• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    Steven wrote
    'First Flight' is classic Goldsmith. love

Ask any Goldsmith fan of this score they're fave track and they'll all say 'First Flight' cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Ask any Goldsmith fan of this score they're fave track and they'll all say 'First Flight' cool

Hmm. Do you want to ask me?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited
    Yes James, I do.

James, what is your favourite track from Jerry Goldsmith's Night Crossing?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks for asking Tim! It's "First Flight".
  1. You don't say !!!! shocked

Before I die I intend to get this legally, the expanded I mean. The music is just too damn good to have on CD-R.

Before I die I would like to know of a shop actually selling it for a reasonable price.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What's your favourite track from the album, Gilles?
  2. First Test ....

rolleyes

No, Tomorrow We go

rolleyes rolleyes

Once again, Prologue

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Oh shucks I give up...

FIRST FLIGHT

punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good choice Gilles, First Flight is my favourite too.
  3. applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    First Flight is good but First Flight is better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spoken by the man who knows his film music.
  4. Just to vote against Erik, I´d say First Flight is MUCH better than what he suggested. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    I don't know Night Crossing.
    Can I vote for Lady Gaga instead?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I don't know Night Crossing.
    Can I vote for Lady Gaga instead?

For you I would suggest Night Nurse.
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Just to vote against Erik, I´d say First Flight is MUCH better than what he suggested. wink

I agree with both you and Erik.

But I can't say which First Flight is better than the other. It already confuses the hell out of me. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    But I can't say which First Flight is better than the other. It already confuses the hell out of me. dizzy

I really like the First Flight cue that comes first. But then I hear First Flight later and I'm like "Yeah, First Flight is really good. I think I like it better than First Flight but First Flight is still pretty good as well." So I think we can all agree that First Flight is the best but First Flight is a very close second... errr... first... ummm... flight.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I want it on the record that i regret the following post:

Steven wrote
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I really like the First Flight cue that comes first. But then I hear First Flight later and I'm like "Yeah, First Flight is really good. I think I like it better than First Flight but First Flight is still pretty good as well." So I think we can all agree that First Flight is the best but First Flight is a very close second... errr... first... ummm... flight.

-Erik-

CONFUSING POST OF THE DAY !!!
  7. Steven wrote
    I want it on the record that i regret the following post:

Steven wrote

Oh I already forgot who started this...

Thanks for reminding me.

kill explode
  8. But it´s a fact that this flight flew first. That will never change. History has spoken.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Anyone dweeb enough to look up how many track titles on Jerry Goldsmith albums are titled First Flight? cheesy
  9. As many as A New Life?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    POWDER theme "cover", sung by Sarah Brightman... I think its lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft79ruh3G2o

Jerry Goldsmith's beautiful main theme from "Powder" re-recorded with lyrics by Sarah Brightman. (the ex-Mrs Andrew Lloyd-Webber, who appeared in the original staging of Webber "Phantom of the Opera" musical). Goldsmith mentioned during one of his concerts in London with the London Symphony Orchestra that Miss Brightman had recorded a vocal version of the theme - apparently she heard the music from the movie and loved the theme so much that she asked for lyrics to be written so she could sing it. (she obviously has impeccable taste!)

Text is based on some comment someone made in a forum years ago.

Title of the album "Time to Say Goodbye"

Another good album of Brightman is "Symphony"
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    I actually have that album (bought just for the Powder song).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pass.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I actually have that album (bought just for the Powder song).

yeah right rolleyes wink
  10. a couple of Goldsmith reviews to kill the time with (as I'm working on a composer update in the meantime):

- The Edge
    - King Solomon's Mines
    - The Last Castle
    - Papillon

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Very well written buddy, don't let what other 'professional' reviewers say get to you.

This was one of my favourites:

The main theme returns in "Under the Train" and the exciting "Dancing Shots". Their build up in suspense is what Goldsmith could do like no other. However if one talks about the brilliance of Goldsmith in action mode, one must not look further than "Forced Flight". This is a brilliant example of 3 themes working all as one, layered around a building suspense formula. The drums pound, the brass states the Nazi motif, the main theme and the love theme all between one another. Ladies and Gentleman, this is what filmmusic is all about.

Or this:

Papillon is an album I've ignored for far too long. Yes, I've heard it before a long time ago, but not like this, and not the way it deserves to be approached. This is an album that delivers its qualities differently. Or restrained or through a sole simple main theme of perfection. Once again, it shows you that Jerry Goldsmith wrote music unlike no other, with a far deeper understanding for the picture itself than most composers could ever see. Of course the collaboration with his friend Schaffner as the quality of the movie before him left Goldsmith with the opportunity to delve deeper and stronger in the mind than ever before. But in the end Papillon is simply an emotional journey that moves like a butterfly. Meaning, once it transforms before your very eyes, you'll be amazed by the beauty of it. Never again will I forget that.

As some other people have said:

KEEP REVIEWING DUDE !!! beer

And you gave Papillon a whopping 5 stars? shocked I will have to listen to it with better ears then !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    I have the same problem with Papillon as with most of Jerry's other scores: one or two wonderful themes but the rest is just not my cup of tea.
  12. keky wrote
    I have the same problem with Papillon as with most of Jerry's other scores: one or two wonderful themes but the rest is just not my cup of tea.

I can understand that, but the last time it really opened my eyes, when I understood that it was not only the music but the thought behind it that made the music soar, Jerry is now officially my favourite composer, probably ever smile

DreamTheater wrote
    Very well written buddy, don't let what other 'professional' reviewers say get to you.

As some other people have said:

KEEP REVIEWING DUDE !!! beer

And you gave Papillon a whopping 5 stars? shocked I will have to listen to it with better ears then !!

thanks dude, means a lot to hear that smile
    and yes, you should listen to that one again, but I don't think it will move you like it moved me, there was simply a connection that made me open my eyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh