• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    I think the LOTR completes are probably some of the longest releases ever, but does anyone know, or have a nomination for the shortest score released on CD? I'm curious as to how little music record companies will try and make us buy at a regular price. Varese releases a few years back were stretching it if they went over 35 minutes, but has anyone got anything that's shorter than this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    29 minutes for Emperor's Club. Great album, a shorter running time works in its favour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Newman's THOSE SECRETS (Original Varese Club) was 16:57

Trevor Rabin's NATIONAL TREASURE 2 (iTunes) was 22:33

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Try not to include iTunes releases - half the reason they're only on iTunes is because of the length. But that Thomas Newman one - my God! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008 edited
    CD RELEASES!

I don't think you'll find anything on CD that's shorter than WOJCIECH KILAR'S IL SOLE NERO on camoriginalsoundtracks which runs at 10:15!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    CD RELEASES!

I don't think you'll find anything on CD that's shorter than WOJCIECH KILAR'S IL SOLE NERO on camoriginalsoundtracks which runs at 10:15!

I think that's the winner! shocked

Le Train by Philippe Sarde was released on LP and only runs at about 17 minutes ( the CD release fills out with other scores ).

The original CD release of Jerry Goldsmith's Planet Of The Apes is only a shade over 20 minutes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The crappest inclusion of a composers work has to be Thomas Newman's pitiful minute of score included on the song dominated THE LOST BOYS soundtrack.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Try not to include iTunes releases - half the reason they're only on iTunes is because of the length. But that Thomas Newman one - my God! shocked

I don't see why we shouldn't add iTunes released. I'm sure it would be the same length if released on CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

I don't see why we shouldn't add iTunes released. I'm sure it would be the same length if released on CD.

-Erik-

Then why are those scores only released on iTunes? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

Then why are those scores only released on iTunes? wink

Because it's cheaper. No manufacturing costs.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I still think sometimes it would be an alternative for having some score released rather than nothing at all, don't you? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I still think sometimes it would be an alternative for having some score released rather than nothing at all, don't you? confused

Sure... but at least give it to use in some sort of lossless format. These 128k ACC released are ridiculous!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Sure... but at least give it to use in some sort of lossless format. These 128k ACC released are ridiculous!

-Erik-

Now I'm not even going to think of arguing with you there. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Kilar's score seems like the winner, but I'm not that sure . For instance, Krzysztof Komeda's Cul-de-sac was originally 13:11 on the 45 rpm release and 15:54 on cd. 45 rpm's are what people called singles , but they've among them that are really score releases and not just 2 version of a theme song. If counting these, then Kilar doesn't win either. I'm sure there are a lot of those rpm's with less than 10:15.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Cloverfield: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack could be the winner if it comes out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  1. Discounting multiple scores on one CD, I think the shortest score release I've come across is a Japanese release of Isao Tomita's score for Tasogare Seibei: 16:13 (http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=60242).

If I had known it was so short, I wouldn't have bothered with it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, take a look some posts back about the KILAR score wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What lies beneath???
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    What lies beneath???

I don't know? You tell me!?

And beneath what exactly?
  2. Danna's SHATTERED GLASS is less than 20 minutes, I think. Danna's ICE STORM is also pretty short too - about 19 minutes at the most, I think.

Desplat's LES CORPS IMPATIENTS is only 17 minutes long.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008
    Lion King by Hans Zimmer was 16 minutes on CD! It is one of his best scores (it won both Golden Globe and Oscar for a reason smile ) and the soundtrack missed out several highlights of the movie. Hopefully they release it in complete form one day cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    What lies beneath???

I don't know? You tell me!?

And beneath what exactly?

29 minutes i think.

The animated scores with songs, or album songs with suites doesn't count!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    Uhm...what about those song-heavy soundtracks that happen to have one or two meager score cuts, like Timmer's LOST BOYS example above? Wouldn't they "win"?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I think there's still content being purchased there though with all the song cuts. The really amazing prospects are the sub-20/25 minute score CDs with nothing else on them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008
    Alexandre Desplat's C'est Pas am Faute! release by Milan has a lenght of 12:15.

1. Je Rêve d'Un Pays (version longue) (03:30)
    (Alexandre Desplat / Alexandre Desplat - Jacques Monnet) - performed by Jhos Lican, Thomas Coste, Pierre-Yann Messager (Chorale d'Asnières), Samia Ben Chaffi, Ninon Desplat and Alvise Sinivia
    2. L'Attaque des Enfants (02:26)
    3. Le Supermarché (01:39)
    4. Thème de Martin (01:48)
    5. Bataille de Mercurochrome (01:51)
    6. Je Rêve d'Un Pays (version courte) (01:11)
    (Alexandre Desplat / Alexandre Desplat - Jacques Monnet) - performed by Jhos Lican, Thomas Coste, Pierre-Yann Messager (Chorale d'Asnières), Samia Ben Chaffi, Ninon Desplat and Alvise Sinivia
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    12:15??!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Trevor Jone's Notting Hill was in my opinion very short in terms of tracks in the soundtrack release.
    Danny Elfman's Good Will Hunting is another example. Compared to Notting Hill this film had a lot more score options to be inserted in the soundtrack but producers opted for songs which was one pretty silly....
    Robinson