• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017
    The problem that I have is I'm always comparing the film to the original which is not really fair. Each film needs to be judged on it's own individual merit.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    Let's vote on the three scores. Steiner, Barry, or Howard
  1. All very good scores, but

Steiner = 0
    Barry = 1
    Howard = 0

Let's continue.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    Steiner is a milestone score, and quite listenable, albeit a bit intense and long in the Marco Polo version I own (never been a big Steiner fan, but this is among my favourites of his). The Barry I can't remember (given my view on Barry, I'll probably not like it very much outside the theme). The JNH is excellent -- in parts, as is the case with most of his scores since 2004. So no unadulterated enthusiam for any of these.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
    so at this time barry is ahead
  2. I can't really say, as I haven't seen any of the King Kong films yet and I'm not sure I've heard the Barry score. Pure enjoyment between the Steiner and the Howard score "put" me in the JNH bandwagon. The Steiner is a huge achievement though. And Steiner is a late discovery for me anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
    I'll consider that a yes for Steiner. PM me if you would like some more Steiner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017
    anymore?
  3. I'd like to weigh in, but I'm sorry to say I've never heard the Barry or Steiner scores. Give me a day and I'll give you my thoughts, though they'll only be based on a first listen. I really need to spend more time listening to classic scores, but I find it less enjoyable to me than things that were written during my lifetime. Still, I can hardly call myself a film-score fan when I haven't heard Steiner's KING KONG. And I like Barry. I'll check them out tonight and tomorrow morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017
    I love almost all Kong scores across the board.
    The Steiner is monumental.
    The Barry is fine, if a little plodding.
    The Scott is pretty good.
    The Newton Howard is terrific.
    And the Jackman is serviceable but not in the same league as what towered before it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My favorite is the steiner 'cause it's a classic, and JNH's 'cause it's absolutely beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Barry's easily. And you knew I'd say that Tom. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. After listening to all three, I vote for the JNH score. Listening to the Steiner was cool, because it's such a piece of history, but for sheer enjoyment, I'd go for JNH's score every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017
    Scoring:
    Steiner 3
    Barry 2
    Howard 1

Anyone else?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You need to do your sums again Tom, JNH has more than one vote.

My vote is purely on personal enjoyment. For me the John Barry score as presented by FSM's expanded release is just awesome, varied and full of gorgeous themes, evocative, emotive and dramatic, it's nothing groundbreaking but it is a JB tour-de-force . JNH's effort is a great score too which I enjoy a lot. I like Steiner's score, it rarely gets played by me but I understand its huge significance in film scoring history.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. My vote also really counts as JNH, though I'd rather not cast one as I don't really know the Barry score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sorry guys it should be two
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom