• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote

Duh...guh...buh...wuh?

Bach is technically masterful, but there's no heart in his music. It's like listening to music composed by an A.I. - cold, clean, clinical, emotionless.

Probably wasn't a good idea to post this.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. His music was very personal, but I can understand this point as this is a more general problem I tend to have with baroque music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Probably wasn't a good idea to post this.

Oh absolutely!
    You're TOTALLY banned now!

(wink <- just in case!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017
    *static*

Strange Voice: Incoming message from Aidabaida

Aidabaida: I love Bach. This is an admission from my own free will. I am not under duress. The mods did not e-mail me and threaten to ban me unless I posted this. I repeat, I love Bach.

*static*
  2. I say again wink

By saying "I repeat", you just ordered an artillery attack at whatever coordinates you ordered it before wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    I don't get anything out of Bach either but I had to perform him all the time in college. My teachers were aghast when I said I didn't care for him, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Actually, Bach's music is rather similar to the action music I decry in my original post - technically flawless, but bland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    I've never liked Bach, actually. cool

Duh...guh...buh...wuh?

Don't like Bach? srsly though...srsly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017 edited
    Bach's music has no heart? !? :heartattack:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for action music: man, oh man: michael giacchino - mission impossible iii
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or Beltrami's Die Hard scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Or Beltrami's Die Hard scores.

oh absolutely. spot on and landmarks.
  3. Aidabaida wrote
    Oh, thanks for reminding me. INTO BATTLE from VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER by David Arnold is great action music!

To each his own but I would've picked something from the 3 Emmerich scores as an example of a great Arnold action cue. wink

Goldsmith: one of his most ferocious and downright enjoyable action scores: King Solomon's Mines. And so much more of course.

Silvestri: Predator and its sequel. And Eraser.

Zimmer: the three combo homerun that is Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker.

Horner: Krull is his action masterpiece, never bettered.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thanks for the recommendations, guys!
  4. How do we go two pages with examples of action music and nobody mentions Goldsmith's The Hijacking?

Time for a paddlin'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQR-cPXlmY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    justin, I thought you were linking to the Goldsmith piece. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You can all give up now...

I win!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I win!

Yes!! punk
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    justin, I thought you were linking to the Goldsmith piece. biggrin

Thinking I linked to something: that's a paddlin'.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    go listen to Valerian - Alexandre Desplat. Thank us later smile
  6. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I win!

Yes!! punk

Well that is a given, naturally. But King Solomon's Mines deserves as much credit IMO, as does Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III. And definitely The Mummy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As long as we're talking Goldsmith, I actually made a playlist of his "setpiece" tracks (not necessarily the main themes), many of which are action showstoppers. I did a thread on this once, and you can find the playlist there:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_29
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I'm sure one could compile a playlist that lasts an entire day with all those stupendous action cues the man has written. I think he's the supreme action composer. Not even Williams can touch his waist (most definitely his knees, but not much higher than that). biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm...seems like the Imageshack link in that other thread no longer works. So here it is again:

http://celluloidtunes.no/non-website/go … pieces.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Demetris wrote

Wow.

I think even Thor will like Valerian. I haven't heard a Desplat score that sounds remotely like what he composed for this. Wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll check it out. Where are you guys listening to this? I can only find two tracks on Spotify, and they didn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm listening to it on YouTube. Recently, the record labels have been releasing full scores there, and not pursuing any kind of copyright dispute against other channels that release full scores. I wonder if it generates enough publicity that it actually helps album sales, or if they've realized that it will essentially kill the pirating industry if there's legal copies available for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK. Youtube sucks as a music player, but it's OK for sampling, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. If it ain't on Youtube, it don't exist. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Demetris wrote

Wow.

I think even Thor will like Valerian. I haven't heard a Desplat score that sounds remotely like what he composed for this. Wow.

Yeah, think again. Thor is our beloved film music hipster wink