• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    Thanks to John Barry Group

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhMJrt2UAU

An interview from 1992.

Enjoy smile

Go to the right in related videos for Part 2
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Really? How unexpected! In that case, I will!

If you do get it James could you let me know what the quality is like?

A friend from FSM did me a CDR copy of BOOM years ago and it's a very good LP to CD transfer complete with artwork ( from the old LP which is different to the Harkit release artwork ), I'd like to know it's very good before splashing out.

Did you pick up BOOM James??

Not yet, no... would you believe the last time I was in Bristol centre was at the Maintitles gathering?!

I'll be there tomorrow, but only passing through on my way to Ashton Gate (of all places) for a people management course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Really? How unexpected! In that case, I will!

If you do get it James could you let me know what the quality is like?

A friend from FSM did me a CDR copy of BOOM years ago and it's a very good LP to CD transfer complete with artwork ( from the old LP which is different to the Harkit release artwork ), I'd like to know it's very good before splashing out.

Did you pick up BOOM James??

Not yet, no... would you believe the last time I was in Bristol centre was at the Maintitles gathering?!

I'll be there tomorrow, but only passing through on my way to Ashton Gate (of all places) for a people management course.

Sorting out Bristol City FC eh? Go James punk wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Playing lots of James Bond music on BBC Radio 2 this Sunday.

I think there is also an interview with David Arnold? I'll try and find out more.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    This interview fom Variety. Thanks to a poster at FSM smile

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 3&cs=1

Enjoy.
  1. From Wikipedia:

John Barry, OBE (born John Barry Prendergast on 3 November 1933 in York, England)

Happy 75th birthday, sir! beer

I guess I have to end the night with some Bond scores, then. cool
  2. Happy Birthday, Mr. Barry!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    A happy 75th birthday to my very favourite film composer beer

I wonder how he'll be spending today?

I'm very much looking forward to his "Seasons" album........whenever he finishes it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    Happy B-day Mr. Barry!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008 edited
    Here is the full-page ad from Kraft-Engel Management that ran in Variety on Monday

http://www.findingkraftland.com/images/ … ariety.jpg
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    Buysoundtrax has released Barry's Starcrash

Previously released on compact disc by Silva Screen Records but out of circulation for many years, BUYSOUNDTRAX Records presents the original motion picture soundtrack to STARCRASH, featuring music composed and conducted by John Barry, newly remastered by Digital Outland, reprising the original program of the previous compact disc release and including a special suite of music from the film. STARCRASH is a limited edition release of 1500 units.

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/storsobyjoba.html
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5986/.f
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Buysoundtrax has released Barry's Starcrash

Previously released on compact disc by Silva Screen Records but out of circulation for many years, BUYSOUNDTRAX Records presents the original motion picture soundtrack to STARCRASH, featuring music composed and conducted by John Barry, newly remastered by Digital Outland, reprising the original program of the previous compact disc release and including a special suite of music from the film. STARCRASH is a limited edition release of 1500 units.

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/storsobyjoba.html
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5986/.f

cool

The film is hilarious but it's a damn good Bond'ish score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Never have seen Starcrash. I really feel like I should. Will have to dig out the old Silva Screen release of it (with its extremely unusual pairing with Until September!) later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Congrats. I was playing The Lion in Winter in the car this morning. cool
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Congrats. I was playing The Lion in Winter in the car this morning. cool

Starcrash is nowhere near that league!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - because it's the best
    2. Goldfinger - because it's the brightest (before Barry brought in the moody stuff)
    3. From Russia With Love - because...I don't know why. I just like parts of it.

With the exception of Bond, I tend only to buy soundtracks when the music jumps out at me and grabs me. The composer is of secondary, possibly tertiary importance to me. (Sacrilege, I know.)

I don't actually own any non-Bond Barry soundtracks (other than this curious thing called The Last Valley which one of Timmer's posts convinced me to buy). I found the music in Somewhere in Time to be very fitting and somewhat notable, but not it is not the type of music I purchase for repeated outside listening. Ditto Dances With Wolves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Starcrash is one of my top favourite Barry scores and I'm overjoyed to see it given a new presentation, but I don't think I shall be getting it. No need. I compared track-by-track with the existing Starcrash/Until September release and the only extra music is the 7-minute suite, which I have anyways on the Black Hole/Howard the Duck boot.

Sounds like an awesome way to save $15 to me. But anyone who doesn't have Starcrash yet, get it now!!!!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Starcrash is one of my top favourite Barry scores and I'm overjoyed to see it given a new presentation, but I don't think I shall be getting it. No need. I compared track-by-track with the existing Starcrash/Until September release and the only extra music is the 7-minute suite, which I have anyways on the Black Hole/Howard the Duck boot.

Sounds like an awesome way to save $15 to me. But anyone who doesn't have Starcrash yet, get it now!!!!

Totally agree with you JF beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    New from Prometheus: Robin and Marian

Original tracks (in mono).
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    New from Prometheus: Robin and Marian

Original tracks (in mono).

I am not familiar with this score: is it good? I only know a suite from a Silva compilation. And I also wonder if the origonal in mono is better than the Silva re-recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I must admit, I'm happy with the Silva album. They generally do Barry very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Although I prefer original tracks, I shall not spend on this new release of the same material, just as I passed on the Intrada Last Valley.

And Keky, this is a wonderful score, full of Barry's romanticism. Innocent, beautiful yet sad and aching a little. Much like Williams' Anakin and Padmé theme. If you've heard a suite then you've likely heard the main theme. If not, check clip #9 in my "Guess Yonder Score" game from a few weeks ago.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I forgot to say that! I agree with JF about the quality of the music. It's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    I am one of a few I guess who bought the lp of Robin and Marian. The Barry completist will have an interest.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listened to the Silva recording earlier. The score is rather repetitive but it's a good one. The Prague performance is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This recording was the original soundtrack. I have the 6th one down in green.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=8734

forgot the link
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    This recording was the original soundtrack. I have the 6th one down in green.

If it was the same as the one I have it's on the "sherwood" label Tom. ( "Sherwood".....Sheeessh! rolleyes )
  3. Just watched You Only Live Twice for the 3rd/4th time. The Wedding theme is amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just watched You Only Live Twice for the 3rd/4th time. The Wedding theme is amazing.

The whole score is fantastic, I wish they hadn't done a cut/paste with the Bond theme in the 'Little Nellie' sequence.