• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I get everything in that paragraph except for the last point: "extraordinary beauty"...that is something i have never heard in Total Recall. But fear not...I shall be listening to this score again...and again...and again...until I like it!

"extraordinary beauty" = The Mutant.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I get everything in that paragraph except for the last point: "extraordinary beauty"...that is something i have never heard in Total Recall. But fear not...I shall be listening to this score again...and again...and again...until I like it!

Why? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Maybe you'll return to it later in your life and enjoy it, maybe not. For now, go and listen to something you like!

Ditto. Don't torture yourself. If you don't like it then you don't like. You don't have to like it just because the rest of the world does. Be different. Be an individual. March to the Beat of Your Own Drum. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    I have a question for Goldsmith fans.

What is the appeal to you of Total Recall?

I think it's pretty much the culmination of an action style that Goldsmith was working on and refining for his whole career; and one he never quite scaled again. All the little tricks he had built up over the years are there, and the real clincher is that he combines it with the beauty of things like "The Mutant" and the finale track (whose name I can't remember). I think for a fan of Goldsmith's action style, it's pretty much nirvana. It's absolutely not a score for everyone though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Indeed Matt. No one says you have to like it. Why should you? And listening until you like it, is just listening until you think you like but actually don't like, but because of all the pressure you jut want to like. dizzy wink

Skip it! And listen to something else. Much scores that are worth it.
    Kazoo
  1. Total Recal is for many one of Goldsmith's finest, and why is because it is as James stated a compilation of his entire arsenal of tricks. The rhythmic action music, the electronic outer space tone, the rollicking action music, it is all present. For one, I adore this kind of music, but knowing the movie so good I grew up with it, so perhaps that helped a lot
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Bregt wrote
    Skip it! And listen to something else. Much scores that are worth it.

Indeed Bregt, like The Ice Storm? tongue
    why favor percussive clangs if you can listen to propulsive brassy action music wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have an illogical but unshakeable tendency to want to be able to appreciate and like anything that anyone likes. Or, if that prooves impossible, to at least understand why they like it. Call me crazy, but this tendency has certainly expanded my tastes and interests over the years and allowed me to enjoy many things that I otherwise would not have been able to.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a theory about TOTAL RECALL.

It's big in the begining, it's mystic in the middle and it's big at the end.

That, is MY theory about TOTAL RECALL.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You should teach at university! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just to get off the Total Recall subject for a second. I've been listening to Goldsmith's Wild Rovers on and off ever since I got the score many moons ago on Chapter III and then the expanded treatment on FSM. Since then, the song "The Wild Rover" sung by Ellen Smith (Goldsmith's daughter) has gone down and one of my all time favorites and the theme that came out of that song is one of Goldsmith's all time best. I absolutely LOVE the country twang in Ellen's Smith's voice and the Goldsmith orchestral arrangement underneath the lryics give the song a nice upbeat and playful kick. The sweeping arrangements of the song in the score proper heard during the powerhouse action cues "Wild Horses" and "Bronco Bustin'" are absolutely splendid and give the score that classic, Bernstein western feel. It's the B-motif... or is that the chorus - the "no hill to steep no river to wide" portion - that I love and when performed by sweeping strings it is pure film music gold!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    As much as I adore Total Recall´s Main Theme, I´m always frustrated about the very chaotic ending of theme and that it´s the only version of it at all. I would very much love to get a new version with a great ending that actually sounds like the original. Some variations changed the end a little bit, but every variation I´ve heard uses that ugly anvil sound, while in the original it´s more like an electronic whipping sound, totally different and way more cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As much as I adore Total Recall´s Main Theme, I´m always frustrated about how it ends and that it´s the only version of it at all. I would very much love to get a new version with a great ending that actually sounds like the original. Some variations changed the end a little bit, but every variation I´ve heard uses that ugly anvil sound, while in the original it´s more like an electronic whipping sound, totally different and way more cool.

Look no further than Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orcehstra. They recorded the theme for their Great Fantasy Adventure Album and it contains a version of Total Recall with a "proper" ending. But looking back at your post you might already know that because the "ugly anvil sound" must be your description of the Kuznel recording.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can understand that TOTAL RECALL can be totally off-putting if you're looking for "melodic finesse" or something similar. But the fact is that although the big G could compose beautiful melodies like the rest of them, his big appeal (for me, anyway) was also in his TEXTURES. His unusual orchestration, odd meters, "organic" sound. There's plenty of that in this Arnie potboiler, which I believe is why it's so adored by everyone. But if those kinds of orchestral textures are not your thing in the first place, well then I totally understand. It's not for everyone.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You should teach at university! shocked

What!? One where Monty Python has never been heard of? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That would be a start. biggrin
  3. We of the old generation know what it's like to favour a Goldsmith say Total Recall score anymore, today themes don't count anymore, rhythm and ideas does

how sad that may be
    Total Recall is packed with themes AND ideas wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    That would be a start. biggrin

An Amish uni mayhap!? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    We of the old generation know what it's like to favour a Goldsmith say Total Recall score anymore, today themes don't count anymore, rhythm and ideas does

how sad that may be

I can't think of a single living composer who can write balls to the walls action with the same degree of intellect and integrity as JG, not a one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    We of the old generation know what it's like to favour a Goldsmith say Total Recall score anymore, today themes don't count anymore, rhythm and ideas does

how sad that may be

I can't think of a single living composer who can write balls to the walls action with the same degree of intellect and integrity as JG, not a one!

Neither can I... and to be honest I can't think of a dead one who could either! Not even close, in fact.

I'll also take the opportunity to echo Thor's points above. There's just something unique about Goldsmith when he was in a certain kind of mood - he didn't sound like anyone else before or since - just himself - and that makes his music so interesting to me.

My final piece of agreement is with Erik's post above about Wild Rovers. A wonderful, wonderful score.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Just to get off the Total Recall subject for a second. I've been listening to Goldsmith's Wild Rovers on and off ever since I got the score many moons ago on Chapter III and then the expanded treatment on FSM. Since then, the song "The Wild Rover" sung by Ellen Smith (Goldsmith's daughter) has gone down and one of my all time favorites and the theme that came out of that song is one of Goldsmith's all time best. I absolutely LOVE the country twang in Ellen's Smith's voice and the Goldsmith orchestral arrangement underneath the lryics give the song a nice upbeat and playful kick. The sweeping arrangements of the song in the score proper heard during the powerhouse action cues "Wild Horses" and "Bronco Bustin'" are absolutely splendid and give the score that classic, Bernstein western feel. It's the B-motif... or is that the chorus - the "no hill to steep no river to wide" portion - that I love and when performed by sweeping strings it is pure film music gold!

-Erik-

Now there's a Goldsmith score far more likely to land on my favourites list than TOTAL RECALL. I used this extensively for a temp track on my first film, and it goes without saying my composer had a hard time trying to get me to like his music as much as I did this with the resources he had at his disposal.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. My theory on my enjoyment of Total Recall is the totally addictive nature of the complex and rhythmic action cues that play in between the gorgeously brilliant melodies only Goldsmith could write. The Deluxe Edition was one of my all time best buys. smile

It was most decidedly some kind of 'Best of' score, and if you loved his late 80s style prior to it, you would find everything you could hope for in Total Recall, if not, well ... I shudder to think at that particular thought...

Jerry once said this was one he was VERY proud of. I'm proud of owning it. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    gorgeously brilliant melodies

shocked Where??? (other than the one at the end)
    my perceived lack of them is my whole problem with this score. I can tolerate and even enjoy the very unique Goldsmith "sound" (which before I became a film music fan was utterly strange and foreign to my late 90s/early 2000s ears) but only when it is interspersed with those brilliant melodies. But I don't hear them in Total Recall.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. What may sound boring to you may sound gorgeous to someone else... There are too many tracks on the DE that just send shivers down the spine, so I classify them in the gorgeous department, even if it's not a theme that's downright beautiful, but rather in the way it sounds or the orchestration or the buildup to some fantastical climax (like the whole 'The Mountain' - awesomely beautiful). I don't know if I'm talking rubbish here but I can't explain it any other way. It's Goldsmith man!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Look no further than Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orcehstra. They recorded the theme for their Great Fantasy Adventure Album and it contains a version of Total Recall with a "proper" ending. But looking back at your post you might already know that because the "ugly anvil sound" must be your description of the Kuznel recording.

-Erik-

Thanks for mentioning that version. Yeah, I have it, and the ending is better, indeed, and yes, there´s that anvil sound I mean, but it´s on every other version I know, too, be it the Prague´s or on Goldsmith´s very own Frontiers album. I think maybe he included that anvil himself on the actual sheets for any future concert play or rerecording, just to include something else instead of the synth sound, but it still doesn´t work for me. That whipping sound has such a different power that the variation just doesn´t feel right.

It´s the same, BTW, with most rerecordings of Anvil of Crom, which should work better, since it is an anvil in the original, but they don´t. There is not one rerecording out there that gets the original sound.

Strangely, the Kunzel album you mentioned has a fantastic version of the Terminator Theme, which also uses that anvil, if I remember correctly, and there, it works brilliantly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    What may sound boring to you may sound gorgeous to someone else... There are too many tracks on the DE that just send shivers down the spine, so I classify them in the gorgeous department, even if it's not a theme that's downright beautiful, but rather in the way it sounds or the orchestration or the buildup to some fantastical climax (like the whole 'The Mountain' - awesomely beautiful). I don't know if I'm talking rubbish here but I can't explain it any other way. It's Goldsmith man!

No, you're not talking rubbish, but again....MELODY is not what you take home with you when listening to this score. At least I don't. You may find beauty in the orchestration or TEXTURE, but the MELODIES and pronounced THEMES take a backseat in this score, whichever way you twist it. I don't mind that at all, but for those seeking those exact qualities, I can understand how it can be a turn-off.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    What may sound boring to you may sound gorgeous to someone else... There are too many tracks on the DE that just send shivers down the spine, so I classify them in the gorgeous department, even if it's not a theme that's downright beautiful, but rather in the way it sounds or the orchestration or the buildup to some fantastical climax (like the whole 'The Mountain' - awesomely beautiful). I don't know if I'm talking rubbish here but I can't explain it any other way. It's Goldsmith man!

No, you're not talking rubbish, but again....MELODY is not what you take home with you when listening to this score. At least I don't. You may find beauty in the orchestration or TEXTURE, but the MELODIES and pronounced THEMES take a backseat in this score, whichever way you twist it. I don't mind that at all, but for those seeking those exact qualities, I can understand how it can be a turn-off.

thing is Thor, in Total Recall (and many more goldsmith albums) the melodies are sometimes so intertwined with his textures you don't spot them that easily. But trust me, Goldsmith always writes a couple of themes, and he lets the themes do the talking, with around that the textures. Total Recall may be one of his most intruiging works of all, because you have to search deeper for the melodies due to the textures and rhythmic variations in the score. That is why most of us find it such a godsend, and something you just don't find anymore these anymore
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    the melody in "End of a Dream" Or whatever it's called is just plain awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    thing is Thor, in Total Recall (and many more goldsmith albums) the melodies are sometimes so intertwined with his textures you don't spot them that easily. But trust me, Goldsmith always writes a couple of themes, and he lets the themes do the talking, with around that the textures. Total Recall may be one of his most intruiging works of all, because you have to search deeper for the melodies due to the textures and rhythmic variations in the score. That is why most of us find it such a godsend, and something you just don't find anymore these anymore

Yes, of course, there IS melody in this score, but it's not the first thing that strikes you. It has other, more abstract qualities that are far more prominent. I'm all for "hiding" melodies behind complex layers of counterpoint or orchestration or whatever (I like a lot of Elfman's latest output, after all), but as I said, that's not for everyone.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yes, of course, there IS melody in this score, but it's not the first thing that strikes you. It has other, more abstract qualities that are far more prominent. I'm all for "hiding" melodies behind complex layers of counterpoint or orchestration or whatever (I like a lot of Elfman's latest output, after all), but as I said, that's not for everyone.

that's indeed true, I indeed adore like your the texture and depth in music, like Elfman does it. But I must be honest indeed by saying I just like Goldsmith's style more than Elfman's. And apparently the style is what attracts you to a score or not

well said bud wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    the melody in "End of a Dream" Or whatever it's called is just plain awesome.

That and 'The Mutant' are the two stand out tracks on a brilliant score!