• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017
    I was thinking how utterly complicated baseball is. Example. Jacked it, dinger, parked it all mean a homerun, yikes. With the new way of playing the game it can now take 4+ hours for a game. Our manager can use up to 8 pitchers for a game. No wonder people from Europe think it's stupid. Salaries for some of the stars can be 25 million a year. The rule book is hundreds of pages. I understand the appeal more and more of what soccer (football) has to offer.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. That is has become so much more tactical will not win the sport too many new fans these days. There's so much strategy behind every pitch and every decision to swing or not swing. I understand that if you're familiar with all the technique behind different pitches, and that if you're familiar with a lot of personal stats, that watching a baseball game can be really thrilling. Unfortunately, since I don't know much about those things, I find baseball one of the most boring things to watch. I would rather watch nearly any other sport. Including golf.
  2. I still love watching a game of baseball but now it is shown on extra-subscription sports channels most of the time and so I rarely have the opportunity to see any games. Gone are the days of me watching games until 2-3 a.m. and reading avidly my Baseball Weekly subscription.

A great game of tactics, action and spectacle.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    You're right about the strategy. Our manager Paul Molitor is the worst. He studies things like ball rotation, humidity, in otherwords every pitch and every swing or take from the batter. He's taken the fun out of it.
  3. I enjoy watching my younger cousins play ball far more than I do the pros. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2017
    Baseball is basically a non-existant sport in Norway (and most of Europe). I've never really understood the game, except that it's like an advanced form of a kiddie game called 'dødball' ('dead ball') here in Norway. I've seen a few movies about it, but they've never really engaged me much.

Isn't baseball really only big in the US, Cuba and a couple of Asian countries?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Tom, what's your opinion on this written piece that suggests that baseball is in decline in the US?

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Bas … -Landscape
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2017
    A well written article that covers all the bases (pun intended). This year I spent time watching college baseball, the Minnesota Gophers in particular. The tickets are $5.00 and since the average attendance is 500 people I'm treated on a first name basis. I park my wheel chair in a designated handicap spot and am treated like a king. They bring me water and help me to the restroom. The games are 2 1/2 hours I think partly due to the fact that there aren't 8 pitchers used in a game and there isn't a minute between pitches and 5 minutes of commercials between innings. The author of the article talked about 3 hour games. Try to sit through 4 to 5 hour games. Our manager is insane about the stats and bases all his decisions on them. Did you ever stop to think about measuring the weetness of the grass? Today everything is taken into consideration. Since my entire childhood revolved around baseball I still have a fondness for it. We use to take our duplicate baseball cards we couldn't trade off and attach them to the spokes with wooden clothes pins.