• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007
    Composer topic now in the correct place.

Thankyou Martijn beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007
    I'm a huge fan.
    I love his Peter Pan.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    I'm a huge fan.
    I love his Peter Pan.

....and I thought it was Jaberwocky?.....geeeezzzz!!!.....keep changing yer mind dontcha? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    I can't find the NP spot so....

NP : THE KNACK - JOHN BARRY

Groovy as fuck! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In fact, any time I'm playing anything Barry it's going to be here tongue cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    .....keep changing yer mind dontcha? rolleyes

Nope, just referencing the wrong J. Barrie... tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    .....keep changing yer mind dontcha? rolleyes

Nope, just referencing the wrong J. Barrie... tongue

Quit bustin my ribs rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Heeheeheehee
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Heeheeheehee

haha bloody ha! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - JOHN BARRY

Bloody brilliant! punk

I believe Barry has two upcoming works for release? I trust any information will be reported here cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    In fact, any time I'm playing anything Barry it's going to be here tongue cool

WPE : DUTCHMAN - John Barry

Ever heard this Martijn? Doom laden, menacing and sinister....could be your theme!? wink

Re : Was Playing Earlier
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never heard it, but it's Barry, so I'll hate it.

wink

That said I've just ordered You Only Live Twice.
    There was a Guess The Score challenge (not sure who hosted it, I think it may have been Peter) featuring a track from this score that really struck me...and I was seriously surprised to hear it was from a Bond score, no less a Barry one!

So you see, even for the heretic there's hope. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Never heard it, but it's Barry, so I'll hate it.

wink

That said I've just ordered You Only Live Twice.
    There was a Guess The Score challenge (not sure who hosted it, I think it may have been Peter) featuring a track from this score that really struck me...and I was seriously surprised to hear it was from a Bond score, no less a Barry one!

So you see, even for the heretic there's hope. smile

Well, you have more Barry in your collection than any friend I personally know? cool

Dutchman is a bit of an oddity, there was never a soundtrack release because, I believe, never having seen the film, the theme just bookends the film which has no underscore. The theme was rerecorded by Barry for a 1960's compilation......very good it is too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Martijn,

I'd love to know what you think of YOLT after you play it!? Hopefully there's enough great tracks for it to be worthwhile?

I doubt I need tell you what my opinion is? cheesy
  1. The Lion In Winter has to be my favorite John Barry score of all time. I loved it so much that I almost felt I should have paid more than $8 bucks for it. It's a pretty good movie too.

Favorite Bond scores have to be Goldfinger, followed by On Her Majesty's Secret Service and then You Only Live Twice. Maybe Moonraker and Diamonds Are Forever depending upon my mood.

Out of Africa, Somewhere In Time, and Dances With Wolves are some of the best romance scores I've ever heard. I say that for Dances With Wolves because he makes you fall in love with the great plains and spirit of the west.

Was never really able to get into Born Free though.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
  2. John Barry's TV theme for The Persuaders is in my Top 5 TV themes of all time - and when I'm listening to it it's right at the top.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    John Barry's TV theme for The Persuaders is in my Top 5 TV themes of all time - and when I'm listening to it it's right at the top.

Abso-friggin-lutely! punk
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Received Barry's Somewhere In Time last week.

Although there aren't many cues on the CD, it's beautiful stuff.

By the way, The Lion In Winter is Barry's own personal favourite. He visits Yorkshire fairly regularly to see family, so if you want to impress him talk about that and NOT about the Bond scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    djdave wrote

By the way, The Lion In Winter is Barry's own personal favourite. He visits Yorkshire fairly regularly to see family, so if you want to impress him talk about that and NOT about the Bond scores.

You must have the original then Dave and not the 19 track Varese re-recorded version.

As to Barry not wanting to talk Bond? Well, who can blame him, he's done so many more scores than just Bond!

I remember a time when Christopher Lee got pretty peeved because everyone only remembered him as Dracula ( and visually there's never been better ), I wonder if he now get's peeved over Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings geeks? cheesy
  3. Timmer wrote
    djdave wrote

You must have the original then Dave and not the 19 track Varese re-recorded version.

If I had to choose between the 9-track MCA Records OST and the Varese re-recording I think I'd have to go for the OST purely on the basis of the cue, "Old Woman". I much prefer the version as heard on the OST CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. It´s another John´s turn: Please name your TOP THREE John Barry scores, not more, not less, and please use a ranking from 1st to 3rd place. I´ll make a list of all entries.

1st place: The Last Valley
    2nd place: Dances with Wolves
    3rd place: The Black Hole
  5. 1. The Lion in Winter
    2. Dances with Wolves
    3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. 1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. The Last Valley
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Awwwww no I was dreading this sad

Barry is my favourite film composer so I'll be back after a good thinking session?!? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. The Last Valley
    3. Somewhere In Time
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    1. Dances With Wolves
    2. OHMSS
    3. The Last Valley

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    First Update:

1st place: On Her Majesty´s Secret Service 9 points
    2nd place: Dances with Wolves / The Last Valley 7 points each

The Lion in Winter 3 points
    The Living Daylights 2 points
    The Black Hole / Somewhere in Time 1 point each
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't think I'm qualified to make a list in this one...
    I am extremely serious.
  7. 1. You Only Live Twice
    2. Goldfinger
    3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    I don't think I'm qualified to make a list in this one...

No you're not! begone thunderer. tongue wink