• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    You can't not enjoy Goldsmith's horror scores, esp. Poltergeist and the Omen trilogy, it's all brilliant film music.

On the other hand, you like Edward Scissorhands. And The Kingdom, if i recall correctly. wink tongue

I love Edward Scissorhands, but dislike The Kingdom.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Though, I prefer The Kingdom to many other scores in a similar style.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Manwe wrote
    Strange and frankly a bit annoying. I found three more limited release CDs listed as available which turned out to be unavailable. Annoying. slant

It's better than Footlight Records or SAE, where you can actually pass the point of purchase (and your card can even be charged sometimes) without the CDs actually ever being there. Footlight would later refund the charge when they realised they didn't have the cd, and you would usually only find out for sure what you had when it came in the mail. SAE can sometimes take months to backorder something which is apparently there for purchasing.

What I suspect happens at movie music is that once the customer selects the item, there's a database request issued to the Florida-based shipping company Peter uses for a lot of new releases. If it isn't in stock, it will tell you. It's a more manageable and affordable real-time order management system than a continuous live link between all website pages that might be looked at and the inventory. By this system, Peter would only be paying for the bandwidth/traffic every time someone actually indicated a desire to purchase an item, rather than every time someone looked at an item. It's similar to the way concert tickets online.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    You can't not enjoy Goldsmith's horror scores, esp. Poltergeist and the Omen trilogy, it's all brilliant film music.

On the other hand, you like Edward Scissorhands. And The Kingdom, if i recall correctly. wink tongue

I love that score, but it helps if you like post-rock in general (artists such as Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Pelican, Mono etc.), as it's pretty much molded in that style. I think Bregt will like it, since I know he has an affection for Sigur Ros.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Frank wrote
    Lukas Kendall has revealed on the FSM message board that they will release a 2 CD-set of Poltergeist later this year. Mike Matessino is going back to the source elements to improve upon the Rhino edition and also add a second disc of alternates and the LP program.

That's great news indeed!

Poltergeist is a great album - and more music (as well as alternates) will be most welcome. I hope that this release will mirror the release of Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan and not be too limited.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Poltergeist is so much more than a simple horror score. It's more of a family adventure score under the guise of a horror score. So although it's still part of the horror genre, there's a lot more to enjoy than just "scary music" (Carol Anne's theme, for example).

I really am shocked, this is a great example of Goldsmith at the pinnacle of his career. It's a classic. Still, if you don't enjoy, that's fair enough I guess.

Yes, "Carol Anne's Theme" is pretty nice, but that was basically the only thing I liked about it. I gave it a lot of chances, though. It was just too....dare I say it, bombastic for me.

I like THE OMEN, though.

You like The Omen and not Poltergiest? AND you find Poltergiest too bombastic!?

uhm

shocked

You.... I... *heavy breathing*.... I.... need to... go.... go lie down... oh god...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Poltergeist is so much more than a simple horror score. It's more of a family adventure score under the guise of a horror score. So although it's still part of the horror genre, there's a lot more to enjoy than just "scary music" (Carol Anne's theme, for example).

I really am shocked, this is a great example of Goldsmith at the pinnacle of his career. It's a classic. Still, if you don't enjoy, that's fair enough I guess.

Yes, "Carol Anne's Theme" is pretty nice, but that was basically the only thing I liked about it. I gave it a lot of chances, though. It was just too....dare I say it, bombastic for me.

I like THE OMEN, though.

The Light?, Rebirth?....oh welll!? rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Scissorhands is a choral style I truly dislike, I find it saccharine and sickly, I know a lot of people love it but it just isn't for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I like THE OMEN, though.

Twisted Abduction !!!!! My favourite from that score.

I will not be buying this new release. The release I have is wonderful enough. Just the right amount of everything: beauty, magic and horror. What a combination !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    The release I have is wonderful enough. Just the right amount of everything: beauty, magic and horror. What a combination !!!

Quite so. smile
    While I laud FSM for getting beyond Golden and Silver Age releases, the current release fully satisfies me.
    I'm sure the C&C mob will be ecstatic though. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The release I have is wonderful enough. Just the right amount of everything: beauty, magic and horror. What a combination !!!

Quite so. smile
    While I laud FSM for getting beyond Golden and Silver Age releases, the current release fully satisfies me.
    I'm sure the C&C mob will be ecstatic though. smile

They usually are.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ooooo....very acerbic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ...and true. In general terms (there are of course specific exceptions), apart from Varese Club, all of the soundtrack labels releasing older scores aim them at "the C&C mob". It's only Varese which seems to put listening experience first (or, actually, anywhere) on its list of priorities. (Moviescore Media does too, but that's mostly new scores and we're talking about older ones here.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, I find the current trend, embraced by FSM and Intrada, to include the original album release (usually cleaned up) into their issue a very heartening development!

In fact, that's why I bought the Rozsa box.
    Again -like with the Bernstein box- I was tempted by one single Rozsa album rerelease in the entire package... shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I like THE OMEN, though.

Rebirth is a cue of Star Trek: The Motion Picture-like proportions. It's brilliant! I find it hard to fathom that a score fan like Thor, whom likes Goldsmith, doesn't appreciate that particular cue! Bombastic or not ( rolleyes ), it's a fine piece of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As Spielberg described in the original liner notes, 'cathedral like beauty' sums it up nicely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And wasn't Thor looking for religious-like music recently? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Hey, I find the current trend, embraced by FSM and Intrada, to include the original album release (usually cleaned up) into their issue a very heartening development!

Yeah, that's very welcome.
  5. Steven wrote

Yes but I think his ears can't stand the likes of 'Rebirth' anymore, which is a pity. shame It's one of his best all-time compositions IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes but I think his ears can't stand the likes of 'Rebirth' anymore, which is a pity. shame It's one of his best all-time compositions IMO.

I can't find any "religious sound" in that score. In fact, I can't find it in ANY Goldsmith score (no, not even the "Second Coming" cue from FINAL CONFLICT, which just seems hokey and pretty without any depth). He just wasn't into that. I've tried to like POLTERGEIST for many years, but except for the Carol Anne theme and a few snippets here and there, it simply does nothing for me (except to grate).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    :Thor-fail:

'The Final Conflict' from, well, The Final Conflict (the last track on the deluxe album) is religious-sounding. That's a fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Thor means by "religious sound". Final Conflict and Poltergeist would be at numbers one and two of my list of scores which have a religious sound.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Thor means by "religious sound". Final Conflict and Poltergeist would be at numbers one and two of my list of scores which have a religious sound.

It's a specific "religious" sound that Thor is after, particularly found in some works by John Williams ( Restoration from Jane Eyre or Audience With The Holy Father from Monsignor for example ) and most notably in Ralph Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm. But 'hokey' and 'without any depth' The Final Conflict most certainly is not!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Hmm. But 'hokey' and 'without any depth' The Final Conflict most certainly is not!

He was referring to Trial Run and Second Coming, both tracks are utterly gorgeous and would be included if I ever did some kind of "religious" compilation, that sound contained in both of those tracks is a winner for me but then, I am a huge fan of the works of Debussy and Ravel, both huge influences on those tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It's a specific "religious" sound that Thor is after, particularly found in some works by John Williams ( Restoration from Jane Eyre or Audience With The Holy Father from Monsignor for example ) and most notably in Ralph Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia.

OK, I see. In that case I'd have thought some of the modal writing in Poltergeist was just what he was looking for.

Obviously I disagree with him about Final Conflict being hokey and without depth. But that's probably just an opinion thing - Thor is certainly not a Goldsmith fanatic if memory serves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

OK, I see. In that case I'd have thought some of the modal writing in Poltergeist was just what he was looking for.

Obviously I disagree with him about Final Conflict being hokey and without depth. But that's probably just an opinion thing - Thor is certainly not a Goldsmith fanatic if memory serves.

Well, I probably have around 50 titles, and once owned at least 20 more, so I'm definitely a fan (which, curiously, is short for fanatic). But probably not as much as most film score fans around here and FSM. Goldsmith was good at many things....the religious sound (my version of it) was not one of them.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. On the back of my comments on Medicine Man and The Secret of N.I.M.H. here's 20 Goldsmith scores I'd place above these two as my own personal favourites:

The Sand Pebbles
    Planet of The Apes
    100 Rifles
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Take A Hard Ride
    The Omen
    The Cassandra Crossing
    Damien: Omen II
    The Boys From Brazil
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Alien
    The Final Conflict
    Poltergeist
    First Blood
    Supergirl
    Rambo - First Blood: Part II
    Total Recall
    Powder
    Mulan
    The Mummy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    Well, that's such a strong list it can't be disagreed with wink

Just comes down to taste and opinion. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    Holy crapamonga! There's no Russia House in that list. Not a fan of that score eh, Alan?