• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017
    Do we have a thread about this yet? I did some searching and didn't see one.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. What are you talking about? I see one right here, because I clicked on the link and lo and behold, it appeared. confused

Just kidding. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I walked right into that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Anyway, I'm looking forwards to this. Even if its surface level, it will be great to finally see film composers getting recognition.

Resident rogerebert.com reviewer Glenn Kenny gave it a 2/4 review, but it was a...questionable...review. He says, "The ideal viewer of the movie is someone who enjoys film music but doesn’t know a whole lot about it. For me, therein lies a paradox, because I’m the sort of person who tries to find out about things he likes."

And then he proves his extensive knowledge and love of film music with such gems like

"But while Alfred, Randy and Thomas have movies such as “How Green Was My Valley,” “Toy Story,” and “American Beauty” and more under their belts, “Daddy Day Care” is more David Newman’s speed."

"...a Keith Urban lookalike whose signature career achievements have been scoring both “Guardians of the Galaxy” films. This fellow, one Tyler Bates, goes on to say the “Psycho” shower scene is not scary without Herrmman’s music, and what do you know, when played silently, it sure doesn’t have that much impact. He also says that without the imagery, Herrmann’s music sounds like so much noise, which suggests that he’s not a guy who’s gonna have much use for Pierre Boulez, although I sort of figured that out around the time I noticed he was a Keith Urban lookalike."

" three minutes in the movie shifts to a relatively extended paean to Williams. Who deserves it but, come on."
  2. Yeah I read that review as well. What a load of bollocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    In my little film music group they are a bit pissed of at this project. It was a crowdfunding project, they paid for it and they still have not seen this documentary. They are in the end credits but now they put extra scenes next to the credits which draws the attention away from it. They will receive the movie after it is shown to all kind of festivals.

I saw the first 20 minutes in Krakow, it is quite nice.
  3. I've always thought that this film is for those whose knowledge of film music may be less than than the level of knowledge we have.

As for the crowdfunding angle, did most people contribute so that they would get something for themselves rather than just funding the project knowing that, if they didn't put money in the film wouldn't be made?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017
    What I understand it was the last. The project would not have been made without crowd funding. It was picked up by the industry halfway the project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    As for the crowdfunding angle, did most people contribute so that they would get something for themselves rather than just funding the project knowing that, if they didn't put money in the film wouldn't be made?

The crowd funding campaign clearly stated wonderful gifts and goodies for those proferring money.
    Pretty much all big crowd funding sites clearly state in their regulations that any incentives offered MUST be adhered to (usually if the goal is met).

The goal for this campaign (to which I contributed, incidentally) was met, which means that basically and legally there is a bnding contract. Simple as that.

Realistically though a great deal of crowd funded projects -even when they hit their initial marks- in the end just fold, and I would venture a guess that the majority of incentives never sees the light of day. Crowd funding sites are usually actualy utterly powerless to do any kind of enforcing (although there have been examples of duped contributors banding together and bringing legal action. Which of course they won: as I said legally it's an open and shut case).
    But the fact that this is reality in no way negates the fact that promises were made.
    So yeah, I can totally unedrstand people being extremely annoyed and disappointed.

As for myself, I've learned my lesson quickly, and only contribute to causes or ideas I think offer true benefit (in whatever way). If it then sees the light of day, great! If I even get the promised benefit, brilliant!
    If not, yeah, as expected.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Thanks for the comment Martijn.

I remember (vaguely) a composer asking for donations to score a movie (this was 5-10 years ago) and the movie was one of those we'll-film-it-in-our-spare-time efforts. There was rhe offer of a signed CD when it was released.

All this time later and still no end to the project, and still no sign of a score (never mind a CD). Not many updates over the years. This composer is still composing other projects (though he isn't very well known). It's been so long since I donated that I can't even remember how much I donated - but it was tens of pounds. I have a slim hope that the composer kept a note of everyone who did donate back then.

I was a naive enthusiast back then wanting to take the opportunity to help a talented and up-and-coming composer. I am not so naive now and am tempted to put the whole experience down as a 'life lesson.'
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017 edited
    I did the same thing, Alan. I wonder if it was the same composer as you helped.

Also... as cruel as that comment about David Newman is a few posts up... is it really that far from the truth? It may just be down to the luck of the draw, but his career isn't exactly littered with milestones of cinema. (Edit: which is not saying anything about his personal level of talent.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017
    It is not inaccurate to say he has not scored many great movies, but the reviewer says it in a way that denigrates his talents. "Though his relatives have scored great movies, this guy just does stupid comedies." He doesn't mention that yes, he's been relegated to stupid comedies, but he's a shining talent as well.
  5. The reviewer is trying to say "look at all the crappy movies this guy does, he must be a shit composer" which anyone who's spent more than a few hours listening to film music knows is fundamentally untrue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've always thought that this film is for those whose knowledge of film music may be less than than the level of knowledge we have.

agree. Definitely for the novice
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    No one could write underscore like Herrmann. I just heard in a Perry Mason episode a part of "Where is "Everybody" that Herrmann did for a Twilight Zone episode.
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Southall wrote
    I did the same thing, Alan. I wonder if it was the same composer as you helped.

We will have to compare notes sometime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017 edited
    This film was presented at the Oslo Pix festival two weeks ago. I introduced it and hosted a panel with composers Gaute Storaas and Henrik Skram afterwards. A couple of pictures here and here.

It's a decent documentary, but a bit scatterbrained and mostly for the non-inititated, as a kind of introductory, missionary document. Still, the amount of high profile composers they managed to assemble is impressive. I'd love to see outtakes from the interview material.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. My review of SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/06/30/scor … lm-review/

Jon