• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Again, who are you to decide for everyone what is "useless" and "inferior"? And a lot of the times there are other reasons why a certain piece is not included...it was recorded too late, or there are musicians' union fees in place preventing albums being longer than 30 minutes.

meh, fast money cashing grabbing stuff that goes sold out before it's even starting selling, it's obvious gold for collectors and fanboys and most often of inferior to none extra value to the rest of the normal people wink i am not deciding anything. i just observe, listen, compare, form my own opinion smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017 edited
    I was a metalhead for many years too. Same situation there. Even worse. Lots of very expensive black market bootlegs that have horrible shitty sound quality and people talking coughing farting and burping ontop of the music, recorded on one-channel shitty mono tape or something, selling like crazy. Totally non-objective and not-down-to-earth fanboys of all music niche musical genres need their food wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree that if you want all material and are willing to pay for it by all means go for it. I don't need to hear the same theme exactly except for a harp glissando which was rejected by the director. What is the point. When and if you ever watch the movie turn the volume off on the film briefly and insert the 'unreleased' material then. Let me give you an example of something by the way you'll never hear because the material is gone and nearly prevented the film from ever being released. There was an Oscar winning film called "The Lost Weekend" from 1945. Originally some composer I believe it was Victor Young who wrote the soundtrack. He chose to use as an opening a Gershwin type melody to open the film which to set the stage was a multi story apartment building and the camera slowly zoomed in on a particular window where we see a bottle tied to a string. People saw this with the music saw this and thought it was a comedy and begn to laugh. Billy Wilder was smart enough to hire Miklos Rozsa who understood the drama involved and was nominated for an Oscar for his perfect score. Wilder was sick at the preview in Santa Barbara, Ca. Why would you want to hear all this nonsense?

Some of this goes on in classical music too. They find sketches of a "lost" movement and a phd scholar takes it upon himself to complete it as he thought the composer might. I use a classic example which is Schubert's 'Unfinished' Symphony. Schubert published it the way he did for a reason and not for someone to finish it. I'm not a scholar like some of you on this forum but I do have a little music knowledge having studied it for four years.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. It's sometimes interesting to hear what wasn't used to better appreciate what was eventually used. Surely having an interest means that it would be interesting to hear what was left by the wayside?

True, it's probably only a small minority who would want to hear that original version of a cue that had that intrusive triangle hit 2 minutes into the music that was inadvertently synchronized with a dog sneezing in the background and which drew some unwanted attention to the event.

But, for something like Goldsmith's original take on "The Enterprise", it's interesting to hear the original to compare with what was used (and to appreciate just how 'wrong' that original attempt was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Usually it is wrong Alan and of course you have the right to spend your money on the 'extra material" if you wish. I would rather spend that money elsewhere. I see it as a way for Intrada and other companies to stay in business.

Please listen to Schubert's 'Unfinished 'symphony and tell me why it has to be changed. It would be a work that I can listen to once a week for the rest of my life. Why does someone have to change it? It's perfect and I feel he named it unfinished because he felt his life was.

Your Goldsmith point is well taken.

Tom smile
  2. Demetris wrote
    I was a metalhead for many years too. Same situation there. Even worse. Lots of very expensive black market bootlegs that have horrible shitty sound quality and people talking coughing farting and burping ontop of the music, recorded on one-channel shitty mono tape or something, selling like crazy. Totally non-objective and not-down-to-earth fanboys of all music niche musical genres need their food wink

Well that's different. That's like those score bootlegs you find full of SFX from the movie. I can't listen to those at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Well that's different. That's like those score bootlegs you find full of SFX from the movie. I can't listen to those at all.

Indeed you have a right point here. Unused and left-over materials from film scores, most of the times do have good audio quality (which is not the case with the lacking-dynamic and unmastered 'recording sessions' stuff etc) but even with good quality, most of the times, the pieces are overlong and lack coherency of properly edited and cut-down official album / movie-friendly cues which are released in the first place. I find that too much material often spoils the overall listening experience and impression i have for a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Indeed you have a right point here. Unused and left-over materials from film scores, most of the times do have good audio quality (which is not the case with the lacking-dynamic and unmastered 'recording sessions' stuff etc) but even with good quality, most of the times, the pieces are overlong and lack coherency of properly edited and cut-down official album / movie-friendly cues which are released in the first place. I find that too much material often spoils the overall listening experience and impression i have for a score.

You couldn't be more right!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    good discussion to all cheesy
  3. Just to chip in (a day late and a dollar short), I almost never listen to the early synth mock-ups that they include on expanded albums, and I usually can't really tell what the difference is between the alternate takes that they include. If there's something majorly different, that's one thing, but if the only difference is one little triangle hit or something, I don't really care to have the alternate take. One case of this that I thought was particularly egregious was the recent expansion of DAYS OF HEAVEN. There were a lot of alternate takes included on that album and it just made listening to the whole thing a real chore.
  4. I usually listen to alternates once, and if they're not substantially different they go in the (virtual) bin. Or else if I slightly prefer it to the used version I'll replace it in the main program of the score. I'd only ever keep both if the differences are really major.

Mockups aren't really of any interest to me at all. But again, I'd rather delete them than have someone who does care about such things have to go empty-handed.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I find that quite interesting that you of all people aren't interested in hearing the minutes of a film score and what I'm getting at is your musicological degree.

I've kinda discussed the Thor position, though too from a purely academic perspective it's something a bit baffling. When Tom mentioned early drafts/fragments of books in an earlier post, I think he kinda got to the core of the argument and it's, more than anything, a historical one. Of course there are cases that make it somewhat difficult (as much as I love it, I wouldn't like to hear the complete Beyond Rangoon or The Last Samurai just because the compilation is so perfect and in case of Samurai in particular it's quite meticulous storytelling, much more nuanced and subtle than the film itself), but the core of the problem lies here.

Let's forget for a while the completists. because that's not exactly fully rational. We know that some of us are film score completists (also in terms of C&C vs. A&A, as we dub the discussion here) just because we're geeks and that's fine. But, I'm sure Tom must know that, there are so called critical editions of literature, where variants of a work are present. Early drafts, deleted words/lines/pages. In fact the nature of a so-called critical edition is that you compare all available manuscripts/works and mention all the differences in the footnotes. In some cases it may lead to hilarious results (a Polish poem from 17th century, in its main manuscript, has a verse saying "I'd kiss you a thousand times", to which someone else, which is evident from the handwriting, added "in the ass"), but it's very important to note down these differences.

A complete and chronological album of a film score, available on these editions, is a critical edition featuring an introduction, even (liner notes). It could focus less on trivia and more on the real issues behind the film score (I know that at least in one case the author of the notes had a mention of very obvious classical quotes removed from the final text which made him, as he told me, "livid") and be a real "academic" introduction to a critical edition. You can always go to Los Angeles and look at the sheet music, should you read music and need to look at it, but the mockups, alternate cues, etc., can be very useful for researcher. You can use the "popular" editions still, but the critical stuff serves afficionados and academics well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017
    C&C releases are like archeological documents; quite useful if you're analyzing a film down on micro level, so you can use the album (and the liner notes) as reference. But I've never been interested in soundtracks because of archeological or "preservation" reasons. I don't give a monkey's toss about the movie or the score-in-context when I put on an album. But I can sort of understand those who do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017
    I respect your opinion Pawel very much and I'm glad that you understand my point of view. The more I listen lately the more that my ear is drifting me toward the classics, specifically the classical film composer who accepts an assignment to do a film score for money such as Copland (The Red Pony), Vaughan Williams (Scott of the Antarctic), Leonard Bernstein (On The Waterfront), and composers Miklos Rozsa and Erich Korngold who were really classical composers. All of the mentioned works should be in your collection. As far as manipulating classical works Schubert named his Unfinished symphony not for someone to come along and change it from his sketches. In my mind it is complete.
    Tom smile
  6. Thor wrote
    C&C releases are like archeological documents; quite useful if you're analyzing a film down on micro level, so you can use the album (and the liner notes) as reference. But I've never been interested in soundtracks because of archeological or "preservation" reasons. I don't give a monkey's toss about the movie or the score-in-context when I put on an album. But I can sort of understand those who do.

I wouldn't call publishing medieval classics "archeological", really, as it's not that big of a time difference (after all, if you REALLY want to in many cases you can STILL actually find and check out the original manuscript or original print). Mostly, we do have the sheet music too, but it's good to compare that with the performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wouldn't call publishing medieval classics "archeological", really, as it's not that big of a time difference (after all, if you REALLY want to in many cases you can STILL actually find and check out the original manuscript or original print). Mostly, we do have the sheet music too, but it's good to compare that with the performance.

Well, I obviously don't mean it in a literal sense; more as an ideology, the 'preserving historical artifacts in as complete a state as possible' part of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. That way, yes. It does have its historical significance. It could have theoretical significance as well, if you happen to be a creativity psychologist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017
    Thor wrote

yeah for the standard busy working people of today i think that with all of our everyday needs, running around, job , burdens etc, there's often not even enough time for the properly built official releases, and definitely no time or will and energy at all, for leftovers. As a musicologist with a degree (non practicing anymore but as you brought it up wink ) even more i'd say, i value the work of music and album editors into putting all that scarce recording sessions' chaos into listenable order, with beginnings, middles and ends, and coherency.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i personally see the whole thing a bit more cynical anyway (surprise wink ) i find little to often none value in those leftovers. They are left outside most of the times for a reason. The only value is financial, for the labels from the completist loonies and fanboys and it's perfectly ok with me as long as this gives them money to continue exist and release the proper official releases i listen to and often, love smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with you Demetris and I really have no time for them anymore.
  8. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah for the standard busy working people of today i think that with all of our everyday needs, running around, job , burdens etc, there's often not even enough time for the properly built official releases, and definitely no time or will and energy at all, for leftovers. As a musicologist with a degree (non practicing anymore but as you brought it up wink ) even more i'd say, i value the work of music and album editors into putting all that scarce recording sessions' chaos into listenable order, with beginnings, middles and ends, and coherency.

I brought your education up, not Thor smile . I would argue that it always has to be put in order. Film music is often more structured than we tend to think and there are a few cases where the album structure completely falsifies the film score structure (The Thin Red Line makes the Journey to the Line motif much more prominent than it is in the film while barely featuring Stone in My Heart which is actually the most recurring theme in the final score).

It's a difficult problem, because as I say, I do like proper albums. Only Golden Age I wouldn't like to hear in an original program (though, that said, I never really did), as part of my enjoyment of that music is the impeccable structure the scores have. There are scores where the complete form changed my mind about them positively (Goldsmith's First Blood reordered as chronological made my jaw drop, The Peacemaker, too, which is all sound and fury with the more emotional and supense track showcasing some of the best structural writing Hans ever had). In some cases I'd redo the original album with some different choices of particular cues, but wouldn't want to release a complete score at all (Crimson Tide, where some of the better and more accessible material was left out to have some of Hans' most weirdly dissonant electronic underscore in it, and I'd really want the Main Title, which I was looking for since I saw the film... and so on; I also didn't like Days of Thunder until I finally heard Mancina's Final Race which Lala featured).

It's really a case by case basis. If the score's structure is particularly intricate, I'd rather pick a chronological program, even if incomplete. Recent scores though won't hold up that well in a complete program. And some composers (yes, I'm looking at you, Brian Tyler) are quite bad album compilers, while at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited
    Well, there is 'film order' and there is 'pure music order'. Two completely different things. Just as you make changes, omit passages, restructure the sequence of events etc. when you adapt a book to film (same story, two different media), so -- too -- should you make changes when adapting the music from film to album (same story, two different media), IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. But the music was written for the film. It's not the same thing as a full medium-to-medium adaptation at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited
    It's exactly the same. It's about adapting a thing from one medium to another.

You said it yourself. The music was written for the film. It was not meant to be listened to alone, especially not on a structural level. So you make the appropriate structural changes in order for it to function as independently as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    It's exactly the same. It's about adapting a thing from one medium to another.

You said it yourself. The music was written for the film. It was not meant to be listened to alone, especially not on a structural level. So you make the appropriate structural changes in order for it to function as independently as possible.

True. otherwise it's too long, sparse and doesn't make much sense in the long, unedited, film order when listened alone on album.
  10. It makes very much sense, if you try to re-experience the cinematic narrative in the abstracted way of listening to the complete music in chronological order. This doesn't work with every score though and in that cases I prefer the album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    It makes very much sense, if you try to re-experience the cinematic narrative...

Yeah, therein lies the difference between us. I'm not interested in re-experiencing the cinematic narrative. I watch the movie for that.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Film music is about storytelling for me, so changing the order and cutting out stuff...well, there have been some very fine abridged versions written over the years, but it's still not the same thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's (partially) about storytelling for me too, but on music's own terms. It's about storytelling the way a concept album or symphony is, not a film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    It makes very much sense, if you try to re-experience the cinematic narrative...

Yeah, therein lies the difference between us. I'm not interested in re-experiencing the cinematic narrative. I watch the movie for that.

Same here. I expect a musical experience from the film on album. Not to listen to the film again without sfx or dialogue.