah, that'll get them sales!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    I don't know if everyone knew this, but his last score (Enigma) was performed by a Dutch orchestra (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) and recorded in the Netherlands. Excellent cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Joep wrote
    I don't know if everyone knew this, but his last score (Enigma) was performed by a Dutch orchestra (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) and recorded in the Netherlands. Excellent cool

Yeap! cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    shocked

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6383

Sir Sean never did pull his punches!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    shocked

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6383

Sir Sean never did pull his punches!

Hahahaha! I was reading that wondering why you linked to it and then the sucker punch comes at the end. Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    I lol'd. I don't agree obviously, but I know exactly where he's coming from. I like his no-bullshit attitude.
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Timmer wroteSir Sean never did pull his punches!

indeed, at least when it comes to women shocked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgMLROTqJ0
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there's going to be released a new book by Barry

John Barry - The Man With The Midas Touch
    Whether or not you purchased “John Barry - A life in Music”, ten years ago, you can look forward to a book that has been thoroughly re-written and completely updated. We have spent a lot of time on the picture content and this too has been extensively updated and includes a good selection of rare photos, both colour and black and white.

There are approximately 300 pages including two photo sections of 16 pages each of colour and b & w. In addition to this, a photo introduces each of the thirty chapters, and, of course, the discography has been updated to include everything that’s happened since 1998. It’s a book that does full justice to a glittering career.

We want to emphasise that this project is basically a self-publication in that we have commissioned a publisher to act on our behalf. All the work has been done by a team of dedicated Barry fans, much of it voluntarily.

Therefore, we want to encourage as many as possible to order (and therefore pay for) the book now, even though it won’t be available until October/November. Of course, there will be a discount if you do this – we don’t expect anybody to pay in advance purely for our benefit!

http://johnbarry.org.uk/bab.php
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    I have the first edition. Very well informed by Barry experts Geoff Leonard etc. Lots of superb high quality photos, a fine coffee table book.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    JOHN BARRY's score to THE WRONG BOX is being released on Harkiit records.

A straight LP to CD transfr.

Not sure about the licence issues?
  3. Whether they got this one legal or not, threatening people over there posts at message boards, should disqaulify them from our money. At least I would hope it does.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Whether they got this one legal or not, threatening people over there posts at message boards, should disqaulify them from our money. At least I would hope it does.

confused

Where is this Justin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard The Wrong Box (or indeed Boom, which I think they released recently as well) so I may buy this even though there are obvious questions over its legitimacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Whether they got this one legal or not, threatening people over there posts at message boards, should disqaulify them from our money. At least I would hope it does.

confused

Where is this Justin?

Where else? fsm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

confused

Where is this Justin?

Where else? fsm

Ahh I see! I got that Wrong Box info from an FSM thread but didn't read all the way through it, I'll have a look devil
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I've never heard The Wrong Box (or indeed Boom, which I think they released recently as well) so I may buy this even though there are obvious questions over its legitimacy.

Both are damn fine Barry scores James. Boom in particular has that great creative feel of his 60's work, a very dark and brooding score. I heard it described once as "orchestrally psychedelic", now I wouldn't go that far but it's certainly strangely ethereal.

It's the only way to get em so buy it and be damned! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James wave

I mentioned this on the NP thread but you may have missed it. You can get BOOM at Zavii in town.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Really? How unexpected! In that case, I will!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Yeah, I thought it was odd too!? There were two copies and I think the price was £14.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was wondering if anyone here has seen either "BOOM!" or THE WRONG BOX?

I've seen The Wrong Box, but so long ago I barely remember it except that it had a huge cast of famous people ( mainly British ).

Boom starred Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton and I've heard that it's laughably terrible. Barry was a late replacement score for Johnny Dankworth, Dankworth's song sung by Georgie Fame is the only part that remains on the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote

If you do get it James could you let me know what the quality is like?

A friend from FSM did me a CDR copy of BOOM years ago and it's a very good LP to CD transfer complete with artwork ( from the old LP which is different to the Harkit release artwork ), I'd like to know it's very good before splashing out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

If you do get it James could you let me know what the quality is like?

A friend from FSM did me a CDR copy of BOOM years ago and it's a very good LP to CD transfer complete with artwork ( from the old LP which is different to the Harkit release artwork ), I'd like to know it's very good before splashing out.

Did you pick up BOOM James??