• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote

thing is Thor, in Total Recall (and many more goldsmith albums) the melodies are sometimes so intertwined with his textures you don't spot them that easily. But trust me, Goldsmith always writes a couple of themes, and he lets the themes do the talking, with around that the textures. Total Recall may be one of his most intruiging works of all, because you have to search deeper for the melodies due to the textures and rhythmic variations in the score. That is why most of us find it such a godsend, and something you just don't find anymore these anymore

Dude you exactly took the words I was hoping to find and put them here in comprehensive form. Could not have hoped to say it better myself...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. tjguitar wrote
    the melody in "End of a Dream" Or whatever it's called is just plain awesome.

You mean A New Life?

End of a Dream is an amazing piece, but it doesn't have a lyrical theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Nope but I guess I actually meant the first track "The Dream". The one that Conan-ish.
  3. Oh yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Scribe wrote
    I get everything in that paragraph except for the last point: "extraordinary beauty"...that is something i have never heard in Total Recall. But fear not...I shall be listening to this score again...and again...and again...until I like it!

You can always try to return to it, bit I am not sure it will help. I am in the same situation with the music of the LOTR trilogy (except return of the King - I love that one) I tried more than once to like them but so far... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    You guys think we might be getting a 2 disc Gremlins from Intrada here soon ?
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    moonie wrote

The score's only an hour long, so probably not (of course they might easily find a way of padding it out so it lasts 80'01" and so has a $30 price tag instead of $20).

I think next week's release will be even bigger than that for most people (though I think it's mediocre).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Know something we don't James? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote

Like James said I don't see how you can justify Gremlins on 2CD's. However, a Gremlins twofer would be interesting. Gremlins on disc 1 and Gremlins 2 on disc 2.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

Like James said I don't see how you can justify Gremlins on 2CD's. However, a Gremlins twofer would be interesting. Gremlins on disc 1 and Gremlins 2 on disc 2.

-Erik-

What? Not even with the Peter Gabriel tracks plus demos and outtakes biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

-Erik-

That would be nice.

Gremlins is a really good score. Very deserving of the expanded treatment. I'd love to see it.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    we all know James is referring to his back to the future hate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    we all know James is referring to his back to the future hate.

I pray it's that certain score that we all love and he hates. That means one more copy for someone who truly will appreciate it. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't hate Back to the Future. Heck, I might even buy it on Monday. I just don't think it's as great as everyone else does.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    This is the same guy who gave 4 and a half stars to Troy.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're right as far as i am concerned, but it's evidently one of those no-go holy territories for 90% of film music fans wink

[edit]

i actually managed to see your reply and comment on it wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I don't hate Back to the Future. Heck, I might even buy it on Monday. I just don't think it's as great as everyone else does.

Ok... hate was a bad word. You have mentioned that you enjoy the main theme.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Honestly, after the BTTF and Indy Jones set I could retire from score collecting and be very happy with my collection. That's, of course, not going to happen, but BTTF seems to be the one that feels like it will always elude me.

4. I pray it's that certain score that we all love and he hates. That means one more copy for someone who truly will appreciate it.

Two more copies. wink

This is the same guy who gave 4 and a half stars to Troy.

Stone him! biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. biggrin
  6. I still hope that it's not BTTF. IMHO there's not much really good stuff in this score apart from the main theme and one or two other cues.

Chips, Romancing the Stone, Judgement Night, Delta Force,... I think we have seen enough bad Silvestri scores released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Antineutrino wrote
    I still hope that it's not BTTF. IMHO there's not much really good stuff in this score apart from the main theme and one or two other cues.

Good lord. You couldn't be more wrong. It's one of the best spotted films containing high octane action cues, wonderful use of the main theme, trademark Silvestri suspense cues, quirky music for Doc... and all of this is performed by a massive symphony orchestra. There is not one note out of place. IMHO, it's one of the greatest scores ever composed!

Anyway... this is a Goldsmith thread. wink

-Erik-
  7. is this tomorrow or next week they're anouncing the new CD of Goldsmith at Intrada? Because I don't want to miss this one

I'm guessing myself it will be Innerspace cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. YES Let's hope so, another one of Goldsmith's fun era. Or at least it was fun when we last saw and heard it... years ago. No seriously another of his forgotten little gems. We need it!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    is this tomorrow or next week they're anouncing the new CD of Goldsmith at Intrada? Because I don't want to miss this one

Innerspace would be most welcome, not much of Goldsmith's score made it onto the old release, same as Gremlins with half pop / half score.
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    is this tomorrow or next week they're anouncing the new CD of Goldsmith at Intrada? Because I don't want to miss this one

I think that it's tonight...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Yes, it's the Boys from Brazil complete score with a bonus disc with alternate cues and source cues conducted by Goldsmith.

Seems like an extension of The Omen with a hefty amount of Alien-styled brass layers. The score just isn't doing anything for me... I'm just puzzled at Goldsmith's popularity among fans (I do understand and appreciate his influence, but his music just doesn't connect with me).

You guys can get it, I'm not interested in it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  10. Matt C wrote
    Seems like an extension of The Omen with a hefty amount of Alien-styled brass layers. The score just isn't doing anything for me...

I've never heard anything from Boys From Brazil but the way you describe it... lick
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Seems like an extension of The Omen with a hefty amount of Alien-styled brass layers. The score just isn't doing anything for me...

I've never heard anything from Boys From Brazil but the way you describe it... lick

I won't be getting this.

I'm quite happy with the old release ( also presented on the new CD ), Alan, I think you'll enjoy this score, it's classic Goldsmith from his sublime mid - late 1970's period.