• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    One of my most anticipated scores of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    Just wanted to share this article I found, looks like David Hirschfelder's score to the upcoming animated film Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole is being released on September 21 by WaterTower Music. Looking forward to this one, could be very promising.

Now THAT's a title! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    One of my most anticipated scores of the year!

-Erik-

Are you being sarcastic? slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... not at all. I like Hirschfelder's work and I think he has the ability to write a great fantasy/adventure score... at least I hope so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Does that mean a digital download only, and maybe an Amazon CD-R?

Hopefully he or whoever runs his site will update it with samples soon.
    http://www.DavidHirschfelder.com
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... not at all. I like Hirschfelder's work and I think he has the ability to write a great fantasy/adventure score... at least I hope so.

-Erik-

Oh, I thought everyone hated him because of Australia...I'm glad that's not the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Australia isn't the most original score ever written but it's a boat load of fun! I didn't know Hirschfelder received so much backlash for it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think calling it "fun" is the only positive comment I've ever heard on this board about that score (besides mine!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    The tracklist is up at the WaterTower Music page.

1. To The Sky - Owl City
    2. Flight Home (The Guardian Theme)
    3. Taken To St Aggeles
    4. Welcome To The Pellatorium
    5. A Long Way To The Guardians
    6. You Know We’re Flying
    7. A Friend Or Two
    8. The Boy Was Right
    9. Sharpen The Battle Claws
    10. Follow The Whale’s Fin
    11. Into Battle
    12. The Host Of Seraphim
    13. Hello Brother
    14. My Soldiers My Sons
    15. More Baggy Wrinkles
  2. Listening to clips of Legends of The Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole has certainly gotten my interest in this score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    Apparently no one has been interested in Hirschfelder for over a year! wink

I am now listening to Sanctum.

I think the score is not original in any way, the action music certainly isn't anything new or special. I like the use of instruments and the chants, but again, nothing we haven't heard yet. The themes are nice.

But, I do like the score very much. Since I've seen the movie twice now and it really did something to me, I feel it every time I hear the music. This reminds me a bit of how I started listening to film music years ago. I saw a movie that impressed me and the music gave me the emotional experience again.

I am on my first listen now through the whole score, but I've played the first track A Sacred Place and the last two tracks Down To A Sunless Sea and Are We Home Yet? a couple of times. Very powerful moments in the movie.

Perhaps after some more listens I can say more about it but this is my first impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The more I listen, the better it gets...

16. Down To A Sunless Sea

17. Are We Home Yet?

It reminds me of music I own but I don't remember. Could it be Odysee de l'espece or something like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Overall i'm not impressed by this composer but he wrote some cues which are pretty enjoyable and good. There are some standout moments in Australia and Legend of The Guardians as well.. From Sanctum i haven't heard all the tracks so thanks for the suggestion Bregje, i think soon i will give a full listen to it! The movie i still haven't watched though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really enjoyed his score to AUSTRALIA.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    The more I listen, the better it gets...

16. Down To A Sunless Sea

17. Are We Home Yet?

It reminds me of music I own but I don't remember. Could it be Odysee de l'espece or something like that?

I REALLY enjoyed those pieces Bregje, this may well be a 'must have' for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Here's a suite, it's track 18. Sanctum Suite on the album. You can hear the different themes so it gives an idea of the rest of the score. There is much action music since it's a thriller, but some good themes and nice instrumentation too in the quieter pieces.

18. Sanctum Suite

Like I said, for me, the more I listen to this score the better it gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My dad got SANCTUM on bluray for Christmas, so we watched it together the other day (I had previously seen it on DVD). It was a fantastic experience, crystal clear in every department. I only wish it were the 3D version, which would have been even more engrossing. Can't remember that much from the score, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Glad you like it. As I said in the movie topic, some people seem to think the movie was bad?!

But if you've seen the movie twice and you listen to the clips above (16 and 17), don't you remember it from the movie at all? I thought it was very powerful.