• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017
    Thor wrote
    It's (partially) about storytelling for me too, but on music's own terms. It's about storytelling the way a concept album or symphony is, not a film.

yes. we've seen the film, now let the music re-tell the story on its own musical way.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Umm, yes and no. I mean, the fact that an album like Beyond Rangoon and The Last Samurai does tell the story, sometimes even better than the film itself (the latter case) is a bit of, really, a miracle stemming from the original structure though.

I mean, let's take a look at Samurai - the action cues are in the right place chronologically. They might not be the particular action SCENES (To Know My Enemy is far later in the film, for example), but structurally, it's in the right place. What's chronologically correct is Spectres in the Fog (a favourite track title of mine, when it comes to Hans, BTW) and the final action cues including A Small Measure of Peace. At least make sure you somehow maintain the right emotional arc that doesn't have to be literally "there" chronologically, but is there structurally.

Beyond Rangoon is the same. Village under Siege is actually WAY earlier in the film than on album. But an action scene is how the film ends. No harm done to the material's structural intricacy that way.

On the other hand - Peacemaker is all action and no respite which makes no sense, because there's also totally ignored suspense and more variations on the Sarajevo theme, some very nice. Tyler just throws his highlights at the beginning of the album and it really sizzles somewhere 30-40 minutes in.

Williams, Goldsmith were masters (though how one of the most important themes was totally left out of First Knight escapes me. And I can't forgive whatever compilation they did with Mulan, to be honest). But it's not always that certain how things are gonna end up, like me and First Blood or The Peacemaker.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. And the music tells the story in a musical way in the film and a chronological program too. I mean, is there any other way it can tell a story?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And the music tells the story in a musical way in the film and a chronological program too. I mean, is there any other way it can tell a story?

yes. compact, properly cut and edited into standard album friendly cues and normal cd durations, with more coherent structure. as in a properly edited film score album. not overlong pieces that are basically either recording sessions or the music audio channel without the rest of audio sfx and dialogue, that without the movie narrative and dialogues and on-screen visuals, takes you nowhere, for hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And the music tells the story in a musical way in the film and a chronological program too. I mean, is there any other way it can tell a story?

It does so in the film, yes. But without the film, the story that was once there feels jumbled and disjointed since music tells stories differently than film. "Pure" musical composition doesn't usually adher to scenes and cutaways and place movements and so on, so to me it feels schizophrenic and whimsical once removed the film. Unless you do something about it, mainly the selection and sequencing (but also occasionally the tracks themselves with micro-edits and so on).

I should point out that just because an album is A&A doesn't make it immune to criticism. You mentioned THE PEACEMAKER, which I agree is too heavy on the action material. Another example is the TCM release of BEN HUR which has about 20-30 minutes or incessant rowing music midway, and not enough of the spiritual music. It's mostly chronological, but it's not complete. So that type of arrangement warrants criticism. Same goes for a couple of James Horner albums.

My point is only that there has to be some creative thought process going into the re-structuring IN THE FIRST PLACE (by the composer or producer). Then we can evaluate afterwards whether that structure works for us or not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017 edited
    (moved here from the Now Playing thread)

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    BobdH wrote
    And then there's the HORRIBLE album presentation. Seriously? An hour and a half made up of 38 short tracks? It's not even LIKE an archival release anymore - it's a dump of cues as in an archival release. That's the problem nowadays. I'm perfectly fine with releasing a complete version as an alternative, but more and more they are releasing that version right away and I need to start prepping my listening sessions in order not to be bored stiff by each new album. Happy now, C&C completists?!

As one of the board's most pro-C&C advocates, I have to say I'm not. Living in an age of digital distribution there's no excuse not to be able to offer both, like you suggest: a concise album, and a complete edition for the real crazy folk like me (although I have to say I'm not looking forward to an hour and a half of horror material...if there's any film music genre that benefits most from judicious pruning, it's that one). I remember when the Hobbit scores came out and there was a "standard" and a "special" edition...great in theory...except the standard versions are like five minutes shorter and therefore succeed in pleasing absolutely nobody. What a joke. rolleyes

An example done right is e.g. Oblivion, where there was a regular 70-minute album (okay, still plenty long, but reasonable) and a deluxe edition that added 45 minutes. Or Lorne Balfe's The Sweeney, where he released the complete score over iTunes after the regular CD had already been out for a week or so. I wish they would do that for every score.

Well, yes, I think first of all a score needs to be released in a 'highlights' version which sustains a great listening experience for everyone and consists of the best material from the score that can stand on its own. And then if it proves itself to be popular and if the rest of the material warrants it, which generally should mean: if the demand from the community is there, go ahead and release a deluxe version.

But it went from; the limitations of 70 min. CD's forced record companies to carefully produce a program, to; the freedom of digital releasing frees them from the obligation of carefully producing an album and they start to find out they can do minimum album prepping and just prepare a range of tracks for iTunes. I think the one C goes hand in hand with the other C: when you're forced to make a selection of tracks, you also start rearranging them to still warrant a proper experience and balance the tracks out. When you release it all, the balancing becomes less of a problem and you're more inclined to leave it all the way it is.

And not just because of the digital medium; it also helps there are growing communities online that demand those C&C releases which basically legitimises the record companies to throw it all online. So I'd say the C&C market is in part to blame for the current album problems.

At least there was a transition period, in which like you say, Oblivion had multiple versions, or Junkie XL's Mad Max. Then there's his Brimstone, which had a way too long listening experience digitally, but was forced to be cut down to CD length for the physical release. So for that one and then The Mummy I awaited the CD tracklisting to compile my own playlist without needing to slug through the whole thing first before I was able to compile a listening experience which would suit my need; I want my first exposure to a score to be a satisfying one.

But then there was the new Transformers, and now IT in which even the CD release expands over 2 discs, so they effectively don't need to bother making that selection anymore. Because that's what the filmmusic community wants.
  3. Yeah, I recognize that that's a serious problem. Leave the complete scores to the specialty labels, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017
    yes who doesn't need 70 minutes of sweeny in their lives wink
  4. That score's not too bad, actually. The complete score didn't add too much, but there were six minutes of cues that I added to my playlist of that score, so worth the listen IMO. And, now I have the peace of mind that I'm not missing anything else, and that's worth something to me as well.
  5. I agree here. Scores need to have stood the test of time to justify an archival release. For original releases I normally prefer a length of about 60 Minutes.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    For original releases I normally prefer a length of about 60 Minutes.

Volker

In general, sure, but I find the proper length of a score is very much individual for that score (though still within the confines of a single 80 minutes CD, which is usually perfect considering my attention span when listening to music of a single score).

If the score is broad in its scope and goes through a wide range of emotions and colors and thematic ideas, like The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, it warrants a lengthy release of over 70 minutes. However, if it's more focused on a single emotion, like drama or action or thriller, and doesn't offer a wealth of themes due to the nature of the score, usually I find a duration of 45-60 minutes more appropriate, despite the actual amount of music that was composed for the film. This doesn't need to say anything about the quality of the score, just the nature of it and its purposes.

Now, that was usually how it was - these days, of course, nobody seems to be aware of this anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017
    We all know of course that the cd is going away. Some of the companies such as Intrada, La-La Land and BSX seem unwilling to convert over.
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Well, yes, I believe that is mainly an American perspective. Germany is a more conservative market than the USA. (minus 60 % sales since 2000 vs minus 85 %) Also it seems to depend on the genre. In classical music and Jazz for instance the CD still seems to be going strong. If I read the boards correctly score collectors in their majority still prefer physical releases.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017
    The collector wants the CD he can put in his hands of course. He reads paper books. I've slowly found myself converting to digital files. The wave downloads are fine with me. I've now got a kindle so the only thing I'll keep are the books on the Hollywood and music material I have. For a 70 year old I think I've adapted well.
    Tom smile
  7. You're ahead of me, even! I haven't found myself able to part from physical books yet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017
    and yet I still use a land line for a telephone. smile
  8. Colleges of mine refuse to use smart phones. They have basic cell phones that they will use a emergency devices. They not even have wireless phones at home and all their PCs run on Linux.

Maybe that's paranoia, maybe they are right.

Volker
  9. sdtom wrote
    The collector wants the CD he can put in his hands of course. He reads paper books. I've slowly found myself converting to digital files. The wave downloads are fine with me. I've now got a kindle so the only thing I'll keep are the books on the Hollywood and music material I have. For a 70 year old I think I've adapted well.
    Tom smile

Not having CDs does mean that a lot of the music I have doesn't feel like a collection. And I think that now most music is available to everyone rhe concept of personal collections doesn't really apply much nowadays - except for the CDs that the likes of Intrada and Kritzerland release. But even then a lot of what they put out ultimately ends up being released digitally.

I will never own a Kindle.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017
    Looking at my iTunes collection of about 1500 albums, about 900 of them are transfers of the CDs I presently own, while the remaining 600 or so are all digital. So it's becoming a pretty even match.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Colleges of mine refuse to use smart phones. They have basic cell phones that they will use a emergency devices. They not even have wireless phones at home and all their PCs run on Linux.

Maybe that's paranoia, maybe they are right.

Volker

and the reason for this, is..what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That score's not too bad, actually. The complete score didn't add too much, but there were six minutes of cues that I added to my playlist of that score, so worth the listen IMO. And, now I have the peace of mind that I'm not missing anything else, and that's worth something to me as well.

you find peace of mind very easily in something this trivial..tell me your secret master wink how do you do it? srsly.
  10. I don't know, I know I'm weird. It's just satisfying to me. Might be a mildly OCD thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh no worries mate, most of us are weird anyway. I mean look at our primal hobby, look at mt smile i know the feeling,i have mild ocd too i think in various aspects that have to do with my work. not the work in general or per se, but aspects of it mostly having to do with the hardware and the software setup i use. To each his own craziness then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Not having CDs does mean that a lot of the music I have doesn't feel like a collection. And I think that now most music is available to everyone rhe concept of personal collections doesn't really apply much nowadays - except for the CDs that the likes of Intrada and Kritzerland release. But even then a lot of what they put out ultimately ends up being released digitally.

I will never own a Kindle.

With Amazon Prime I started with a Kindle reader on my computer and downloaded some free books. It cost nothing to try and from there went to a Kindle reader. I found to be cost effective for me especially on reference books.
    Tom smile