• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Agreed, it comes from the heart, since that man has touched yours so many times. Kudos to you James.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    Here's my obituary:

http://montages.no/2011/01/john-barry-1933-2011/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James, from your tribute:

I noticed this here:

He even took to releasing soundtrack-like music on a couple of concept albums – it seemed he wanted to write, but couldn’t find films to score. Truly sad.

Which albums are these? And how are they like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Beyondness of Things and Eternal Echoes. Beyondness is pure bliss for a Barry fan. Echoes is pretty good too, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting, never heard those. Thanks a lot.
  2. I wrote a kind of Barry obituary myself, for my blog. You can read it here.

RIP Mr. Barry!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting, never heard those. Thanks a lot.

There's a persistent rumor that a great deal of The Beyondness of Things is actually his rejected score for The Horse Whisperer; either way, it's sheer brilliance. One of my all-time favorite Barry works, and I've heard virtually all of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    I've heard that too. Of course, it doesn't matter one bit. Either way we have the music, which is sublime .

Today I have binged on a whole array of Barry material from every decade he worked in and feel as though I've paid as great a tribute to the man as I could, on the day of his passing. It's been a little sad but I've seen today as more of a celebration of his life and career. The man was a legend.

cool beer
  4. Listening to all that music as a celebration is a fitting tribute.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn

5. He even took to releasing soundtrack-like music on a couple of concept albums – it seemed he wanted to write, but couldn’t find films to score. Truly sad.

It's not that he wasn't being offered, it's just that he was offered crap ("Crossing Over"), was put into situations of mimicing himself and didn't want to ("The Incredibles" -- he recorded, with orchestra, a few demo cues, by the way...), or just getting replaced ("Finding Neverland").

And he was working opn his last orchestral concept album; I don't think he finished before he passed away. I suspect he thought he would stick around a bit longer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    I know he was offered some films, but he obviously didn't want to do them, for whatever reason. They weren't all crap (eg The Cooler was a decent film which could have had a very fine Barry score - as it turned out, it received a very fine Isham one - and The Incredibles obviously could have been wonderful, but he either wouldn't or couldn't provide the style which was wanted). Rumour has it that he said a few choice words to Harvey Weinstein on one film and Weinstein did his best to make sure he wasn't hired for a major film again (it was Playing By Heart, I think).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HOWARD SHORE pays tribute
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

"Not available in my area".

Nice of him, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    Not available for me either. I think it's my colour, or me being an European citizen.
    Kazoo
  6. I gave up after a few minutes. The interviewer spent time talking over Barry's music tribute then started to ask silly questions, trying to elicit comments from Shore on Barry living in New York and whether Shore felt Barry was still a Yorkshire lad although he lived in the US.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I've just not been following the news in the last few days. I learned about Barry's demise last night. Farewell Mr Barry, and thanks for all the great music. He shall always remain one of my favorite composers. He leaves us with a rich legacy.

Tim, I hope you're doing ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I gave up after a few minutes. The interviewer spent time talking over Barry's music tribute then started to ask silly questions, trying to elicit comments from Shore on Barry living in New York and whether Shore felt Barry was still a Yorkshire lad although he lived in the US.

Yeah, that seemed quite tasteless to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Los Angeles Times made asses of themselves with their obituary by posting a picture of John Barry the production designer on their front page...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Los Angeles Times made asses of themselves with their obituary by posting a picture of John Barry the production designer on their front page...

face-palm-mt
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, read about it. Ridiculous and disgusting really.
  8. May be a bit illogical but I did think of all places to get it wrong, Los Angeles!
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Los Angeles Times made asses of themselves with their obituary by posting a picture of John Barry the production designer on their front page...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. rolleyes

So the day John Williams dies they'll most likely post a picture of the guitarist.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

Most famous for his work on STAR WARS........died in 1979. Idiots!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. rolleyes

So the day John Williams dies they'll most likely post a picture of the guitarist.

Or even the Snooker referee. shocked cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    I've just not been following the news in the last few days. I learned about Barry's demise last night. Farewell Mr Barry, and thanks for all the great music. He shall always remain one of my favorite composers. He leaves us with a rich legacy.

Tim, I hope you're doing ok.

I'm fine thanks but it still hasn't really sunk in yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry

Alway has been a very fine listen! Now it's very special indeed! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    And yes I realize it's kinda the wrong thread for "now playing". But it is Barry after all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nuno Malo, the composer of the beautiful MovieScore Media-released "AMALIA", composed a theme "morning star" in homage to the memory of John Barry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-QNU_ZpH4
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nuno Malo, the composer of the beautiful MovieScore Media-released "AMALIA", composed a theme "morning star" in homage to the memory of John Barry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-QNU_ZpH4

What a lovely piece, very heartfelt. A fine tribute.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I gave up after a few minutes. The interviewer spent time talking over Barry's music tribute then started to ask silly questions, trying to elicit comments from Shore on Barry living in New York and whether Shore felt Barry was still a Yorkshire lad although he lived in the US.

I can understand that, terrible interviewer with not very well thought out questions, Shore deals with it as best he can, I liked what he said, he obviously has massive respect for Barry and also has great knowledge of his music and seems to be particularly taken by John's 1976 non-score album AMERICANS.