• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    This was an awesome thread on Score Reviews and I am adamant it's started again. Some people posted some hilarious comments. I can't remember them all, but some of the funniest were:

- Only a film music fan looks out for the composers name at the end of a trailer.

- Only a film music fan would stay throughout the entire credits of a Media Ventures film to see who actually scored it.

- Only a film music fan would say or point out the composers name for every trailer they see at the cinema with friends, despite the fact no one else cares.

I can't remember any more, keep 'em coming! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008 edited
    "- Only a film music fan looks out for the composers name at the end of a trailer."

.....and cheers; yeap, that's me; and i force my accompaniment to cheer along with me; shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "- Only a film music fan would say or point out the composers name for every trailer they see at the cinema"

...........even BEFORE it is actually shown on screen.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    - Only a film music fan says the composers name if they hear music they know in a trailer. Still no one around you knows what you're on about. tongue
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    read this thread!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    "- Only a film music fan would say or point out the composers name for every trailer they see at the cinema"

...........even BEFORE it is actually shown on screen.

Oppsss!That's me too!And my boyfriend has developed a "ok love don't get overexcited" look everytime we watch a new trailer. shame
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008 edited
    hehe i know! My case is getting worse you know, for the entire last month i've been quietly (sometimes NOT so quietly :P ) cheering when composer names are coming up in the theater! shame shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well, I know what you mean!Imagine me during the film saying things like "baby,listen to this wonderful theme" and "oh, here comes the variation now" and "I want this score tomorrow!" and this kinds of things!
    By the way, I missed you talking to me! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know sweety, i am in Cyprus for the presidential elections, i will send you an extensive p.m asap! xxxx
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know sweety, i am in Cyprus for the presidential elections, i will send you an extensive p.m asap! xxxx

Hey, you never talk like that to me! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, I heard it on the news the elections are today! You did your civilian duty already? You must do your part!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I did, it's obligatory. But i am deeply disappointed by the results....oh well slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

...if he did you'd be scared.....very scared! shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm the only one in my family (and maybe my school) who knows each and every movie by its composer instead of its director! And whenever a particularly good piece of score pops up, I whisper "Whoa, I want that cue". Even my parents find that strange sometimes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Only a film score fan glows with pride when the composers name is in huge font on the theatre screen in the opening titles, almost as if the composer is someone we know personally!!
    dizzy

Anyone else feels like that?? I cannot help but smile and think 'Yeah, that's my Hans' or something stupid like that!
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregje wrote
    Only a film score fan glows with pride when the composers name is in huge font on the theatre screen in the opening titles, almost as if the composer is someone we know personally!!
    dizzy

Anyone else feels like that?? I cannot help but smile and think 'Yeah, that's my Hans' or something stupid like that!
    biggrin

Amen to that biggrin As I mentioned, I knew films by the composer rather than director for many years! I remember in tenth grade when my Grammar teacher asked me who directed The Lord of The Rings trilogy (for a film review practice session) I replied... "I don't remember, but Howard Shore scored it". Out here that will be counted as a pretty weird statement as hardly anyone pays attention to a film's score, let alone knowing the name of composers. I doubt they know how to spell "John Williams" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote

Of course, and the feeling is better when the name of the composer appears when the music is played out loud. wink

Only a film score fan can recognise a movie just by listening to some notes of the score (not even a theme, just 4 or 5 notes). Of course no need to be in front of the TV, you may be far from it.
    This happened to me the other day; I arrived home and listened some notes of the piano theme of "The House of the Spirits". "That´s my Hans (or my Nick Glennie-Smith biggrin )", I thought punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Only a film music fan smiles when the composer does something interesting with the music (i.e a fanfare) when their name appears in the credits. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I literally get goosebumps whenever composer names pop up in credits and titles at the cinema; and i harass whoever is with me at the time. I am sick! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

...if he did you'd be scared.....very scared! shocked wink

True. But at least I'd feel special. biggrin

Selected Themes (Promo/bootleg (?)) | Alan Silvestri

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I literally get goosebumps whenever composer names pop up in credits and titles at the cinema; and i harass whoever is with me at the time. I am sick! shame

I've got my flatmates doing that to some degree now. Usually something along the lines of: "Hey, I know that composer! It's him innit!?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i got my sweety to do that stuff. She's way cool as she came up with a way of remembering who's who mainly by recognizing the RC composers using a very cool way (see below). From that point onwards, she connects dots and names in her mind and comes up with various correct guesses and associations further on!

I'll give you an example: last week we got to the cinema to watch GONE BABY GONE. When the opening titles came up and HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS' name showed up, she instantly asked me:

"Isn't him a Zimmer's minion?

And i didn't say anything else, i just giggled biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Amen brother you did it! punk You passed on the virus!!!
    I have gone a step further!He now asks me to give him the scores of the films we watch together! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I did something like that too but shhhhhhh it's still a surprise wink

Gone baby gone is a wonderful film btw. I appreciated the score as well even before i watched the film but now that i have done that as well, my appreciation has risen further. It's a very mature and fitting musical work, bravo to Harry.
  1. Yeah, I started the thread, as I recall, after a member used the word "scoregasm" in a thread. And I said only a score fan would use that word. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    Hehe indeed. I don't think anyone would ever use that.....word if he / she weren't a film score nut! "Scoregasm"!
  2. Ok, so I don't know if this is too geeky or what but...

"Only a film music fan would clap loudly while sitting in the movie theater, when the 'music by' comes up on the screen with a favorite composer's name attached to it."

I've been known to do this a few times. I think I might have even whooped and hollered once even. I just think my enthusiasm gets the better of me sometimes. smile
    Anyone else? *hopes there are others just like her so she's not embarrassed*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've been known to do this a few times. I think I might have even whooped and hollered once even. I just think my enthusiasm gets the better of me sometimes. smile
    Anyone else? *hopes there are others just like her so she's not embarrassed*

Nope, you're not the only one biggrin and that's nothing to be embarassed about. I really did that in the theater when James Newton Howard's name came up in the credits in the movie "Dinosaur". The music played during the this portion of the credits (a reprise of "The Egg Travels") sounded truly awesome in surround sound in the hall!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    Only a film music fan gets angry when some hack has put a "2-for-1" sticker on the DVD cover just so that it covers the composer's credit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hehe indeed. I don't think anyone would ever use that.....word if he / she weren't a film score nut! "Scoregasm"!

Hehe, I used that word towards a friend once. biggrin He loves a filmscore occasionally; he loves Donnie Darko and Thin Red Line, but also Toccata & Dreamscapes from Goldenthals Final Fantasy and some big choral pieces, so I thought it was worth a shot to play CheValiers de Sangreal from The Da Vinci Code to him. It didn't really do a lot to him, so I said, "No? You're not getting a scoregasm from this?", and he looked utterly disgusted at me. "No, not at all!!" biggrin