• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    Steven wrote
    I used to have some Morricone CDs until I sold them. I think I still have The Good, The Bad & The Ugly... but I gave that to my Dad.

Your loss. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    You sold Explorers ? How can you get rid of FUN ?????

The day you atone for any sins committed during your lifetime, this is one you will NOT be forgiven for... mark my words !!

Yeah, over the years I've gotten rid of HOLLOW MAN, THE HAUNTING, POWDER, CONGO, THE RIVER WILD, SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY, INNERSPACE, KING SOLOMON'S MINES, EXPLORERS, SUPERGIRL, THE SECRET OF NIMH, MACARTHUR, LOGAN'S RUN, HAWKINS ON MURDER/WINTER KILL/BABE, RANSOM and THE BLUE MAX. I also have some on my current sales list that have not sold yet: RIO GOLDSMITH (compilation for free!), THE OMEN (original), BANDOLERO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    I used to have some Morricone CDs until I sold them. I think I still have The Good, The Bad & The Ugly... but I gave that to my Dad.

Your loss. wink

Not if I don't like them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, over the years I've gotten rid of
    POWDER
    THE SECRET OF NIMH
    THE BLUE MAX

I´m lost for words.
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    POWDER
    THE SECRET OF NIMH
    THE BLUE MAX

I´m lost for words.

"Getting rid" of CDs isn't so much of an issue nowadays with ripping being so common. But if these off-loads were pre-ripping then goodness (for Powder at least.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    POWDER
    THE SECRET OF NIMH
    THE BLUE MAX

I´m lost for words.

"Getting rid" of CDs isn't so much of an issue nowadays with ripping being so common. But if these off-loads were pre-ripping then goodness (for Powder at least.)

POWDER was. The other two weren't, and I still have them in iTunes. I'm considering deleting them, though, not only "morally", but really because I don't like them very much.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    ...I'm considering deleting them, though, not only "morally", but really because I don't like them very much.

Are you saying that, because you no longer own the CDs you don't feel you should keep the mp3s you made?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...I'm considering deleting them, though, not only "morally", but really because I don't like them very much.

Are you saying that, because you no longer own the CDs you don't feel you should keep the mp3s you made?

Correct.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    POWDER
    THE SECRET OF NIMH
    THE BLUE MAX

I´m lost for words.

Indeed.

We have a Goldsmith hater... didn't know one existed. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Okaaaaaaayyy now... we won't have Thor up front of the crowd as an advocate during the next International Digital Rights Colloquim.... (nothing to do with his views on Goldsmith either)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote
    POWDER
    THE SECRET OF NIMH
    THE BLUE MAX

I´m lost for words.

POWDER was. The other two weren't, and I still have them in iTunes. I'm considering deleting them, though, not only "morally", but really because I don't like them very much.

I like your honesty. At some point I'd like to steal myself to be strong and go through my CD collection and get rid of what I don't want / like. It'll be great to get it to a manageable size.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    I like your honesty. At some point I'd like to steal myself to be strong and go through my CD collection and get rid of what I don't want / like. It'll be great to get it to a manageable size.

I'd certainly like to do this myself. It has been ages since I actually put a physical CD in the player and listened to it. 99% of my time is with mp3/wma files and I wonder sometimes what the use of having all these CDs lying around not doing anything. The majority are in boxes, littering the house.

I have 2 copies of each score (PC hard drive and external back up) and an additional 2 copies of all 8,000 "favourites" on my 2 mp3 players (which amounts to 16+ days of continuous music) so I don't need to keep the CDs.

I therefore wouldn't agree with Thor's (and the legal stance?) of deleting the music once I sold the CDs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You could make a film music castle with them? You'd be the king of course.
  6. One of the things I've been wondering is how best to access the digital CDs I have on my PC (and external hard drive)?

My ideal scenario would be to be able to have access to all my CDs that I have ripped (and playlists) using my TV as the interface. My ideal scenario would be to flick (in an iPod way) through the albums, selecting which one to listen to - all from the comfort of my armchair.

My rudimentary knowledge limits me to thinking that either I'd have some sort of link between my current PC and the TV (through a connection I have no knowledge of at the moment) or to have a media centre(?) that is directly linked to the TV and that is distinct from my PC. And this would also be able to play CD/DVD discs.

Is this feasible at the moment?
  7. THE BLUE MAX!!!

punk punk

Sold. To me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    One of Goldsmith's top five scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This is just too good to pass up for me, it's one of my top scores so it's a must!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Just to balance things out, I don't listen to my Legacy CD very much and don't feel the need to upgrade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just to balance things out, I don't listen to my Legacy CD very much and don't feel the need to upgrade.

The improved sound quality might change your mind. I can't wait to "hear" this version.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just to balance things out, I don't listen to my Legacy CD very much and don't feel the need to upgrade.

The improved sound quality might chance your mind. I can't wait to "hear" this version.

-Erik-

I've gone through 2 version of this score already, and you can clearly hear, even with the 96kbs encryption, that the sound is definitively improved. My order can't come soon enough!!!
  9. I'm still undecided as to whether I should get it... I heard the older release one, but it didn't win me over. I love the suite on one of Goldsmith's compilation albums though. To those in the know, will this one be selling fast?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This is one of my least favourite Goldsmith scores of all time. I had the Sony CD for many years, and gave it DOZENS of chances, but I think it only happened once or twice that I actually managed to stay through the whole thing. To me, it was simply too bombastic, lots of "screaming" brass and percussion that went on and on. It's the complete anti-thesis of what I like to listen to these days. So I sold it off just a few months ago.

Still, it's good to know that they cleaned up the sound a bit for this one. While the Sony was perfectly OK for its age, it still had a way to go and I'm glad they found the right source elements to fix it up.

I'd like to see the film some day. I'm sure it's fine and appropriately "rousing" in context.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What about the 16 minute suite on the Jerry Goldsmith Suites & Themes album? And also, what's the deal with you not liking "bombastic" music anymore?! It's utterly beyond me how anyone can stop liking properly good brassy film music! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    What about the 16 minute suite on the Jerry Goldsmith Suites & Themes album? And also, what's the deal with you not liking "bombastic" music anymore?! It's utterly beyond me how anyone can stop liking properly good brassy film music! dizzy

Yeah, that suite may be more up my alley, even though in this case it's a matter of not liking the MUSIC, period.

Actually, once in a while I'll still play something "bombastic" (how can I not, when it makes up about 85% of my soundtrack collection?). Right now, it's David Newman's BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, for example. And Rammstein is a favourite band of mine. But with the tinnitus and some other stuff, I spend FAR more time with the little calm music I've got.

Don't you picture a time when your taste may "shift" a bit, young padawan?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't foresee that happening any time soon to be honest. My tastes, my preferences, are still very similar to what they were 10 years ago - they've just expanded a lot since then. My favourite film composers will no doubt remain to be John, Jerry and James. But I've certainly discovered a lot in those 10 years. And contrary to what a certain Greek might think, I'm just as passionate about the 'calm' stuff too.

Sure, there might come a day when I settle down a bit and I'll listen to more calming music more often. But I know deep down that my passion for loud, brassy, in-your-face orchestral and film music will not wither so easily! Call it faith, if you want. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Sure, there might come a day when I settle down a bit and I'll listen to more calming music more often. But I know deep down that my passion for loud, brassy, in-your-face orchestral and film music will not wither so easily! Call it faith, if you want. wink

He, he...yeah, I always knew you were a man of faith, Steven.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have to say that even though I love both The Blue Max and Islands in the Stream (particularly the latter - part of my Goldsmith top five) I was in two minds over whether to buy either of these because of having the earlier albums. But then, as is typical, I bought both. I'm no audiophile but it will be very nice to hear Blue Max in better sound (and the album looks like it's assembled far more sensibly) and I decided Islands in the Stream is enough of a favourite that owning two different recordings is no bad thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I have to say that even though I love both The Blue Max and Islands in the Stream (particularly the latter - part of my Goldsmith top five) I was in two minds over whether to buy either of these because of having the earlier albums. But then, as is typical, I bought both. I'm no audiophile but it will be very nice to hear Blue Max in better sound (and the album looks like it's assembled far more sensibly) and I decided Islands in the Stream is enough of a favourite that owning two different recordings is no bad thing.

There is some particularly fine action writing which Goldsmith left out in his re-recording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't foresee that happening any time soon to be honest. My tastes, my preferences, are still very similar to what they were 10 years ago - they've just expanded a lot since then. My favourite film composers will no doubt remain to be John, Jerry and James. But I've certainly discovered a lot in those 10 years. And contrary to what a certain Greek might think, I'm just as passionate about the 'calm' stuff too.

I've been into film music for 35 years now. As you get older you'll find certain scores you loved may not have as much appeal later on but the reverse is true also, where you'll find new found appreciation, as I've said before, I need all styles and pace in my music and I don't see any of that diminishing.

Thor, The Blue Max is a great film, well worth your time and if that isn't enough Ursula Andress gets her fun bags out for the lads too*. lick cool

*a scene that's always edited for TV showings except when I saw it on Channel 5 last year in an afternoon showing, I'm surprised that slipped through the censor.