• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016
    I thought you'd have known that Martijn, that's old news. I love Dances and wouldn't have it any other way but still, it's basil and yes, I'd love to have heard that too, it would have certainly elevated his standing being attached to a multiple Oscar winning film and led to more lucrative assignments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's quite a sad write-up about it in the liner notes for Flight of the Navigator, the film Basil had to quit Dances for. He did it out of loyalty to John Milius even though he knew Dances With Wolves could have transformed his life, and the sad thing was that the Milius film was delayed and so he could have done Dances after all.

(Having said that - the Barry score is just sublime and I wouldn't change it for anything.)
  1. Thanks for sharing, Timmer!
  2. Basil wasn't the only one to be attached to DWW. So was Peter Buffet:

In his 2010 book, Buffet explains Costner asked him if he would want to score the film, but Buffet elaborates he didn't actually know how to score and didn't know any of the basics, and contacted some composers/orchestrators for a crash course, but the studio nixed him; the "Firedance" cue in the film, on the two Barry score CD's, is a piece writen for the film afterwards, at Costner's behest (which Barry did not want on the CD).

(http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/supp … ected.html)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't want it on the CD either!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But Barry also worked with Buffett on The Scarlet Letter, so he can't have been that unhappy about it.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016
    A question for the Barry experts here, regarding Zulu: I own the Silva Screen re-recording from 1999. How does that hold up - quality-wise - compared to the original recording?

Also, is the Silva Screen re-recording complete or are there missing cues?
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Going by memory I think there's about 3 extra minutes on Silva's rerecording and I believe it's the complete score, it's a fine recording but it doesn't beat the power of JB's original IMO. To be honest I recommend both.

Good to see you back posting Mogens beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    Going by memory I think there's about 3 extra minutes on Silva's rerecording and I believe it's the complete score, it's a fine recording but it doesn't beat the power of JB's original IMO. To be honest I recommend both.

Cool! Thanks Timmer. I'll keep my eyes open for the original recording, although a quick search only seems to produce hits about the re-recording. Having never heard the original recording (nor seen the film), of course I can't speak of the quality of the re-recording per se, but I love the score. There are some lovely passages for woodwinds that really speak volumes about Barry's skills even so relatively early in his career.

And this only four years later than Beat Girl (which, I should say, I really love, too. But what a difference!).

Good to see you back posting Mogens beer

Thanks Timmer beer My absence hasn't really been for any other reason than being ridiculously busy with having a family and work, work, work... My god, having kids drains your energy. I find myself looking at the watch at 8.30 PM and wondering when it's ok to go to bed. biggrin

That said, I do hope to become more active on the forum again. I miss all these discussions and I still listen to lots of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    hug beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Mogens wrote
    That said, I do hope to become more active on the forum again. I miss all these discussions and I still listen to lots of film music.

Good.
    You may need to practise your English after all that Danish malarkey. angry

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Mogens wrote

Good.
    You may need to practise your English after all that Danish malarkey. angry

wink

Yes, my English has been deteriorating in the absence of your kind tutelage, my good sir. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Review of Jagged Edge:

http://www.movie-wave.net/jagged-edge/

Good review James, pretty much agree. I bought this new release having missed it first time round, haven't played it yet, I have to be in the right mood.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016
    I was tentatively hoping for original complete Mary, Queen of Scots or the sublime The Last Valley...

DAY OF THE LOCUST

As a Barry sucker I will of course be buying.
  3. In the Pretty Damn Cool department...

Hey folks,

Some of you may know that John Barry was attached to the 1981 film The Bunker, but the film appeared with a synthesized score by Brad Fiedel.

Well, with a nod to Phil Richmond who found it, a version has appeared on YouTube which, despite carrying the Fiedel credit, appears to be the version with Barry's original score.

Check that end title out!

https://youtu.be/PIFdkPh7IdQ?t=8575

Cheers
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017 edited
    This short 15 minute disturbing film starring Gary Sinise and Elijah Wood was recently posted on YT with a synthesised dark sounding John Barry score...

The Witness
  4. An upcoming Blu-ray disc with an isolated score:
    http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_de … ROOM-1962/