• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    Well, depends on the copies printed and loyalties; there's a possibility that a title which sells 75% of the printed copies MIGHT bring more cash in than a sold out title that cost more to the company or was printed in lesser amount of copies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. No, the deciding factor is storage fees if it can't be housed at HQ, and the re-use fees. If they don't make back enough money to pay for what they paid for the fees, then they don't turn the profit necessary to operate properly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    Does anyone notice Chinatow's "bells" in Star Trek Nemesis?

Wich instrument is that??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    Chinatow???

If you mean Chinatown then be more specific, which tracks are you talking about?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010 edited
    shocked

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    The Golng Up Of David Lev
    BSXCD 8874
    Music by Jerry Goldsmith

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records will be releasing THE GOING UP OF DAVID LEV, featuring music composed and conducted by the great Jerry Goldsmith for the 1973 television film directed by James Collier and starring Brandon Cruz (THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE’S FATHER), Topol (in his American television debut) along with Claire Bloom and Melvyn Douglas.

THE GOING UP OF DAVID LEV tells the story of a ten year old boy growing up in present day Israel who goes on a journey to find out more about his father who lost his life years earlier during the fighting of the Six Day War. David (Cruz) skips school and finds a sympathetic cab driver (Topol) who drives the boy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, teaching him about the history of his country and helping him to discover what he needs to know about his father’s death along the way.

Prepared in anticipation of the 25th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel, producer Mildred Freed Alberg and director James Collier set out to make a film that would showcase the sights and sounds of contemporary Israel and would also be accessible to a modern television audience. To compose the music for DAVID LEV, the filmmakers sought out the services of one of the finest composers working at that time in film and television, Jerry Goldsmith. 1973 was already a busy year for Goldsmith, working on THE WALTONS, BARNABY JONES, HAWKINS and POLICE STORY, as well as another version of THE RED PONY for television. And he was also about to get married! Despite this hectic time in his life, Goldsmith took the assignment, perhaps because DAVID LEV offered the composer an opportunity he had been looking for, the chance to immerse himself in the music of his Jewish heritage. The next year, he would return to this territory with QBVII and again once more in 1981 with MASADA. For these later efforts, he would receive two Emmys. Goldsmith’s exuberant and ultimately poignant music for THE GOING UP OF DAVID LEV uses traditional folk instruments including guitar, recorder, accordion, clarinet and tambourine.

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records presents THE GOING UP OF DAVID LEV, featuring music composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith, is taken from mono tape (the only available source) and has been digitally edited and mastered by James Nelson at Digital Outland, with liner notes written by Jon Burlingame. Also included are two songs from the film with vocals by Topol. THE GOING UP OF DAVID LEV is a limited edition release of 2000 units.

$15.95

1. Main Title (1:15)
    2. Last Thoughts (1:03)
    3. Thoughts Again (0:37)
    4. Ask the Doctor ((1:30)
    5. Accepting Reality (1:23)
    6. Don't Miss The Bus (1:18)
    7. Intro/A Girl With Ribbons In Her Hair (3:03)
    Written by Yair Rosenblum
    Lyrics by Norman Newell
    Performed by Topol

8. The Kibbutz (4:18)
    9. Chiribim (3:23)
    Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
    Performed by Topol

10. Sleepy Boy (2:37)
    11. No Information (0:49)
    12. The Old City (2:23)
    13.A New Friend (2:16)
    14. A Sin Against God (1:37)
    15. The Legend (5:39)

Total Time (33:46)
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    Clips sound very nice. This is, like, Goldsmith's FIDDLER ON THE ROOF or something?

Too bad it's from a label I've chosen not to support.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. ^^^ Agree half-way, but here's a loophole to consider:

If you buy it from SAE -- they've already paid BSX, so you'd be paying SAE and they'd also make a small profit. WIN/WIN (sort of). There's a loophole in the loophole, but I'll skip that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010 edited
    And if you illegally download and share it as well, you're solid. Y'know what, you should buy it, rip it and share it along the web. That'll give 'em the finger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    Too bad I've chosen not to support illegal downloads.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    RAMBO IV scene, edited with the music from Jerry Goldsmith. (instead of the used Brian Tyler music) SO MUCH BETTER!!! (even though I like some of Tyler works though)

But nothing can beat Goldsmith stuff for Rambo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCsKl_qa3w

It raises the movie... and it gives the old vibe back.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    Yep , surely gives it the old vibe back which it was definitely lacking now !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Wow! What is the world coming to when a film score board doesn't mention a new release by one of it's greatest legends shocked

Intrada release BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL / STEP OUT OF LINE

I guess it's next to pointless mentioning the other Intrada release featuring a score by Gil Melle?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Meh.... sleep
    I am extremely serious.
  3. No access to headphones -- I can't listen and judge.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Wow! What is the world coming to when a film score board doesn't mention a new release by one of it's greatest legends shocked

Yes, but who's that interested in these lesser-known titles? Are they in stereo?

BTW, I already have this title on order.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Just saw on IMDB.com that director Neil Burger (who's only done four films, all with a different composer [that includes "The Dark Fields"]) is adapting "Rats of NIMH", a sequel of the film Jerry scored, "The Secret of NIMH".

Disappointed he's no longer with us to score it. Wonder who the director will choose...
    (2013 release date)
  6. I think there is hope for somebody sensible, if the director is a film music fan. Don't underrate the producers though.

There are composers who mimic Jerry's voice very well. I wouldn't be shocked if the assignment went to Debney for example.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. but if the producers have the say, then I guess we'll end up with Ramin Djawadi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    Timmer wrote

I guess it's next to pointless mentioning the other Intrada release featuring a score by Gil Melle?

Well, I did have a listen to the Goldsmith clips, and thought the whole thing was kinda...meh...
    Not my style, really. Not at all.

I did order The Organization, though, which sounded properly cool....oh, AND Hawaii Five-O! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    I passed on Brotherhood too.
  8. I went for Brotherhood of The Bell and passed on The Organisation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    I passed on it all. I haven't bought a Goldsmith CD since....oh, I don't know, FSM reissued UNDER FIRE, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Twenty years ago I'd have scooped it up whether I heard a sample or not, I'm a very selective buyer now.
  9. My last Goldsmith purchase is definitely Lonely Are the Brave. A fantastic score, too.
  10. A Gathering of Eagles

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 4.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

Music Composed by Jerry Goldsmith

Representing Jerry Goldsmith's first foray into a contemporary military story, A Gathering of Eagles has been one of his most requested score for many years. Since the film's 1963 release, not one note of this score has ever been released, so even in a year overflowing with soundtrack releases once never thought possible, A Gathering of Eagles will be a highlight for many. And even more exciting than the fact this release is a premiere, the score itself is a thrilling classic – a genuine must for all Goldsmith fans.

Even in peacetime, the United States military must be in a constant state of preparedness, and through constant exercises and surprise drills, General Kirby (Kevin McCarthy) had tried to ensure this, but it wasn't working. Therefore he sought to replace his unit's beloved, yet soft, commanding officer with Colonel Jim Caldwell (Rock Hudson) – a no-nonsense, hard, nose-to-the-grindstone career soldier, who from the start makes his intentions clear – his unit will be the model of efficiency. Hardened by what he has seen, and saddened by what he had become, Col. Caldwell begins to alienate both those he would die for – his squadron – and the one person for whom he lives – his wife. In the ultimate battle between love and honor, an officer fights to once again show his wife that he can be a gentleman.

Directed by Delbert Mann (Marty, Night Crossing), A Gathering of Eagles is a much-loved military film featuring a brassy and beautiful early classic from Jerry Goldsmith.

1. Trademark and Prologue (:43)
    2. Alert and Main Title (2:13)
    3. Carmody A.F.B. (1:22)
    4. Grand Tour (2:26)
    5. The Titan (:46)
    6. Green Flash Alert (3:40)
    7. Victoria's Arrival (2:01)
    8. Do Not Disturb (3:16)
    9. Fueling Around (3:29)
    10. Out Of Contact (3:41)
    11. Flaps Up Landing (2:19)
    12. Aggravation (1:10)
    13. Surprise Encounter (1:32)
    14. Making Up (2:08)
    15. Broken Date (1:42)
    16. Fowler's Accident (3:02)
    17. Victoria's Plea (1:03)
    18. Therapy (3:56)
    19. It's An O.R.I. (1:31)
    20. Seating It Out (1:37)
    21. Hospital Beat (2:18)
    22. End Title (1:33)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    PATTON (2 CD)

Label: Intrada MAF 7110
    Date: 1970
    Tracks: 32
    Time = 77:45

At last! 2-CD set offers both complete Jerry Goldsmith original soundtrack (courtesy of 20th Century Fox) from legendary multi-Academy Award winning WWII film directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, with George C. Scott in dynamic title role PLUS first CD release of original 1970 Fox album Goldsmith recorded of his powerful score with London musicians (courtesy UMG). Much has been written about magnificent score, inventive use of trumpets playing triplet figures through echoplex (flutes do it, too!). Famous title march is masterful blend of triplets, exciting "patriotic" melody for piccolo, flute, trumpet, moving "religioso" line for organ, basses, low brass. Three musically diverse ideas work independently or meld perfectly, reflecting three complex facets of famous general. Intrada CD 1 presents complete soundtrack in chronological order (including opening trumpet salute recorded at sessions) then offers fascinating "extra" of trumpet echoplex session, spotlighting Goldsmith rehearsing & recording famous trumpet triplets with echoplex device. CD 2 offers first-ever CD release of 1970 album originally issued on 20th Century Fox label, presented from actual album masters. Goldsmith stated performance for these sessions were his favorite, offering best mixing of snare drum, crisp pizzicato strings, other details. Important difference between soundtrack and album versions: Film sequence necessarily presents almost all quiet music for first half then all loud music for second half. For album sessions, Goldsmith gives architecture of score more variety. Another striking difference: at album sessions, Goldsmith scored special dynamic fully-drawn version of his German march theme (quoted just twice in film in variations) to balance with familiar Patton march. Exciting arrangement made dramatic finish to first side of LP! Intrada presents this complete stereo album, including opening Patton speech (spoken by George C. Scott), closing speech as recorded for LP (mixed in mono with voice), then offers special world premiere "extra" of album end title in stereo without dialog! Julie Kirgo offers insights to film & score in detailed notes for booklet, original classic Fox LP artwork features on cover. Special two-disc set priced as a single disc! Jerry Goldsmith conducts both recordings. Intrada MAF series 2-CD set is definitive presentation of classic score, belongs in every film music library!

CD1 Original MOTION PICTURE Soundtrack

01. Patton Salute (Solo Bugle) 0:44
    02. Main Title 3:08
    03. The Battleground 2:14
    04. The Cemetery 2:42
    05. The First Battle 2:50
    06. The Funeral 1:54
    07. The Hospital 3:36
    08. The Prayer 1:11
    09. No Assignment 2:23
    10. Patton March 1:53
    11. Attack 3:15
    12. German Advance 2:32
    13. An Eloquent Man 1:43
    14. The Payoff 2:26
    15. A Change Of Weather 1:23
    16. Pensive Patton 0:16
    17. End Title 2:20

Total Soundtrack Time: 37:03

Soundtrack Extra

18. Echoplex Session 5:29

CD 1 Total Time: 42:43

CD2 Original 1970 Score Album

01. Patton Speech 4:54
    [spoken by George C. Scott]
    02. Main Title 2:17
    03. The Battleground 2:19
    04. The First Battle 2:48
    05. Attack 3:14
    06. The Funeral 1:53
    07. Winter March 1:55
    08. Patton March 2:04
    09. No Assignment 1:59
    10. German Advance 2:31
    11. The Hospital 3:18
    12. The Payoff 2:22
    13. End Title & Speech 1:01
    [spoken by George C. Scott]

Total Score Album Time: 33:46

Album Extra

14. End Title [sans dialogue] 1:11 Hear This Track

CD 2 Total Time: 35:02

Price: $19.99
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. I noticed this over at Intrada. Nice for those who like this score. Interesting that it spills over to 2 CDs. Could the small print have decided that the original album be kept on a separate CD? Nice to see Intrada doing a good price for the 2CDs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A fantastic score, legendary even, and one that I love a lot but I've got more than enough Patton music so I'll pass thankyou.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    A Gathering of Eagles

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 4.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

Music Composed by Jerry Goldsmith

Representing Jerry Goldsmith's first foray into a contemporary military story, A Gathering of Eagles has been one of his most requested score for many years. Since the film's 1963 release, not one note of this score has ever been released, so even in a year overflowing with soundtrack releases once never thought possible, A Gathering of Eagles will be a highlight for many. And even more exciting than the fact this release is a premiere, the score itself is a thrilling classic – a genuine must for all Goldsmith fans.

Even in peacetime, the United States military must be in a constant state of preparedness, and through constant exercises and surprise drills, General Kirby (Kevin McCarthy) had tried to ensure this, but it wasn't working. Therefore he sought to replace his unit's beloved, yet soft, commanding officer with Colonel Jim Caldwell (Rock Hudson) – a no-nonsense, hard, nose-to-the-grindstone career soldier, who from the start makes his intentions clear – his unit will be the model of efficiency. Hardened by what he has seen, and saddened by what he had become, Col. Caldwell begins to alienate both those he would die for – his squadron – and the one person for whom he lives – his wife. In the ultimate battle between love and honor, an officer fights to once again show his wife that he can be a gentleman.

Directed by Delbert Mann (Marty, Night Crossing), A Gathering of Eagles is a much-loved military film featuring a brassy and beautiful early classic from Jerry Goldsmith.

1. Trademark and Prologue (:43)
    2. Alert and Main Title (2:13)
    3. Carmody A.F.B. (1:22)
    4. Grand Tour (2:26)
    5. The Titan (:46)
    6. Green Flash Alert (3:40)
    7. Victoria's Arrival (2:01)
    8. Do Not Disturb (3:16)
    9. Fueling Around (3:29)
    10. Out Of Contact (3:41)
    11. Flaps Up Landing (2:19)
    12. Aggravation (1:10)
    13. Surprise Encounter (1:32)
    14. Making Up (2:08)
    15. Broken Date (1:42)
    16. Fowler's Accident (3:02)
    17. Victoria's Plea (1:03)
    18. Therapy (3:56)
    19. It's An O.R.I. (1:31)
    20. Seating It Out (1:37)
    21. Hospital Beat (2:18)
    22. End Title (1:33)

I missed this!

Has anyone bought it? Heard it?
  12. I have it.

For me it's a score of two halfs: one a brass and snare drum-laden actioneer (to fit in with the military setting I suppose) and the second half a more romance drizzled effort. I much prefer the former to the latter.

On balance, I've found it a worthy purchase.