• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Currently I'm reviewing Seconds and I.Q. two completely different styles of scores.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I really like Seconds. Not listened to I.Q.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    My first listen to I.Q. wasn't pleasant for me but it has certainly improved on further listening.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's really quite pleasant I think (IQ) but I'm not sure I need a CD of it. It's a perfect score for a surprisingly good film but Goldsmith apparently didn't want it to be released because he didn't think it would work on CD.
  2. timme wrote
    What a week this is! First Back To The Future 2cd set and now one of my last holy grails, INNERSPACE. Can't wait for next tuesday.

I think that's tuesday in a week, because it's every 2 weeks
    but yes, it has been an amazing year actually for special releases, just look at the wealth of Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner releases punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I think that's tuesday in a week, because it's every 2 weeks

No, it's Tuesday Dec 1 - in two days!!!! smile
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm working on a review of I.Q./Seconds
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    INNERSPACE... I will get that one... quirky fun and epic! Can't see any link to order it yet?

Only this:

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2009/11/l … omment-852
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    It will be available to order on Dec 1.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/12/02/i … goldsmith/

For those of you on the fence have a read
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As I've said before, this release is not for me. I have to say though Tom, I'm liking your reviews, very concise and to the point, well done. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. more goldsmith for you to enjoy

- Deep Rising
    - Dennis the Menace
    - One Little Indian

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Well I ordered INNERSPACE. There wasn't a doubt in my mind I would though. I've loved it since watching the movie when I was little. Though I agree it's not as inspired as some other Dante / Goldsmith outings such as Gremlins, The Burbs or Small Soldiers my collection can't do without it. The music never fails to put a smile on my face. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well I ordered INNERSPACE. There wasn't a doubt in my mind I would though. I've loved it since watching the movie when I was little. Though I agree it's not as inspired as some other Dante / Goldsmith outings such as Gremlins, The Burbs or Small Soldiers my collection can't do without it. The music never fails to put a smile on my face. cheesy

The film's fun (and nostalgic for me!), the music does absolutely nothing for me, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks for the compliment Tim. Practice is improving my technique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    I also put the review up on Maintitles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I have a question is it really worth buying Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox 6 Disc collection?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    I have a question is it really worth buying Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century Fox 6 Disc collection?

It's not an easy one to find!

I have to say, I rarely listen to anything on it. I already have full albums from scores on three of the discs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Just received my order confirmation of Innerspace. Love the music, a kind of Leviathan meets Total Recall. What a great release. I only had the regular Geffen cd previously.

Somebody mentioned Explorers also needed a re-release, but that album contains already a nice selection doesn't it? I have it somewhere in my archive abroad. Can't recall the movie had lots of extra music... maybe only some "playfull" music for the Aliens. (uninteresting) But besides that I guess most of the orchestral stuff is featured on the album already...

Another thing, sometimes I do read that people are looking for an expanded version of Masada. But the part of the score composed by Goldsmith doesn't really contain a lot of extra stuff. I have the extended TV score version and only some middle eastern sounding stuff, following the melody of Masada is the only fun and interesting extension though, as well as the short but satisfying end title track. Altogether the extended TV score by Goldsmith only has 10 minutes or so of extra stuff, but nothing essential. (besides the end title track, and middle eastern sounding track)

The re-recording of Masada is vastly superior and impressive, but sadly OOP.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    I agree with you about both Explorers and Masada. I guess the only purpose for another release would simply be to make them available again (since both are so hard to find).

I've certainly never understood the clamour for an expanded Masada. The re-recording done for the first album is miles better than the original tracks as an album experience. And when I watched Explorers I didn't notice any music at all which isn't on the Varese album - I'm sure there is some, but it can't be very important if I didn't notice it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Oh but there is! There's an entire sub-theme used for Dick Miller's character. It musically represents his yearning for cosmic contact. Quite an ethereal piece too. Plus a few short tracks that are more than just "quirky". I've been waiting half my life for a complete release!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I too would appreciate an expanded release of EXPLORERS, plus I only ever owned it on LP.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've always wondered how many people would be willing to purchase an entire score including material started by the composer but he decided to change his mind and redo it. You might have hours and hours of music for a 35 minute score.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? For me, it would be interesting to listen to just the once, to hear the development of ideas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So you would buy for example a (6) CD set of Explorers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I've always wondered how many people would be willing to purchase an entire score including material started by the composer but he decided to change his mind and redo it. You might have hours and hours of music for a 35 minute score.
    Thomas

Well, that's pretty much what the Intrada Back To The Future album is like. You get to hear the early original versions of what would eventually become classic cues on Disc 2. For example, I think it's absolutely fascinating to hear an almost completely different version of the Clocktower sequence.

Another example would be the five different version of the Star Wars main theme that ends Disc 1 on the RCA Special Edition soundtrack. I think it's great that we get the opportunity to hear how the theme was developed and fleshed out before the editors took 3 of those takes to create the classic theme we hear now!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps there is an untapped market
    Thomas
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Well, that's pretty much what the Intrada Back To The Future album is like. You get to hear the early original versions of what would eventually become classic cues on Disc 2. For example, I think it's absolutely fascinating to hear an almost completely different version of the Clocktower sequence.

-Erik-

Looking forward to hearing those completely different versions. How's the sound on both discs by the way?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I might be curious to hear one score sometime if possible but not as an everyday thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Looking forward to hearing those completely different versions. How's the sound on both discs by the way?

Stunning! I'm a big fan of Dennis Sands and the remastering of this score is absolutely brilliant!

-Erik-