• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    Any fans of his music here? His score for Elizabeth was very good, in my opinion. He's doing another score for director Roger Spottiswoode (they worked previously on Shake Hands With the Devil):

THE CHILDREN OF HUANG SHI

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … huang.html

mc
  1. Which I beat you to a couple or so months ago with a ScoreReviews post. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. No Jeff Danna this time? Pity...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Limited to 1,000 copies, LaLaLand Records releases:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Aquamarine.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    Limited to 1,000 copies, LaLaLand Records releases:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Aquamarine.html

hey, just saw the film last week
    not bad score, sweet enough, but it didn't stick in the mind
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    If i remember correctly, Michael said that his score for ELIZABETH was way better than Elizabeth: the golden age by Armstrong and Amar. Well, having heard it, i have to say he's right and i agree with him. His assignment on Baz Luhrmann's AUSTRALIA now seems like a clear winner. Can't wait to hear that one too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Well, I think their approach was as different as the movies themselves have been. I find Hirschfelder´s score perfectly suited, but since I gave the sequel score an intense listen, I really like what Armstrong did there.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    If i remember correctly, Michael said that his score for ELIZABETH was way better than Elizabeth: the golden age by Armstrong and Amar. Well, having heard it, i have to say he's right and i agree with him. His assignment on Baz Luhrmann's AUSTRALIA now seems like a clear winner. Can't wait to hear that one too.

I think one of the things it does well in ELIZABETH is that for a lot of scenes it cools things down rather than trying to raise the temperature on already over-heated acting.

And those Elizabethan dance metres are very attractive. Would like to hear what Elliot Goldenthal with a period orchestra and those dances.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David's score is rather restrained and quite melodic. The 'don't give too many and hold back' tactic usually works better than EVERYTHING unbarred and in your face approaches, see Amar / Armstrong's Elizabeth.
  7. Amar? Do you mean Rahman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, obviously. Sorry about that.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    Does anyone know if the score for Australia will be released at the same time as the movie?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    A friend of mine said that Australia has excellent music. Has anyone heard it in the film or know if there will be a release?
  8. Of course we haven't seen an album emerge for Hirschfelder's AUSTRALIA score yet, which to me is a shame, as the score has quite a bit of presence in the film.

However, not unlike a certain other film edited by Dody Dorn (KINGDOM OF HEAVEN), one can hear the temp track behind the score at several moments in the film. I would be inclined to point the finger at the filmmaking team on this one, but who knows who is responsible for the below.

The references I detected on viewing the film:
    - Arvo Part's FRATRES (probably the eight celli version, or the strings and percussion version, sans percussion) is very noticably the inspiration for the music that recurs whenever the powers of King George (David Gulpilil) are discussed. The opening sequence, and later on a dialogue scene during the cattle drive (prior to the stampede) were the most noticable references. The melody is altered, but the inspiration is unmistakable.
    - In another Arvo Part reference, CANTUS IN MEMORY OF BENJAMIN BRITTEN shows its rather sombre head after Callahan's first visit, tolling bell, weighty strings and all. This music also recurs during the air raid on Darwin, a case of pairing the 'world's most earnest music' with nighmarish visions that makes the music seem bombastic in a way it never does on its own.
    - In a very surprising reference, and a more debatable one, Gabriel Yared's 'Die Unsichtbare Front' is referenced in the scene where Captain Carney and Lady Ashley rush to get their herds down onto the wharves. This is a case of a temp lift as referencing the general shape of the source cue - rhythm, timing of cue changes mimicked - rather than a melody being taken.

The last is not a temp lift, but a clear use of previous music - Elgar's 'Nimrod', for the film's closing scene. To say the least, to have a piece of music so heavy with Anglo associations for the scene that it accompanies is a bit of a miscalculation. Where the quiet final scene might have actually helped the film exit on a grace note, Elgar's piece goes from being a beautiful piece of music to becoming bombastic overscoring that jars with the character of the scene. It's there because a big epic film is ending, not because the scene calls for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009 edited
    On ebay, a promo pressing of David Hirschfelder's score for Australia emerged! So, official release or not, we might get it anyway cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUSTRALIA-Promo-Onl … 1|294%3A50

It is a tad pricey, though wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    Yup, there are a few FYC promos up on ebay from the same seller. If you look at the Powell thread we're also after a copy of the Bolt one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Yup, there are a few FYC promos up on ebay from the same seller. If you look at the Powell thread we're also after a copy of the Bolt one.

Yeah, I noticed, but I'm really not interested in Bolt. One of Powell's weakest efforts of late, imho wink
    Besides, I always tend to get more excited over a promo of a score that's not released at all, over a score that merely gets a few extra cues smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm rather surprised Australia hasn't got a soundtrack, considering how "epic" it's trying to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'm rather surprised Australia hasn't got a soundtrack, considering how "epic" it's trying to be.

Yes, as epic as its box office failure tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Owned. biggrin

I hear it's not very good. I don't even want to think of what budget it got. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    According to box office mojo, $130 million. And I´ve also been told it´s not very good.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. It isn't very good, but on the other hand, neither are a lot of the romantic epics: DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, TITANIC, PEARL HARBOUR all have their problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    I am definitely looking forward for this one, film and score. And the ARVO PART references Michael talked about really excited my interest even more.
  10. Don't look forward to that. They're not references, it's temp track mimicry. And unless you have a taste for bathos masquerading as pathos, it doesn't do the music any favours. It truly robs Part's spare music of its dignity.

Actually there's another reference in the score which I didn't catch, but which someone did:

...of all the quotes [in Hirschfelder's score] the one that really baffled me was Bach’s Sheep May Safely Graze. This is the most used piece in the film because it is Drover’s theme (could the thinking be Drover = sheep? Two Crikeys!!). It’s everywhere!

... your assumption in laying the blame on Dody Dorn’s temping is not correct. There where at least five editors on the film. Baz is totally involved in all musical decisions of this nature. [The uncredited use of] Part, Bach, Elgar, Arlen and Trad are all the result of his thieving magpie style of film making.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    In case anyone is interested there is an official soundtrack album for the movie Australia, exclusive to Australian iTunes store. The album features roughly17 minutes of Hirschfelder's score along with some songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, I just found out earlier today. The promo has all the good material anyway though. Thanks for the info!
  11. Sylvos wrote
    In case anyone is interested there is an official soundtrack album for the movie Australia, exclusive to Australian iTunes store. The album features roughly17 minutes of Hirschfelder's score along with some songs.

that's not a lot?
    Like it costs them a lot to put more score on it? They already saved so much by not releasing a printed CD of it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And a pretty good score actually.
  12. DemonStar wrote
    And a pretty good score actually.

it has some really good material yes, but I want to see what it adds in the movie as well smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    Just wanted to share this article I found, looks like David Hirschfelder's score to the upcoming animated film Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole is being released on September 21 by WaterTower Music. Looking forward to this one, could be very promising.