• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Alan, I think you'll enjoy this score, it's classic Goldsmith from his sublime mid - late 1970's period.

I thought so too so I ordered it.

BTW, I'm not sure that there's a need to add a second CD to the set. It's a presentation of the original album (better sound, re-recording from the period?) but as you point out Tim, there's a big suite of music that may not be an easy listen in such a big chunk? Plus, there's some additional source music.

Anyone else enjoying the frenzy on the FSM board?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Alan, I think you'll enjoy this score, it's classic Goldsmith from his sublime mid - late 1970's period.

BTW, I'm not sure that there's a need to add a second CD to the set. It's a presentation of the original album (better sound, re-recording from the period?) but as you point out Tim, there's a big suite of music that may not be an easy listen in such a big chunk? Plus, there's some additional source music.

It always makes me smile to see numerous threads on the same subject biggrin

We could be really naughty Alan and pop over to FSM and start a couple of new "fresh" threads for Boys From Brazil? devil wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I love this score , Ordered!!

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moonie wrote
    I love this score , Ordered!!

sd smile

now why does that not surprise me wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

It always makes me smile to see numerous threads on the same subject biggrin

We could be really naughty Alan and pop over to FSM and start a couple of new "fresh" threads for Boys From Brazil? devil wink

In fact Alan, just went and had a count and there are four separate threads for the Goldsmith release, two for the Richard Band and one Intrada thread covering both, that's SEVEN related threads in total! rolleyes

They must be geeks or something!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Continuing the Total Recall discussion:

After seeing this fantastic movie (in 1990) directed by my crazy fellow countryman, Paul Verhoeven... I asked my mom to get me this OST for Sinterklaas (the original Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) celebration) "Pakjes avond"... we call that. Family gathered together in the evening and then giving eachother presents etc. Its great... anyway.

It was my first ever OST I owned. Love it, love it, love it... of course I got the deluxe version later on as well, which is one of my absolute favourite scores. I like so much because its Goldsmith at his best, balsy aggressive action music with some great mystic awesome parts as well. But most importantly, it has leitmotifs, incredibly smartly used... but not very obvious, since these leitmotifs are sometimes "hidden" or slightly altered etc. Very smart action music, with many, many little musical ideas... sometimes, even after I listened to this score hundreds of times, I find myself smiling, having discovered another smart idea in this score. A treasure trove. The big finale action music is absolutely relentless, the music keeps on building, and the violins (especially towards the end of that track)are given a gruesome workout. Unbelievable, I guess they had to throw away their violion bows afterwards, totally worn out. What an action piece. Totally my kind of music. My thanks to Paul Verhoeven the director, for he really pushed Goldsmith to write this superb score. Verhoeven knew what Goldsmith was capable off, and didn't let him write a lame ass lazy and irritating score like US Marshall... man that score is irritating beyond belief.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Seems like an extension of The Omen with a hefty amount of Alien-styled brass layers. The score just isn't doing anything for me...

I've never heard anything from Boys From Brazil but the way you describe it... lick

They say the missing action music is quite thrilling, so indeed it kinda looks really interesting
    but I didn't need a second CD as well, just the one complete CD would have done it for me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing the suite on the second CD. It was the way Goldsmith originally arranged the old LP, and I'm sure it plays very well as a summary of the score. I can then explore the first cd after a bit of a suite summarising the score.

But I do agree with the general consensus that Intrada has managed once again to pull off getting a two-disc set again where one would seem to be enough. I imagine if they did CAPRICORN ONE again now, it would be a 2 disc set as well with the album re-recording also included.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Goldsmith Rules!! punk punk punk punk
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    But I do agree with the general consensus that Intrada has managed once again to pull off getting a two-disc set again where one would seem to be enough. I imagine if they did CAPRICORN ONE again now, it would be a 2 disc set as well with the album re-recording also included.

Actually, actually, I think this is a brilliant way to represent a score for the likes of Thor and myself. I have a couple of such issues (The Dark Crystal and The Wind And The Lion amongs them) where I myself never ever listen to the full score, just the full five-star album cut, which really is an excellent listen on every front: not too long, melodic and flowing well.

With regards to the heated discussions we have from time to time on "the best way to represent a score on CD" (which doesn't exist, obviously. Different strokes and all that.), this is a perfect solution that fits everyone.
    (except maybe those with budgetary restraints slant )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Actually, actually, I think this is a brilliant way to represent a score for the likes of Thor and myself. I have a couple of such issues (The Dark Crystal and The Wind And The Lion amongs them) where I myself never ever listen to the full score, just the full five-star album cut, which really is an excellent listen on every front: not too long, melodic and flowing well.

With regards to the heated discussions we have from time to time on "the best way to represent a score on CD" (which doesn't exist, obviously. Different strokes and all that.), this is a perfect solution that fits everyone.
    (except maybe those with budgetary restraints slant )

"budgetary restraints"? Yep, that's me too!

If money was flowing copiosly I'd definitely have got this release but as it is I'm saving my money for more important things like new clothes, bills ( slant ) and the Delerue box set.
  3. I was quite annoyed when a 2CD set of The Boys from Brazil was announced, with a price tag (including postage) of $37.99 US Dollars. With the crazy exchange rate at the moment, I ended up forking out over $45 Australian Dollars. Of course, I have no problem paying that price for something that I will listen to in its entirety, but the simple fact is that, with the complete score contained on the first disc, I won't ever listen to the album presentation on the second disc. The bonus tracks even less so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    I'm going to live with the LP.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    are you going to review it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Seems like there isn't much love for my two favourite Goldsmith scores on this thread: Lionheart and Under Fire. And also some of my other faves such as The Challenge, Gremlins 2, Hoosiers and The Swarm. Or did I just miss those posts?

I'm also a freak who ACTUALLY doesn't think tremendously much of StarTrek:TMP. I blame that on having grown up on The Next Generation shows and have been over-exposed to that main theme. I'm a much bigger fan of his ST5 and Insurrection.

What did the Vulcans say to the realtors who arranged the purchase of Planet Vulcan for them?
    "Live Long and Foster"
    J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Seems like there isn't much love for my two favourite Goldsmith scores on this thread: Lionheart and Under Fire. And also some of my other faves such as The Challenge, Gremlins 2, Hoosiers and The Swarm. Or did I just miss those posts?

I'm also a freak who ACTUALLY doesn't think tremendously much of StarTrek:TMP. I blame that on having grown up on The Next Generation shows and have been over-exposed to that main theme. I'm a much bigger fan of his ST5 and Insurrection.

What did the Vulcans say to the realtors who arranged the purchase of Planet Vulcan for them?
    "Live Long and Foster"
    J-F

"ouch!" biggrin wink

You must have missed some posts ( though you'd have to read through a lot of 'Now Playing' ), because there's an awful lot of love for JG's UNDER FIRE here on this board, not least from me, I think it's one of his very best scores.

The Challenge is seriously underrated but all the others you mention have their fans and detracters, personally I don't like HOOSIERS.

....and YES, you are a FREAK for not thinking much of one of the greatest film scores EVER written! wink
  4. Lionheart is one of my favourites. Sometimes it sounds as if Goldsmith wrote more themes for it than Williams for Star Wars.

I know why people wouldn´t like Hoosiers, but it´s the same with Lionheart or Extreme Prejudice, the synth part doesn´t annoy me, it is what gives these scores their special sound.
  5. tjguitar wrote
    are you going to review it?

we will probably review it, Baby is already reviewed months ago, so I'll bet Boys from Brazil will find its place here soon enough wink
  6. Nathaniel Carper wrote
    Lionheart is one of my favourites. Sometimes it sounds as if Goldsmith wrote more themes for it than Williams for Star Wars.

I know why people wouldn´t like Hoosiers, but it´s the same with Lionheart or Extreme Prejudice, the synth part doesn´t annoy me, it is what gives these scores their special sound.

Lionheart is one of my favorites as well, Hoosiers is fun because as you've said it, the sound fits with the score, it what makes it unique
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nathaniel Carper wrote
    Lionheart is one of my favourites. Sometimes it sounds as if Goldsmith wrote more themes for it than Williams for Star Wars.

Exactly. If I didn't like synth and "dated" scores, I wouldn't harbour as much adoration for Bill Conti as I do!

Lionheart was also one of my very first Goldsmiths. There's always something special about your first introduction to a composer, like what "Dances with Wolves" did for me with John Barry and "The Rock" did for me with that "Media Venture sound".

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    ....and YES, you are a FREAK for not thinking much of one of the greatest film scores EVER written! wink

...I prefer being called "alien" than freak. wink
    J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    punk punk punk punk The Boys were in my mailbox today!!!!!!!!!!! punk punk punk
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

J-F

I used your own word tongue smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

J-F

Us freaks like to change our minds.
    Er, I mean aliens.
  7. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

J-F

Us freaks like to change our minds.
    Er, I mean aliens.

Nothing wrong with FREAK wink

Better to be a film score freak than a pop music freak punk

though i'm a bit of everything freak biggrin
  8. And that's good. I opened myself on the song world recently and proud of it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I went to a Sigur Ros concert last weekend. It was my very first pop music concert.

Actually very nice, and harmonious but I still longed to hear the Lawrence of Arabia overture live again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    HeeroJF wrote

"Live Long and Foster"
    J-F[/quote

I always wonder why the fantastic Goldsmith OST for "Night Crossing" (regular and expanded versions) are seldomly / never discussed? Its one of my favourite Goldsmith scores. Wonderful military, exiting main title. Truly wonderful flying music etc. etc. ... its just a fantastic gem! For those who are reading this and don't know this score... search for it, and if you can find it... GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    You're right, Night Crossing verily deserves to be discussed. And thus... we now just did! ^__^

And I couldn't agree more. It's classic Goldsmith. I especially encourage getting the expanded version.