• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    John Barry will be picking up the Max Steiner Life Acchievement award in Vienna on October 14th. A concert is being held too, Hollywood In Vienna
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    It's based on traditional Zulu music. The theme re-appears in the score to Cry The Beloved Country, a damn fine score which I think you'd enjoy a lot.

p.s. I'd rather friends just called me Tim.

Maybe I should get rid of the 'mer' bit?

Will do so beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry will be picking up the Max Steiner Life Acchievement award in Vienna on October 14th. A concert is being held too, Hollywood In Vienna

Nice! Is there a link too? I want to post it in the scoremagacine's news section.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There must be somewhere? I got that info from the John Barry e-groups.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, will look it up!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    RIGHT HERE
  1. Tim, I have the Silva re-recording of the Zulu tracks and I was interested to hear your comments on how this compares with the original tracks.

Looking at the soundtrackcollector.com entry I see that there are couple of tracks featuring narration by Richard Burton. Does this add or detract from these two tracks?

And are the tracks that would have been on the B-side of the LP source cues?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The tracks on the B-side of the LP were traditional Zulu tunes given a pop treatment by Barry, for the discerning listener only though there was one particular track that I really liked.

Burton's narration is only at the end of the first track and the last track and works well in context, I like it.

IMO nothing beats the original score. Silva's recording is good but just doesn't have the power of the Barry original.
  2. Cheers, Tim. I may just download the "essential tracks" from this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    I don't blame you. I only own them as presented on the old LP.

EDIT :

Just looked on my CD which combines the score Four In The Morning and it does include the 'Zulu Stomps'....I always skip that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    Originals are the best!
    Even "Body Heat"
    wink
    What would the world be like without Music...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do like Joel McNeely and the LSO recording of Body Heat. The CD of the original score goes for silly money, I'd nearly guarantee that it'll get a 'legit' CD release one day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    I sure hope so. Even though I have the LP and a CDR copy of the CD, I'd buy it.
    smile
  3. Timmer wrote
    ...I'd nearly guarantee that it'll get a 'legit' CD release one day.

Then I might just hold off for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Tim will possibly disagree, but I think the McNeely recording is vastly superior. The original recording is horrible. It might just be the mixing of the album (and so could be fixed if re-released) but there is no clarity at all, important instrumental parts are buried away and barely audible - it sounds like a bootleg recording to be honest. The re-recording on the other hand is very faithful - and sounds a whole lot better.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I got a bot confused between Zulu and Body Heat. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    I never thought Mike's Murder would ever get released. Not one of my favorites but I'm still hooked on Barry... Got to have them all!
    cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't remember all the details James but there was some argument over the legality of the original release and from what I remember JB wasn't pleased with it's release either, I've also heard about the sound mix being substandard.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading all this somewhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    James?
    confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Southall smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    Just trying to tie the comment to the right post.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cool Greg, you'll get used to it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    James Southall smile

Not BOND?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    RIGHT HERE

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    James Southall smile

Not BOND?

Southall...James Southall....

hmmmm? Not quite the same ring eh!?? cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009 edited
    Hey James wave

Did you ever bother to pick up the Harkit release of BOOM? If not I saw it going for £5 brand new.

It's in a 'new' ( at least it is to me ) store on Clifton triangle a door or two away from BORDERS. There's quite a reasonably sized soundtrack collection which, oddly enough, included FSM's Alfred Newman score The Prisoner of Zenda.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    I did get Boom, yes thanks. It annoyed me that I was paying for a bootleg, but still - didn't see any other way I was going to get my hands on the music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What is the sound quality like on BOOM? I've had a good boot of it for years, I'm presuming the Harkit album is just taken from the LP?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. I doubt it's any better than the boot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    According to a poster at FSM Barry's non-film score album from 1976, AMERICANS is getting released by Universal Jazz France on November 9th.

If true ( I see no reason why not? ) this is FANTASTIC news! One of my very favourite albums by the composer. cool